Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #76
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap.T View Post
That's exactly what I don't want to happen. Is this sync of the Kobo Books you have bought with that account automatic or can that be turned of? Thanks!
A sync is a deliberate choice, if you don't choose to do it, it doesn't happen. That means if you don't want to download new books, just don't do it.

But, if you are reading kepubs, the current position will automatically sync. The only way to stop this is to turn WiFi of.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #77
trevormorse
Enthusiast
trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
P.S. For those of you who talked about the "bright" spot with the light on, I'm not sure if I have it or not, how big are these pixels and how much brighter? When I first turned it on, I thought I saw a very tiny spot that seemed to be a bit brighter, but then lost it after looking at it for 3 seconds. At certain angles, I feel like I might be seeing it again, but unsure..
Yep, they are very tiny and easy to miss if you aren't looking for it.
trevormorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #78
Marbouk
Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
How is the screen? There seem to be a lot of complaints in the Kindle thread about the lighting. Does the Glo have better lighting than the Kindle or are Kindle owners just a very demanding bunch?
Had my kobo glo for 2 days now and it`s amazing for reading in the dark, really easy on the eyes.
The screen has a slight gray bar along the bottom in the shape of what looks like 5 leds. Similar to the kindles but not so bad.

This photo is on max brightness. The kobo glo by default has a black bar at the bottom which hides all the led shadows which must be why they did this.

Marbouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #79
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
A sync is a deliberate choice, if you don't choose to do it, it doesn't happen. That means if you don't want to download new books, just don't do it.
Actually, no. Your library will sync automatically if you connect to the desktop software or hit the sync button - one of which you *HAVE* to do during setup. Only way to prevent a library download is to log in to https://www.kobobooks.com/ and remove the books you don't want from your library (they will still be in the list of purchases).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #80
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I get an option to skip the sync when I connect to the desktop when doing a factory reset or activating a new reader. I don't use the desktop for anything else.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #81
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbouk View Post
This photo is on max brightness. The kobo glo by default has a black bar at the bottom which hides all the led shadows which must be why they did this.
Thank you for posting this photo and the feedback! I'm convinced the Kobo Glo is the better choice for me now. I hope it arrives in the mail before the weekend.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #82
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Actually, no. Your library will sync automatically if you connect to the desktop software or hit the sync button - one of which you *HAVE* to do during setup. Only way to prevent a library download is to log in to https://www.kobobooks.com/ and remove the books you don't want from your library (they will still be in the list of purchases).
You're right. I wasn't thinking of the the initial setup and sync.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #83
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I get an option to skip the sync when I connect to the desktop when doing a factory reset or activating a new reader. I don't use the desktop for anything else.
You're lucky, then. I couldn't avoid the sync when I first set up my Touch and whenever I factory reset it (of course, its factory default is like 1.9.10 or something - bought May '11 - and my last factory reset was 1.9.14. Maybe it changed in Touches factory loaded with later firmwares...)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #84
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The first time I saw the "skip" option, I thought I was opting to skip on a book-by-book basis, but no, it ended the entire sync process. There is a caveat, if you end the process, but have your WiFi turned on, after the reader reboots as the update happens, the books will download. For that reason, if you really don't want the books to download onto your device, do NOT have WiFi going at the time. After that, just don't sync if there are books in I'm Reading on the desktop or on the website.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #85
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The first time I saw the "skip" option, I thought I was opting to skip on a book-by-book basis, but no, it ended the entire sync process. There is a caveat, if you end the process, but have your WiFi turned on, after the reader reboots as the update happens, the books will download. For that reason, if you really don't want the books to download onto your device, do NOT have WiFi going at the time. After that, just don't sync if there are books in I'm Reading on the desktop or on the website.
Would you suggest having a separate Kobo account for device registration and firmware updates?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #86
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
How's the contrast on the display with no light on? Is the panel 'whiter' than the touch in and of itself?
I want to know it too
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #87
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Can anyone post a photo of their Glo screen in the dark showing the led lights at the bottom of the screen? Ignoring those Kindle users who seem to have defective screens, the only complaint seems to be about the shadow from the led lights (only with the light at certain levels in a dark room), so I'd be interested to see how it compares to the Glo?

Here's an example photo showing it on the Kindle PW.

As someone has already cleared up with Kobo the gray shadow along the bottom (when the black border is set to clear) seems to be just how the lighting technology is, I'm just interested to see it on the Glo too. And it's worth noting, those who have upgraded from a Nook Glowlight to the Kindle PW are saying the Kindle is far superior.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #88
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I'd be interested to see how it compares to the Glo?

Here's an example photo showing it on the Kindle PW.
There's the exact pic you're looking for 10 posts up from yours. It shows the same type of LED shadow halo that the Kindle Paperwhite has.

Last edited by Lunchtray; 10-03-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #89
Glasofruix
Enthusiast
Glasofruix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I would'nt call that defective, kindle users are a bunch of crybabies it seems...
Glasofruix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #90
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Thanks for posting the link. It seems the Glo firmware has stopped showing beginnings of chapters in a bar in the book menu Is it just a quirk in the two examples this review gives, or do you also not see any progress bar with chapter markers in the book menu?
I noticed that too and I really want to know the answer. This is worse than the time they moved the clock
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote