Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
BusinessWeek: Significant increase in e-book sales in 2007

According to this week's print edition of Business Week (March 24, 2008), e-book sales increased 59% in 2007 over 2006 based on wholesale U.S. revenues of trade book publishers. That's a significant increase, particularly when compared to the less-than-stellar increase (actually a slight decline) in p-book sales.

Also of interest are these statistics from the same page: Americans ages 20-34 spend on average 10 minutes a day reading for pleasure. Those 35-44 spend about 13 minutes; 45-54 spend about 19 minutes; 55-64 spend about 32 minutes; and 65-74 spend about 46 minutes.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
the increase in sales is encouraging. maybe content will start to follow.

as for the decrease in minutes of reading per day, i wonder if it's more because the older generations were brought up with the idea of recreational reading (in which case the decline is alarming), or because students / working people have less free time for *anything* than retired people (in which case again the increase is encouraging...). i know in my case, work gets in the way of a *lot* of things i would rather do...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 PM   #3
TommyCooper
Enthusiast
TommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket Reader, CyBook, Asus EEE PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
the increase in sales is encouraging. maybe content will start to follow.

as for the decrease in minutes of reading per day, i wonder if it's more because the older generations were brought up with the idea of recreational reading (in which case the decline is alarming), or because students / working people have less free time for *anything* than retired people (in which case again the increase is encouraging...). i know in my case, work gets in the way of a *lot* of things i would rather do...

zelda, you will find as you get older and you need to wear a bib to soak-up that unintentioned saliva dribbling from your mouth [ not yours personally you understand ], that the only physical activity you can indulge in is...reading. This simply involves ensuring that the eyelids are prised open and that the eyeballs have some residual movement. I assure you it has nothing to do with ideas or habits, simply age and the availability of time.
TommyCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
what an apt yet witty reply, old chap ! have some karma...

(hey, shouldn't you be asleep by now ? i should... in fact, i'm going *right* *now*)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:35 PM   #5
TommyCooper
Enthusiast
TommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket Reader, CyBook, Asus EEE PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
what an apt yet witty reply, old chap ! have some karma...

(hey, shouldn't you be asleep by now ? i should... in fact, i'm going *right* *now*)
zelda, yes I should..and I am, very shortly...and just to annoy you...here's some stuff for you also. And.....less of the 'old chap' you saucy young minx.

Tommy
TommyCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Also of interest are these statistics from the same page: Americans ages 20-34 spend on average 10 minutes a day reading for pleasure. Those 35-44 spend about 13 minutes; 45-54 spend about 19 minutes; 55-64 spend about 32 minutes; and 65-74 spend about 46 minutes.
I'm not 50 yet, and I get in 2-3 hours reading a day!

(But I really should exercise more.)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
So by "reading for pleasure" are they counting online reading? I probably spend more than 13 minutes here most days, plus I have other news sites, blogs and forums that I read on pretty much a daily basis before we even start counting time I spend with paper media or my Kindle.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #8
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post

I get in about that much reading for pleasure a day too... in my case I'm giving up sleep as well as exercise... but one has to have priorities
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
So by "reading for pleasure" are they counting online reading? I probably spend more than 13 minutes here most days, plus I have other news sites, blogs and forums that I read on pretty much a daily basis before we even start counting time I spend with paper media or my Kindle.
Glad you still consider reading on this site "pleasure reading".
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:00 PM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post

You should spend more time writing. I finished the The Onuissance Cells and The First Expedition (and I want more of this world). And I am a just about finished with Berserker (the Kestral Voyages), and I know I am gonna want more of that.

So forget the exercise, and put the fingers to the keyboard, Mr. Jordan!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
You should spend more time writing. I finished the The Onuissance Cells and The First Expedition (and I want more of this world). And I am a just about finished with Berserker (the Kestral Voyages), and I know I am gonna want more of that.

Doin' that too, doin' that too.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:46 AM   #12
cassle
Enthusiast
cassle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, iPhone
Who'll need an exercise if u've taken it with your eyes, fingers, and thougts?
Quote:
I'm agree with you.. (lol)
cassle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #13
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I find these statistics, as worded here, unbelievable. Surely Americans ages 20-34 spend much more than 10 minutes a day reading for pleasure--for instance, reading blogs, websites, online newspapers, emails, etc. Or does this specifically mean reading books?
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
I find these statistics, as worded here, unbelievable. Surely Americans ages 20-34 spend much more than 10 minutes a day reading for pleasure--for instance, reading blogs, websites, online newspapers, emails, etc. Or does this specifically mean reading books?
I suspect that this just means there is a huge range between some pleasure readers (like me, 2-3 hours a day) and others ("Pfft! I never read, man!"), and the guys like you and me are seriously outnumbered, which brings the average numbers down pretty low.

Tags
businessweek, e-book sales, publisher