Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
muellerbenjamin
muellerbenjamin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Major issue with Calibre email functionality

Hi all,

I've spent a couple of hours trying to set up Calibre to send books to my Kindle via Gmail. No success, unfortunately.

In essence, I always get the same error message when sendning a test e-mail:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/wizard/send_email.py", line 173, in test_email_settings
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 113, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtplib.py", line 617, in login
SMTPAuthenticationError: (535, '5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at\n5.7.8 http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=14257 mb7sm3889396wic.10 - gsmtp')

Username and password are correct. I have tried the following:
1. Create & use application-specific password
2. Create new dedicated Gmail account for Calibre and use with & without application-specific password
3. Changing SMTP Port from 587 to 465 and encryption from TLS to SSL

None of these worked. With method 3, interestingly, Calibre regularly froze and had to be force-closed.

So I've run out of ideas regarding how to fix this.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
muellerbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Did you follow these tips from the FAQ
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#id32
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
muellerbenjamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Did you follow these tips from the FAQ
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#id32
Yes I have. My AV program's Mail shield shows no activity so that shouldn't be the reason.

As the error description indicates, the issue is related to Google rejecting the username/password as well as application-specific passwords. Is there a workaround?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is most likely caused by something incorrect in your gmail config. What that might be, I haven't the foggiest idea, though the link to the gmail help docs in that error message provides several clues.

I will note that I personally use gmail with calibre's email sending functionality every day.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
muellerbenjamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This is most likely caused by something incorrect in your gmail config. What that might be, I haven't the foggiest idea, though the link to the gmail help docs in that error message provides several clues.

I will note that I personally use gmail with calibre's email sending functionality every day.

Well there is hardly something 'incorrect' in my Gmail config, since my Gmail works just fine. I use Gmail for a whole host of external applications ('connected applications'): ITunes Google Sync; ipad mail; iphone chrome; Mac calendar; Mac mail; Mac notes; dropbox, camscanner etc. etc.

What all of the above have in common is that their Google logon node is built into the Gmail API.

I think a more sober assessment would be: there is some unknown compatiblity/configuration issue that Calibre has regarding email sending functionality in Gmail.

My hunch is it is an issue with 2-step verification accounts. I think Calibre's 'ad hoc'/independent/unverified login node is likely to be treated with suspicion by Google's servers.

You should explore the possibility with Google of making Calibre's Gmail functionality official.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by muellerbenjamin View Post
You should ......
I always love when someone is asking for help and begins their last sentence with this phrase.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If Calibre was a Google product:

You would have to register to use most functionality
Be connected so Google could harvest all your book search results.
Watch 32 Ads before being allowed to Click OK
Receive endless updates to get around various blocking tools you now employ.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by muellerbenjamin View Post
My hunch is it is an issue with 2-step verification accounts.
Since sending books from calibre using gmail works fine for me you may be correct in pointing out that 2-step verification may be the hitch preventing your account from functioning. If this proves to be the case then the simple work around (until calibre works with 2-step verification) would be to create an account for simply sending books and leave the account setup with standard authentication.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I thought two step security also allowed the creation of application specific passwords, is back to the classic single password.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I thought two step security also allowed the creation of application specific passwords, is back to the classic single password.
I don't know how it works, but a quick look shows the OP can exempt that computer after logging in one time.

Quote:
During sign-in, you can tell us not to ask for a code again on that particular computer. From then on, that computer will only ask for your password when you sign in.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also see Sign in using application-specific passwords
Old 10-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
So it looks like there may be something 'incorrect' in the OP's Gmail config, since Gmail makes available the necessary tools to allow gmail to work just fine with calibre.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Exactly! My calibre / gmail setup has been using an application specific password for a very long time now.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre's email sending functionality uses the bog standard SMTP protocol as implemented in the python standard library. I really dont see any scope for bugs in it, but, anything is possible As I said, I haven't a clue as to what the bug could be, but, patches are always welcome.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #15
muellerbenjamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
I always love when someone is asking for help and begins their last sentence with this phrase.
I have a problem with Calibre. I tried to fix it by running through all conceivable scenarios (see my OP), and run against some invisible obstacle. Instead of just complaining, I offer a suggestion as to what that invisible obstacle *may* be. So I don't see your logic at all. You're the one who is moaning for moaning's sake instead of being constructive. Thanks for a completely unnecessary and ignorant post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If Calibre was a Google product...
Patently untrue. Look at how Dropbox has integrated Gmail, or CamScanner, or most applications with some kind of email functionality. I'm not saying sell Calibre to Google, I'm suggesting that Calibre integrates Gmail's API for its email capability, which should make it more stable. The current situation where some users are simply unable to use Gmail in Calibre - the forums are full of users reporting this issue! - is unsatisfactory, and is probably due to the ad-hoc integration of Gmail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
create an account for simply sending books and leave the account setup with standard authentication.
Thank you for the constructive suggestion. As per my OP (see point 2.) I have tried this approach, unsuccessfully, unfortunately.

Quote:
Thank you for the helpful tip. I tried this approach (see OP), it didn't work unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
So it looks like there may be something 'incorrect' in the OP's Gmail config
I won't discount that possibility. However, I haven't a clue as to what I should configure differently. Any ideas?

It is interesting how some users react to my problem in a defensive/sarcastic manner. I harbour no ill intentions, I simply have an issue with Calibre that I wanted to seek some advice for, and suggest potential solutions. As it stands, I still cannot send emails through Calibre. I am also willing to set up a new account with a different email provider, and use their SMTP server, but I don't know of any alternatives.