Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-26-2023, 10:13 AM   #1
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Clips paste in replace field

I don't know if anyone else is having this issue??

I've upgraded to 2.0.1 and now - occasionally - I will highlight a word(s) then click on a clip from the clips toolbar (different clips have the same issue) and the clip will paste into the replace field of the find/replace window. Once it gets in this mode I close and re-open Sigil and it works fine.

I haven't figured out exact replaceable steps

What I have been doing is a lot of find/replace before this happens. I have no idea if that is a factor.

Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 11:05 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK - I think I found some duplicatable steps.

1) enter something in the find field - doesn't matter what mode the Find/Replace window is using
2) place cursor in the replace field
3) open the Insert Special Characters window
4) hold the ctrl key and click on any symbol (the window should auto-close)
5) click on the "Replace All" button in the Find/Replace window
6) now click somewhere in the CV window or highlight a word
7) click on a clips button.... the clip should insert into the Replace field rather than the CV

Holding the Ctrl key while selecting the symbol seems to be the trigger.

Last edited by Turtle91; 08-26-2023 at 11:08 AM.
Advert
Old 08-26-2023, 06:06 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Clips you select from a ClipsWindow will indeed go to where the previous windows focus point as the place for the clip to be applied. It has to do that because clicking in the ClipEindow steals focus away from where ever it was.

Clicking in the CV window but not actually editing anything takes focus but for some reason the Find/Replace window was the last focus point recorded before clicking in the ClipWindow.

If you use a clip menu, or a clip toolbar button (instead of the ClipWindow), the current (not previous) focus point is used. The problem is when you click in CV the focus is being grabbed by Find and Replace for some reason.

The insertspecial character tool has to use the same approach as clicking in that Window steals focus as well.

I will look into it.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-26-2023 at 06:09 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 06:31 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Just curious, but what is gained by holding Ctrl while selecting something from the special character dialog?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 06:44 PM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Just curious, but what is gained by holding Ctrl while selecting something from the special character dialog?
It auto closes the special character dialog window... saves a click on an 'x'.
Advert
Old 08-26-2023, 06:46 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Clips you select from a ClipsWindow will indeed go to where the previous windows focus point as the place for the clip to be applied. It has to do that because clicking in the ClipEindow steals focus away from where ever it was.

Clicking in the CV window but not actually editing anything takes focus but for some reason the Find/Replace window was the last focus point recorded before clicking in the ClipWindow.

If you use a clip menu, or a clip toolbar button (instead of the ClipWindow), the current (not previous) focus point is used. The problem is when you click in CV the focus is being grabbed by Find and Replace for some reason.

The insertspecial character tool has to use the same approach as clicking in that Window steals focus as well.

I will look into it.
Thanks!

Just to clarify, I was clicking and/or highlighting in the CV window before selecting a clip toolbar button. Once the glitch was triggered it didn't matter how much I highlighted or moved around in the CV window, it would still paste to the replace field.

Let me know if you'd like me to try the clip window or clip menu.
Old 08-26-2023, 07:28 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could you try just closing the Find Replace window and see if that fixes things?
Old 08-26-2023, 07:38 PM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

OK

Closing the Find/Replace window didn't do anything. When I opened the F/R window again the clips that I had tried while it was closed still showed up in the replace field.

The error also occurred when I used the Insert/Clips menu, but it did NOT occur when I used the Clips Window.

Also, if I used the Clips window OR opened the Insert Special Character dialog again (and closed it using the 'x') then the glitch went away...it was back to normal.
Old 08-26-2023, 07:54 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Okay, that is the reverse of what I thought was happening. So somehow focus changed but for some reason the focus change was not recorded by Sigil's MainWindow

I just need to figure out why it is not being recorded properly.

I will look into fixing this for the next release.
Old 08-26-2023, 10:23 PM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Coolio - thanks!
Old 08-27-2023, 04:12 PM   #11
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I spoke too soon.

I used exactly the sequence of steps you prescribed 3 times and in each time the p clip was pasted properly in CodeView.

And the debug output showed it is working as designed.

But this is with macOS.

This may be a Window's only issue.

Perhaps Doitsu, or BeckyEbook or DiapDealer or someone with Windows can try following these steps to see if they can recreate what you are seeing.

If so we can add some debug output to the Application Focus event handler to see where the problem is coming from.
Old 08-27-2023, 04:30 PM   #12
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

OK. Would it help if I added debug output?
Old 08-27-2023, 04:30 PM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I booted up my Manjaro Linux VM and built the latest Sigil with Qt 6.5.2 and ran your test.

The clip was always properly pasted in the CV window.

So this must either be something specific to Windows or something specific to your set up as I can not recreate the issue with your sequence of steps on macOS or on Linux.
Old 08-27-2023, 04:32 PM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
OK. Would it help if I added debug output?
Do you build your own Sigil? If so I would be happy to send a patch that adds the debug output.

If not, I can push the additional debug information to master and create a CI build for you to test with.

Just let me know which you prefer.

Kevin
Old 08-27-2023, 04:36 PM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I have pushed the extra debug output to master and have asked it to build a Windows test build of Sigil. That is just faster and simpler.

Once it is complete. I will post it and send you a link.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-27-2023 at 05:06 PM.