Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
ow88
ow88 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
How can I register my Nook from Canada?

Hi everyone I'm new on this board. Lately I discovered I cannot open my default article in my daily. And I figured it might have something to do with my Nook being in the state it is unregistered. Any ideas or workarounds to this? The Nook is brand new btw so I know it's not a defect. Everything else runs smoothly, except for my daily. I am on wifi and I heard about the sim card trick, but I still don't understand that too well, besides something irks me about popping the back lid off of my electronics. Thank you for your help!

Last edited by ow88; 02-16-2010 at 08:59 PM.
ow88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, ow88.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
klay
klay began at the beginning.

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ow88 View Post
Hi everyone I'm new on this board. Lately I discovered I cannot open my default article in my daily. And I figured it might have something to do with my Nook being in the state it is unregistered. Any ideas or workarounds to this? The Nook is brand new btw so I know it's not a defect. Everything else runs smoothly, except for my daily. I am on wifi and I heard about the sim card trick, but I still don't understand that too well, besides something irks me about popping the back lid off of my electronics. Thank you for your help!
Thats correct, you will only be able to access the Daily once its registered.

The registration most commonly fails due to the date/time not being set yet.

It seems to set its date time with ntp from the AT&T network. So until you can connect with this (ie you are in the US) you wont be able to register.

Work around is mentioned at - http://nookdevs.com/Tips_and_tricks#...tering_Problem

basically, softroot the nook, set the date and time and try again, this worked for me from australia.

Of course, if you are close the border and you dont want to softroot the nook, you could just take a trip to the states!
klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Do you have the 1.20 firmware? I remember reading other threads where people from other countries were able to register their nooks after the upgrade. The new firmware gives you the ability to adjust your time zone settings.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you upgrade to the latest firmware 1.2, you will definitely be able to register and sync your time correctly via home Wifi; and download Daily including B&N online book search.

It works in my country too (Thailand).
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
ow88

Hey everyone, I am so thankful for your responses. I did the update but when I tried registering, it said:

"Could not register

Could not connect. Please try again or contact Customer Service Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK (843-2665).
Error c7852"

Darn!

Any ideas guys?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sorry, may be this is a stupid question.

Do you already have B&N account? You need to create one on B&N website first before you can register your Nook.

Did you connect with your home wifi?

Last edited by bthoven; 02-16-2010 at 11:53 PM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:51 AM   #8
ow88

Hi there, yes I already do have an BN account.

Yes, the wifi is connected in my home.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:02 AM   #9
TogTogTogTog
TogTogTogTog began at the beginning.

I would contact that Nook phone number and ask them what Error c7852 actually is. Because I've just received my Nook in Australia, connected it to my wi-fi and bam, instant registration.

Quick Question though ow88... Have you actually connected to your wifi? Eg. gone to Settings, Wi-Fi, New Hotspot, and connected to your wi-fi? Because I did notice when I got my Nook it was saying 'Connected' to my internet, but hadn't actually connected because it needed the password.
TogTogTogTog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:30 AM   #10
ow88

Yeah I did try giving BN a call, before I even posted this and after. They're always so busy on the phone line and sometimes they even hang up on me??

Hmm that is interesting. I checked my wifi status and it says it's "ON". But the hotspot wifi is off. Do I have to connect to my hotspot as well? I'm not home, but I'll definitely give that a try when I do get the chance then let you guys know if it worked or not. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-17-2010, 04:05 AM   #11
bleugh
Enthusiast
bleugh began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by klay View Post

basically, softroot the nook, set the date and time and try again, this worked for me from australia.

Of course, if you are close the border and you dont want to softroot the nook, you could just take a trip to the states!
when did you order your nook? and how!, mine's still not 'ere yet, D'oh
ordered on 12th Dec with priceusa, looks like B&N have stiffed 'em for ordering so many
bleugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:39 AM   #12
TogTogTogTog
TogTogTogTog began at the beginning.

I would more likely be looking at PriceUSA bleugh. I ordered mine on the 29th of January, it shipped out on the 8th of Feb, arrived at my friend's house in America on the 11th and she shipped it down to Australia and it arrived on the 16th (for my birthday). So two weeks from when I ordered it to arrive here or 8 days from B&N to Australia.

ow88 when you get home go to 'Settings' -> 'Wi-Fi' -> 'Wi-Fi Hotspot' and select your network. I think thats for V1.2. For V1.0 go to 'Settings' -> 'Wi-Fi' -> 'Wi-Fi Hotspot' -> 'Add New Hotspot[sic?]' and select your network.
TogTogTogTog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #13
crod
crod began at the beginning.

Nothing special at all needs to be done. I got mine in December and registered immediately over my Wi-Fi at home (I am in Ottawa, Canada). Even with the time being wrong at the time, it worked.
Make sure your Wi-Fi is indeed working properly on the Nook (you can for example check which IP address it got from your router and then try a PING to see if it responds).

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #14
ow88

Hi guys I'm back, so I connected my hotspot and the registration was successful! Thank you so much you guys. I really appreciate all of your help
Old 02-18-2010, 03:56 AM   #15
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by crod View Post
Even with the time being wrong at the time, it worked.
A wrong time setting doesn't say anything about the date setting. But the date is the thing that matters. Depeding on the production center, in which your nook was assembled, it is shipped with a nearly current date setting or a setting in the year 2000. With the latter one, it's impossible to register the nook.

The current 1.2 firmware uses ntp over wifi, if available, to set the clock. The previous versions only use the cellular phone network. If you got a nook with absolutely wrong date setting and don't have ATT access, the only way to register with an old firmware, is to set the date using the ADB shell on a rooted nook.

Bye,
Dominik
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote