Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #31
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panin View Post
Just got a Kindle, and the indexing is driving me mad!

Where do I go to alter these flags that you mention?

Is it in the systems folder?

Is there something that I need to do to the machine before I try to do this?

I am ---this close to sending the kindle back, as I seem to have 20 books out of the 1.5k that I transfered that will just not index, and of course they are my absolute favorites!
first jailbreaking, then usbnetwork (search this words on this forum )
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:02 AM   #32
Nine989
Ebook Destroyer
Nine989 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 - Kindle 2 - Kindle Dx
This is what I currently have on the file:

# DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD:TRUE \ set to TRUE to disable indexing on device

It seems it is not working as the kindle continues to index. Can someone tell me what is missing?
Nine989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #33
Zatakawa
Enthusiast
Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine989 View Post

# DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD:TRUE \ set to TRUE to disable indexing on device
I guess you need to remove the "#" in front of the line.
Zatakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #34
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine989 View Post

It seems it is not working as the kindle continues to index. Can someone tell me what is missing?
I use
Code:
-DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD=false
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #35
statethatiamin
Avid Reader
statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panin View Post
Just got a Kindle, and the indexing is driving me mad!
Where do I go to alter these flags that you mention?
Is it in the systems folder?
I put the instructions for performing this procedure in the first post of the thread. Its not in the systems folder, it required you to jailbreak it in order to gain access to the hidden file system. Once you do that, navigate to the directory I outlined and edit the line that I outlined.

Like Tiersten said, and I've discovered, it *is* unusual for the Kindle to continually reindex files, it normally shouldn't interfere with your reading experience. The reason mine did is that I was using the unlighted Kindle case and it shorted out my Kindle continuously and restarted the indexing procedure.

Is this the case for you? Are you maybe using corrupted ebooks that hand the indexing mechanism.

I wouldn't suggest you send the Kindle back before you figure out what is going on. Its a wonderful device if its working properly
statethatiamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #36
mutzz
mutzz began at the beginning.

Device: B006 k3g 3.2.1 (576290015)
Hello, I'm trying to revert all changes I have made in the MoviNand Flash. I made these changes on my Kindle after installing Jailbreak and usbNetwork hack:
  • Disable Log Sending to Amazon
  • Disable Indexing

At first, I didn't realize that changes on the MoviNand could be irreversable, I used to think that a factory reset would bring back changes (). I was foolish enough not to make any backups. Anyhow, the changes I have made were not major ones.

So, I'm trying to revert all changes.. I am using the Diagnostic mode to make an md5hash check in order to verify if I have successfully reverted files to their original state.

This is the log file from the first diagnostic test:

Code:
MoviNand Diagnostic Test:
        FAIL : md5sum - /opt/config/not_shipped not found
        FAIL : md5sum failed on /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh
        FAIL : md5sum failed on /usr/bin/showlog
  FAIL : MoviNand Diagnostic Test
I was able to edit the "/usr/bin/showlog" file to it's orginal state so it passed the md5hash check on the next try:

Code:
MoviNand Diagnostic Test:
        FAIL : md5sum - /opt/config/not_shipped not found
        FAIL : md5sum failed on /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh
  FAIL : MoviNand Diagnostic Test
Now I'm trying to revert the file "start.sh" to its original state. I tried using the line Nine989 had shared:
Code:
and i pasted it over the corresponding line, but later on I realized that the version of his kindle was different. And my Kindle didn't pass the test after this change.

I am asking if anyone would be kind enough to share the corresponding line so i can replace it to pass the hashcheck. It would be better if a section form the code is pasted, because every line break and space counts

My Kindle version: B006 k3g 3.2.1 (576290015) WSO

Thanks

mutzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #37
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Easy way to disable Indexing via Jailbreak and Launchpad hacks only

If you have the Jailbreak AND Launchpad hacks installed, a very easy way to do this (without the need for the USB hack or installing any *.bin files) is to copy these three files to your launchpad folder:

disable_indexing.ini
Code:
[Actions]

; Search Indexing disabling/enabling
D I I = !source /mnt/us/launchpad/disable_indexing_install.sh
D I U = !source /mnt/us/launchpad/disable_indexing_uninstall.sh
disable_indexing_install.sh
Code:
# Search Indexing Disabling/Enabling Hack
mntroot rw
cp /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh.bkp
sed -i 's/-DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD=true/-DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD=false/' /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh
mntroot ro
exit
disable_indexing_uninstall.sh
Code:
# Search Indexing Disabling/Enabling Hack
mntroot rw
sed -i 's/-DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD=false/-DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD=true/' /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh
rm /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh.bkp
mntroot ro
exit
Then, just refresh Launchpad (Shift > Shift > Space) and input the keystroke listed in the ini file (Shift > D > I > I) to install and (Shift > D > I > U) to uninstall, restart, and voila.

