Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
dmg
dmg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Recommendations for Mobipocket Dictionary?

Hello Everyone,
I'm looking for recommendations on which mobipocket English/American dictionary I should purchase. Also, do you think it is better to order a dictionary from the mobipocket website or is that unimportant in terms of working with other mobipocket ebooks?
Thanks in advance,
Dawn
dmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:11 AM   #2
Joerg_Mosthaf
Connoisseur
Joerg_Mosthaf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2i, iPhone
I like my Concise Oxford English Dictionary. I bought it from fictionwise as they had (or still have at the moment of posting) a 25% micropay rebate. Works nicely, has a lot of words (240.000) and for some of them "word histories" which tell you where that word came from - quite interesting

All mobipocket resellers use the same DRM so you just have to add your new device ID, recrypt and redownload. This works for up to 4 devices at the same time, but IIRC you can replace older IDs, so no problem.
As long as your reader can read the book there should be no problem looking up words.
Joerg_Mosthaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are many posts on dictionaries, but one good thread is New dictionary and Gen3 (note that post #20 starts a general dictionary recommendation discussion). The Gen3 uses MobiPocket dictionaries.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:16 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have - and would thoroughly recommend - the Unabridged Chambers dictionary, 10th edition. It's more exensive than the Oxford, but a lot more comprehensive.

It is, however, a British English dictionary - I don't know if the original owner is looking for a British or American English dictionary.

Don't buy direct from MobiPocket. They are a "wholesaler" to all the other MobiPocket resellers, and have an agreement not to undercut them. They are, therefore, always more expensive than other stores. Plus, if you live in the EU, they'll charge you the French VAT rate of 19.6% on top of the listed price of the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
dmg
dmg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Thanks all for the recommendations and advice! I looked at the thread wallcraft mentioned and decided to buy two
If this is a fairly common question does it warrant a wiki? If so, I would be happy to get one started.
Thanks again,
Dawn
dmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert