Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 04:12 AM   #1
javese
Zealot
javese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge(Black)
FBReaderEdge

It's a modification of FBReaderJ for PE/EE.It uses the eink to display book pages,while the ui(menu,etc) will still show on lcd.

How to use it?
1.root your PE with Z4root;
2.install FBReaderJ;
unzip fbreader.apk from the attachment,copy it ito your PE;
click fbreader.apk in you PE to install the application;
3.launch fbreaderJ,when the "app asking for root permission" dialog is displayed,select "yes".
4.open a book in fbreader,whenever a page is ready,it will be displayed both on lcd and eink.You may notice that the book pages are only partly showed on lcd.That's because the app is cheated to use the resolution of eink.
5.use page keys to turn page,use app switcher key(the one with two arrows) to turn on/off the backlight of lcd.

thanks vldmr for the EdgeFB class.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153653

it works fine on my rooted PE,with no stock eink app running(reader/journal/calendar),though the battery seems to run out rather quick.This is the cost of using framebuffer writing to display on eink,I guess.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FBReaderEdgeMod4.zip (1.51 MB, 385 views)

Last edited by javese; 10-25-2011 at 10:55 PM.
javese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist
vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: edge & edgejr
Wow, that was fast. Thanks!

But of course high power drain defeats one of the main advantages of eink reading.

Will you consider publishing your changes to fbreaderj as a branch on github so others could contribute in improving the program?
vldmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Vit-orekhov
Enthusiast
Vit-orekhov began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Guys, you are magicians! javese, my compliments!
If you could manage a problem with the turning pages, using hardware E-ink buttons it would be realy incredible!

Hey! It's possible by using sound keys!

Last edited by Vit-orekhov; 10-19-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Vit-orekhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
Vit-orekhov
Enthusiast

фOh, no... Now it is turned horizontal and I have no idea how to fix it back...

After switch off-switch on action it's again ok^)

Last edited by Vit-orekhov; 10-19-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Wow, good job!! I'd also be interested in seeing the code on github.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:13 AM   #6
javese
Zealot
javese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vldmr View Post
Wow, that was fast. Thanks!

But of course high power drain defeats one of the main advantages of eink reading.

Will you consider publishing your changes to fbreaderj as a branch on github so others could contribute in improving the program?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Wow, good job!! I'd also be interested in seeing the code on github.
Yes.I'd like to publish the change on github,but don't know how it can be done.Can anyone help me out?
I'm glad to see new developers joining the community and looking forward to seeing more develpment done.

Last edited by javese; 10-20-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:23 AM   #7
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
There's some pretty good tutorials on github itself for getting started. Once you've got that set up just fork the regular fbreader project, merge in your changes, and commit.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #8
javese
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
There's some pretty good tutorials on github itself for getting started. Once you've got that set up just fork the regular fbreader project, merge in your changes, and commit.
Thanks nikkie.I'll try to do it.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
Vit-orekhov
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by javese View Post

if you want ,you can use lcd2eink to turn off the lcd when reading.
Could anyone tell me, how could it be possible to turn off the lcd-screen while reading? I don't understand.... Should I use lcd2eink? If yes, then how, or should I use an other app, so tell me which one...
Old 10-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vit-orekhov View Post
Could anyone tell me, how could it be possible to turn off the lcd-screen while reading? I don't understand.... Should I use lcd2eink? If yes, then how, or should I use an other app, so tell me which one...
Not sure of the button to do it natively, but one way is to close the PE for a second. The Ereader side will still be active, the tablet side will turn off.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #11
javese
Zealot

Quote:
Hi Vit-orekhov,thanks for your interest on this app.I have made a new release(FBReaderEdge_mod2.zip),with which you can use page keys to turn page,and use app swithcer key(the one with 2 arrows) to turn off/on the backlight of lcd.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:58 AM   #12
gregounours
Enthusiast
gregounours began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
I like it. Anyway to make the library the default folder? BTW where is the PE library located. I have look arouses using ESexplorer but can't find it.

Quote:
Hi Vit-orekhov,thanks for your interest on this app.I have made a new release(FBReaderEdge_mod2.zip),with which you can use page keys to turn page,and use app swithcer key(the one with 2 arrows) to turn off/on the backlight of lcd.
gregounours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:05 AM   #13
javese
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregounours View Post
I like it. Anyway to make the library the default folder? BTW where is the PE library located. I have look arouses using ESexplorer but can't find it.
Thanks gregounours.If you have moved the library to sd card,I believe you are looking for the folder "/sdcard/.edge/.esi-content".
Old 10-21-2011, 03:48 AM   #14
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Hi there, Vit-orekhov!

The easiest way to turn off the LCD while reading is to put the power bar widget on your home screen. Then you can tap the lock icon to turn the LCD off. I also use it to turn my wi-fi on and off.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:25 AM   #15
javese
Zealot

Quote:
Thanks nikkie.I'll try to do it.
https://github.com/javese/FBReaderJ