Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 03:55 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thumbs up Excellent modern take on Sherlock Holmes

The BBC have started showing a short series of Sherlock Holmes stories in a modern setting. I was sceptical at the idea when I heard it, but I have to say that, as very much of a Sherlock Holmes fan, I was extremely impressed with the result. The first one, "A Study in Pink" was, of course, a rewrite of the very first Sherlock Holmes story, "A Study in Scarlet", and was pretty faithful to the original, with all sorts of throw-away lines that are a homage to the original story. The stories are told from the viewpoint of Dr. John Watson who, just as in the original, is a British Army doctor wounded in Afghanistan, but a Watson very much in keeping with Conan Doyle's original, not the "bumbling fool" so very often unfortunately portrayed in film adaptations.

The stories are written by Mark Gattis, a name that will be familiar to any "Doctor Who" fan as being the script-writer for many of the very best stories in the revival of Doctor Who.

A pretty long story - 2h 25m (without commercials, of course, being the BBC). Nice to have a decent-length drama to tell a story in detail, rather than trying to cram everything into an hour.

I'm really looking forward to the other two in the series.

Did anyone else see this? Did you love it or hate it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Sounds interesting. Is there a trailer or teaser video somewhere to check out?
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Did anyone else see this? Did you love it or hate it?
Yes, I saw it. An excellent production. I'm very much looking forward to the rest of the series.

It's available for viewing (probably just from UK IP addresses) at the BBC iplayer web site until 10:30 on Sunday 15th. (i.e. one week after broadcast.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...Study_in_Pink/

It's quite fun seeing how much of an alternative universe it's set in. It's obviously one in which Sir Arthur Conan Doyle never wrote the Sherlock Holmes stories. (And so Neil Gaiman never wrote A Study in Emerald, and the TV series House never got made.)

From the first episode, it also seems likely that in this alternate universe,
Spoiler:
William Goldman didn't write A Princess Bride. Unless this new SH just happened to never see the film or read the book.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
PeteS
Enthusiast
PeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Harry,

Totally agree with your review - it was a refreshingly modern take on the old Sherlock Holmes films. The interpretation of both Sherlock and Dr Watson were much more believable to me than say Basil Rathbone or Peter Cushing. I have never really been that keen on Sherlock Holmes either as books or as portrayed in films. However if this new series maintains the standard of the first tale then perhaps I'll have another try at the original tales.

Cheers,

PeteS
PeteS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'll progam the next episode. And hope they'll repeat it one day!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I agree. I was pleasantly surprised. I almost didn't bother to look, but I am pleased that I did.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I loved the thing with the nicotine patches .
Old 07-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I had low expectations (not being a Dr Who fan) and ended up with mixed feelings.
What I thought good - Dr Watson wasn't a bumbling character, the incidental music was good, some imaginative touches (e.g. how texts were used and displayed).
Not so good - Cumberbatch didn't do it for me as Sherlock; the plot wasn't up to much; the villain was disappointing; as was the acting of Mark Gatiss in a role that looks to be an ongoing one (he cannot do sinister; and it's about time someone told him!).

6/10 - I'll be giving the rest a miss .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The stories are written by Mark Gattis, a name that will be familiar to any "Doctor Who" fan as being the script-writer for many of the very best stories in the revival of Doctor Who.

A pretty long story - 2h 25m (without commercials, of course, being the BBC).
P.S. Aren't they written by Steven Moffat rather than Mark Gatiss?
Oh, and it was 1hr 25m.

Last edited by Sparrow; 07-27-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You are correct - I misread the credits. CREATED BY Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, who wrote one episode each. Steven Moffat did indeed write this one; Mark Gatiss wrote the final one.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What was the significance of 'Rache' being scratched in the floorboards (apart from the connection to 'A Study in Scarlet')?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
kewlness! I wonder how long it will take to get to the states?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
What was the significance of 'Rache' being scratched in the floorboards (apart from the connection to 'A Study in Scarlet')?
Spoiler:
It was an attempt to write "rachel", which was the victim's password to her on-line phone tracking service.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #13
Sparrow
Wizard

- I missed that connection .
Old 07-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sparrow,

Spoiler:
This is one of the many things I was referring to when I said that it paid homage to the original. It's a joke put there for fans of the original story. In the original, Lestrade sees the word "Rache" written on the wall, and thinks that the victim was trying to write "Rachel", and hence goes off looking for a woman of that name, until Holmes points out that "Rache" is the German word for "revenge". Here, Lestrade thinks it means "Revenge", but Holmes realises that she had been trying to write "Rachel".
Old 07-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #15
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
When I first heard that the BBC was doing a Sherlock Holmes for the 21st Century, I was convinced it would be rubbish, but I decided to watch just out of curiosity. I have to admit that it was very cleverly done. Full if nice little echoes of the original (like the "three nicotine patch problem"; and the text message, "Come at once if convenient. If not convenient, come anyway").

Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote