Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you generall prefer to read books by authors of you own gender?
I'm a woman and prefer to read books by women authors 17 8.17%
I'm a woman and prefer to read books by men authors 4 1.92%
I'm a woman and there is no clear gender bias to the authors I read 64 30.77%
I'm a man and prefer to read books by men authors 26 12.50%
I'm a man and prefer to read books by women authors 4 1.92%
I'm a man and there is no clear gender bias to the authors I read 86 41.35%
My gender is undetermined, and I read books primarily by women authors 0 0%
My gender is undetermined, and I read books primarily by men authors 1 0.48%
My gender is undetermined, and there is no clear gender bias to the authors of the books I read 6 2.88%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2010, 06:39 AM   #91
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I haven't read them yet, but based on "The Year of the Flood", I'd be VERY surprised if the romance was of the "Heaving Bosoms" sort!
I'd say romance of "the heaving bosoms" sort rarely strays out of genre romance and chick-lit, and there are, after, all a good deal of women writers who writes general and literary literature. I rarely read genre literature because I find the stories too stereotypical in general, but I do like to read books about human relationships.

I'm beginning to think this is an extremely difficult topic to discuss because we are not clear or agreed about our definitions - and people have such varied tastes.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #92
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I'm beginning to think this is an extremely difficult topic to discuss because we are not clear or agreed about our definitions - and people have such varied tastes.
And since when has that stopped us at MR?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 07:16 AM   #93
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
And since when has that stopped us at MR?
Never!!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #94
nguirado
Wizard
nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Seriously, men usually don't like overtly womanly stuff (as opposed to overt women, whom they do tend to like). They don't watch Project Runway or soap operas. Women may more often like overtly guy stuff (300, Tom Clancy, Dungeons and Dragons), but I'm not sure. There are some things that transcend genre. Jane Austen had very feminine concerns, but was such a genius that her work wins my admiration and I very much enjoy reading her novels.

Last edited by nguirado; 09-15-2010 at 12:04 PM.
nguirado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #95
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nguirado View Post
Seriously, men usually don't like overtly womanly stuff (as opposed to overt women, whom they do tend to like). They don't watch Project Runway or soap operas. Women may more often like overtly guy stuff (300, Tom Clancy, Dungeons and Dragons), but I'm not sure. There are some things that transcend genre. Jane Austen had very feminine concerns, but was such a genius that her work wins my admiration and I very much enjoy reading her novels.
I think a lot of women authors in the Science Fiction and Fantasy realm DO transcend gender biases for me at least. But if I may add a bias of my own to the discussion, it has been my observation that women don't do swordfight scenes very well.

I think it may be related to the FACT that few females of any age can make believable gun and racecar sounds with their mouth. Oh, some can make weak "Kew! Kew!" sounds or a "Vroom! Vroom" sound that is 'Almost' right in a generic sense, but still lacking in the delicate aural shading and colors that would indicate the size and power of the gun or automobile they are pretending to use. It's almost like they just don't care, and that can't be, because the type of gun or car you are pretending to use is important information to convey.

Man, I love coffee. . .
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #96
Ea
Wizard

Quote:

I think it may be related to the FACT that few females of any age can make believable gun and racecar sounds with their mouth. Oh, some can make weak "Kew! Kew!" sounds or a "Vroom! Vroom" sound that is 'Almost' right in a generic sense, but still lacking in the delicate aural shading and colors that would indicate the size and power of the gun or automobile they are pretending to use. It's almost like they just don't care, and that can't be, because the type of gun or car you are pretending to use is important information to convey.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #97
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
I haven't read them yet, but based on "The Year of the Flood", I'd be VERY surprised if the romance was of the "Heaving Bosoms" sort!
Is it me, or is there a slight feminist tinge to the novels of Margaret Atwood?

I don't go for writers with an unsubtle political agenda, and I think some female 'literary' authors lay it on a bit thick (Fay Weldon, A. S, Byatt et al). That's not to say men don't do it too, e.g. 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' and 'His Dark Materials' both suffer from heavy-handed pontificating.
But I feel many women writers, perhaps from a justified sense of grievance, can't resist delivering a 'message' of some sort or other; and it is seldom acheived without harming the book.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #98
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
I tend to male for SF and female for crime. For non fiction it is subject driven.
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #99
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
[QUOTE=nguirado;1110669]Seriously, men usually don't like overtly womanly stuff (as opposed to overt women, whom they do tend to like). They don't watch Project Runway or soap operas. QUOTE]

Hey, my husband watches "Say yes to the dress" with me every week and enjoys it (really, he doesn't just say that to make me happy)
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #100
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Hey, my husband watches "Say yes to the dress" with me every week and enjoys it (really, he doesn't just say that to make me happy)
No, I'm sure that he is doing it just so that you'll say yes to undress.

(Okay, I've never heard of "Say Yes to the Dress" I just couldn't pass that by.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #101
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Is it me, or is there a slight feminist tinge to the novels of Margaret Atwood?

I don't go for writers with an unsubtle political agenda, and I think some female 'literary' authors lay it on a bit thick (Fay Weldon, A. S, Byatt et al). That's not to say men don't do it too, e.g. 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' and 'His Dark Materials' both suffer from heavy-handed pontificating.
But I feel many women writers, perhaps from a justified sense of grievance, can't resist delivering a 'message' of some sort or other; and it is seldom acheived without harming the book.
I'm sure you're right about Atwood's feminist tinge, although for me it doesn't get in the way of the book as her political agenda does.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #102
horse_girl
Enthusiast
horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook, Motorola Droid
Oddly, I prefer reading books by men more than women. Of the women SFF authors I've read, too many focus on the relationship and not enough on the action. I don't know if this is a publisher suggestion or an author preference in how they develop their stories. I tend to avoid women authors unless one has reviews that indicate the story is developed all around. I enjoy love stories, just not romances. The romantic part should be secondary and not feel forced. In SFF I actually prefer the sex be behind the curtain or off stage, whatever analogy you want. It doesn't add anything to a story for me. I want action and intrigue, not bedroom talk. With male authors, I'm more likely to get that.
horse_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #103
nguirado
Wizard
nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=Pookeysgirl;1111271]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nguirado View Post
Seriously, men usually don't like overtly womanly stuff (as opposed to overt women, whom they do tend to like). They don't watch Project Runway or soap operas. QUOTE]

Your husband obviously loves you very much to do such a thing and not complain.

My wife kicks me out during Bachelorette because I make disrupting comments.

(Hint to husbands: If you can, prevent your wife from watching any shows that give her the opportunity to turn around and ask, "why don't you do that?")
Old 09-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #104
nguirado
Wizard

An excellent Sci-fi book by a female author is "Children of Men." I don't mind a little bit of a message as long as I agree with it.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #105
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
[QUOTE=nguirado;1111410]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post

Your husband obviously loves you very much to do such a thing and not complain.

My wife kicks me out during Bachelorette because I make disrupting comments.

(Hint to husbands: If you can, prevent your wife from watching any shows that give her the opportunity to turn around and ask, "why don't you do that?")
We were married only a week and a half ago, he better love me!

I'm glad he's not a MR member, so he won't see your hint
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote