Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 03:44 AM   #1
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
Do you use screen protectors?

So I have my kindle 3 pre-ordered and I was wondering. Does anyone here use screen protectors? or would the screens be hardy enough with a case that keeps it in while traveling in a handbag.

If you do use them, what are some brands you recommend? When I was using my kindle 2 screen protector it had all sorts of bubbles and shiny surface even though when I purchase it, it says its non reflective and I felt cheated.
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No need at all for a screen protector if you keep it in a case.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I agree with HarryT - if you keep your Kindle in a case for storage or carrying it in a handbag, no extra screen protection is necessary. Just carry a soft cloth (like what is sold for cleaning eye glasses) for cleaning dirt & fingerprints off the screen.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
polbit
Connoisseur
polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle HDX 8.9, Yoga 2 Pro
Ditto. The selling point of the readers is the display, why cover it Adding ANY layer will reduce contrast and add glare. Plus, it's not a touch screen, which is the reason most people add screen protectors to their phones, etc.
polbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
dkb
ebook enthusiast
dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, Sony PRS-350, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
I never keep mine in a case unless I'm traveling. Then I use a sleeve or cover to protect it while it's in my bag. Around the house, I don't use anything to protect it. I don't have a screen protector on it. I've had it for two years--no scratches or damage whatsoever.
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
Balerion
Connoisseur
Balerion began at the beginning.

Device: K2i K3w
I have the official cover for my K2i and I too have never had a problem. I've got the previous version of the cover which doesn't have an elastic tie or a latch, but I've gotten around the issue by having an extra safety measure for when its tucked away in a bag...

a pencil case !!!

I found a really great one at our retail office supplier here in Australia, and it is just the right shape and size... although I had to mod it... pencil cases are tighter on the zipper end than the bag will fully allow for... so I just removed the two zipper staples, and grabbed a needle and thread to make new zipper stoppers right on the edge of the case instead of them being inset as they were!!!

I'm stoked at the result coz I don't have to worry about other things floating around in my uni bag that might scratch it (like a pen or something, if it got in the gap of the cover), and the pencil case helps keep the dust (and spills etc) away from it when its just lying around or on my bedside table at night :-)
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I bought one for my first one but never put it on. but it is a REALLY bad idea to carry it in anything without a cover or a sleeve. my K1 has gone skiing, camping, shooting, all sorts of traveling and nevr had a problem. the K2 has only been traveling as yet
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
No screen protector for me, just a standard Kindle Cover with strap.

I agree with polbit, a screen protector would reduce the best feature of the Kindle, the E-ink non-glare display!
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
No protector for me. I only use screen protectors on touch screens -- and not even on all of those (the newer Gorilla glass screens are pretty tough on their own).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
No protectors for me at all. iPhone has gone a year with no scratches and for the most part it makes touch screens less sensitive.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
Reading all your comments puts me to ease somewhat. I initially got the screen protector for my kindle 2 because I thought that my keys may somehow scratch my screen inside cover then I just became agitated more so than anything from the shiny surface and bubbles!
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #12
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Naked for me as well, with the Amazon case.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

I never met a screen protector I liked. I tried a bunch of them way back when I had Palm and WM PDAs, but they always made the screens more difficult to read. I've never scratched any screen on any device. Of course i always have a case for my devices.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
mrExtreme
mrExtreme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
very useful experiences and I feels as I'm lucky enough to forgot to order screen protector for my K3. But l already order Amazon Cover with light.

Thank you all for sharing experiences.
mrExtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I have a case for my Sony prs-300 and that has been fine for me. No scratches. The screen also doesnt get dirty. I think because it's not a touchscreen it doesnt really suffer from fingerprint issues. I plan to use a case for my kindle 3 when it arrives. I quite like the offical case because it comes with the strap. My Sony case doesn't. Still trying to decide between the case with or without the light.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote