Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #31
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Thank you for correcting this mistake, I edited the first post !
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:21 AM   #32
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
halljames : that's because the links in the stanza.xml file are broken, Calibre uses a function called urlencode to convert special characters in these links, and Stanza does not understand all of them (I'm pretty sure it's a Stanza bug).
Stanza is quite happy with the brackets being URL encoded. I do this in my Calibre2Web program and Stanza works fine with the generated catalogs. The only reason for not having them URL encoded would be to make them human readable. I never expected an average user to look inside the xml catalog files so did not deem this to be important.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #33
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

itimpi : trust me, I tried publishing the stanza.xml catalog (generated by versions of Calibre anterior to 6.0.24) as is with Stanza on the iPhone (published on Dropbox, and before that on an Apache website), and the links didn't work. When I manually edited the file to change the %28 and %29 to parentheses, it worked... Go figure, but this is empirical evidence
Old 11-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #34
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
itimpi : trust me, I tried publishing the stanza.xml catalog (generated by versions of Calibre anterior to 6.0.24) as is with Stanza on the iPhone (published on Dropbox, and before that on an Apache website), and the links didn't work. When I manually edited the file to change the %28 and %29 to parentheses, it worked... Go figure, but this is empirical evidence
Ditto!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #35
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
You know... I looked for the %28 and %29 in the generated xml file and found none...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #36
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

rcuadro : these are parentheses, and therefore if none of your books titles or authors names contain parentheses, you won't find them - and then Stanza will not complain !

Lucky you
Old 11-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #37
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cron jobs are things that a Unix/Linux computer can be set to do at a certain time every day. Often used for things like creating daily backup files, or downloading files when the network is not busy at night.

dpierron: What do you mean by "publish your library" for step 1? Do you mean change Calibre's setting so it saves automatically into your dropbox whenever you make a change? Do you still have to copy your existing files over manually?
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #38
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
rcuadro : these are parentheses, and therefore if none of your books titles or authors names contain parentheses, you won't find them - and then Stanza will not complain !

Lucky you
Lucky me... though I just noticed that not all my books actually show up. Wierd.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #39
Kilroy
Kilroy began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
dpierron, you rock. I just thought of Dropbox + Calibre + Stanza a couple of days ago, finally got around to searching on Google this morning... and see that you thought of it not too long ago either :-)

Your guide is extremely helpful -- was able to follow it and get it set up in a matter of minutes. Thank you!
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #40
Kilroy
Kilroy began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Based on another thread on this forum (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62701 ), I'd like to recommend that you update your first post to include a best practice for using Calibre + Dropbox:

"Always close Calibre after using it, because otherwise the metadata.db file won't be synced correctly, which will lead to problems if you open Calibre on another computer."

Or something like that :-)
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:55 AM   #41
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

robotech_master : I mean that you have to set up DropBox so that your Calibre library folder is shared in the DropBox cloud, and set up as public : basically, either put it in the My Dropbox/Public folder, or make a symbolic link from your actual Calibre library folder to something in the My Dropbox/Public folder (in a Unix, use ln -s, in Windows use junction).

Kilroy : thanks for the compliment, it's really nice to see that I helped so many people ! Also, regarding the metadata.db, while it's locked Dropbox won't be able to publish it, but as soon as Calibre exits (as you said, in fact) it will be released and Dropbox is smart enough to quickly publish it (maybe this is the problem Devon was speaking about yesterday ?).

Ortep : I tried Live Mesh, and while it's nice to have 5Gb of free space, there is no Mac client (yet) and (more of a problem) I didn't find out how to get a public URL to a file in the Live Mesh cloud ; did you ? I submitted a ticket to Microsoft, but as far as I know them I'll never get an answer
Old 11-20-2009, 05:51 AM   #42
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:

Ortep : I tried Live Mesh, and while it's nice to have 5Gb of free space, there is no Mac client (yet) and (more of a problem) I didn't find out how to get a public URL to a file in the Live Mesh cloud ; did you ? I submitted a ticket to Microsoft, but as far as I know them I'll never get an answer
Call me paranoid, but I am so glad that I am rid of MS for good and that my system is so stable yet flexible that every MS thing gives me a bad toothache! Dropbox works absolutely great on my Ubuntu 9.10 system and so is O'Reilly's bookworm and Calibre's content server. Why bother about Live Mesh at all?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:07 AM   #43
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
There is a Mac Client around for about a year now

https://www.mesh.com/Welcome/features/features.aspx
  1. Mac*
  2. Add a Mac to your mesh. Sync and share folders between your PC and your Mac. Or your friend’s Mac. Or between two Macs. Live Mesh gives you cross-platform functionality, so you can maximize your mesh.
  3. * Some Live Mesh features not yet available for the Mac
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:07 AM   #44
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Call me paranoid, but I am so glad that I am rid of MS for good and that my system is so stable yet flexible that every MS thing gives me a bad toothache! Dropbox works absolutely great on my Ubuntu 9.10 system and so is O'Reilly's bookworm and Calibre's content server. Why bother about Live Mesh at all?
Because, as my mother used to say, "ne mets pas tous tes oeufs dans le même panier" (french for "don't put all your eggs in the same basket"), which means that it's good to have choices...

Maybe one day DropBox will become paying, and we'll be happy to have investigated other services ?

But in the meantime you're quite right, Microsoft services are usually bad on platforms other than Windows, and DropBox just works ... wait for it ... out of the box
Old 11-20-2009, 06:09 AM   #45
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
There is a Mac Client around for about a year now

https://www.mesh.com/Welcome/features/features.aspx
  1. Mac*
  2. Add a Mac to your mesh. Sync and share folders between your PC and your Mac. Or your friend’s Mac. Or between two Macs. Live Mesh gives you cross-platform functionality, so you can maximize your mesh.
  3. * Some Live Mesh features not yet available for the Mac
Ok, thanks for pointing this out, I didn't try and thought that they said it was in the works... Did you manage to get a public URL though ?