Updated to include 'WS64''s suggestion below.
Further updated to include the '[' in '[Actions]' in the '.ini' in the '.zip' attachment as pointed out by 'reprep'.
Attached Files
File Type: zip disable_indexing_ini_and_scripts.zip (801 Bytes, 344 views)

Last edited by inameiname; 12-21-2011 at 05:55 PM.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #38
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Thanks inameiname, looks great, I learned something about UNIX again...

One suggestion though, your uninstall simply moves back the before saved file. Great if no other changes have been done in the meantime.
But a safer way would be to redo the replace statement and then delete the (completely unused, but still good to have) bkp file.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:29 PM   #39
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Thanks inameiname, looks great, I learned something about UNIX again...

One suggestion though, your uninstall simply moves back the before saved file. Great if no other changes have been done in the meantime.
But a safer way would be to redo the replace statement and then delete the (completely unused, but still good to have) bkp file.

True. I originally had the replace statement there in the uninstall script as well, but, from what I recall, I changed it because I wasn't sure at the time if the replace statement would mess anything up, and thought it was better to restore the original, as then I know the exact same one as before is back.

Maybe I'll fix it. I am curious, though. What sort of changes might occur on that start.sh script? Does it routinely change? And you say it would be safer to just let the changes happen?
Old 12-20-2011, 03:05 AM   #40
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Not sure what else can hapen at start.sh... What is "allow_demo" and which "extkeyboard" might exist?
I actually do not think about changes done by the OS (don't think there are any) but by other similar "hacks".
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:04 AM   #41
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Not sure what else can hapen at start.sh... What is "allow_demo" and which "extkeyboard" might exist?
I actually do not think about changes done by the OS (don't think there are any) but by other similar "hacks".
I see. Well no matter. I just checked the script and now it just reverses that 'sed' command. That does make more sense in the end, regardless of whatever changes to that file might ever come. Good enough.

In all, I am just thrilled I was able to find this thread in the first place. It is amazing how much my battery has improved just because of this tweak. Also, it is pretty sad how much battery is used just to index 1000 books! :P
Old 12-21-2011, 02:49 AM   #42
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Thanks for the hack inameiname. You forgot a square bracket in the launchpad .ini file which makes the launchpad unable to recognize it. A corrected and repacked archive is attached below.
Attached Files
File Type: zip disable_indexing_ini_and_scripts.zip (801 Bytes, 385 views)
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #43
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
Thanks for the hack inameiname. You forgot a square bracket in the launchpad .ini file which makes the launchpad unable to recognize it. A corrected and repacked archive is attached below.
Oh thanks, mate. I actually have one very large '.ini' file that I use and that works, so I just made this one up on the spot to include just this one thing. Thanks for pointing that out. I updated my link.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #44
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Hello.

I have on my kindle a whole lot of books, using around 1GB of kindle memory. I successfully disabled indexing. I noticed that the dictionary word search works nicely, and that the book title search as well (filter by first letter of the title or author).

I noticed, as well, that if I am doing a regular search (with no index files created) the system still waits a long time before returning the titles search result. I find quite it strange, since it only parses the lists of books titles and authors. Is there a solution to speed this up?

Thank you.

Last edited by hfpop; 01-11-2012 at 03:48 PM.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #45
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
Hello.

I have on my kindle a whole lot of books, using around 1GB of kindle memory. I successfully disabled indexing. I noticed that the dictionary word search works nicely, and that the book title search as well (filter by first letter of the title or author).

I noticed, as well, that if I am doing a regular search (with no index files created) the system still waits a long time before returning the titles search result. I find quite it strange, since it only parses the lists of books titles and authors. Is there a solution to speed this up?

Thank you.
Does it take a long time every time you try doing a regular search? I know that, for me, after disabling indexing, the first time took FOREVER, mainly to get all of the Titles and Authors and such, but after that first time, it was fairly quick.

Tags
battery life, disable, improvement, index, indexing