Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
Managing ebook updates

I follow a few "episodic" ebooks, where new episodes are added at the end of the ebook periodically. I have not found a way to easily manage the update to my Calibre Library. The steps I take to do the update right now are :
- removing the ebook from my reader (using Calibre)
- replacing (manually ) the ebook file in its "library" folder
- using calibre to re-upload the book to the ereader.

I also have the same issue when an epub format is finally made available for an ebook I have bought as Kindle (my reader uses epub natively).

Is there an official Calibre way to "update an ebook" ?
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved to appropriate subforum.

Open the edit metadata dialog for the book you want to update. Delete the relevant format(s) and drag the new file(s) into the formats pane.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Open the edit metadata dialog for the book you want to update. Delete the relevant format(s) and drag the new file(s) into the formats pane.
On XP, you don't even have to delete the previous format.
Just drop the newer revision in place. It replaces the existing format
(tested many time yesterday )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I haven't done that yet, so I was being cautious. Good to know, though.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I haven't done that yet, so I was being cautious. Good to know, though.
Absolutely nothing wrong with Caution
Old 03-09-2011, 05:44 AM   #6
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
Thanks

Thanks, wil try that !
Any way to know if the ereader version is up to date ?
Any way to update the ereader version "easier" than removing/restoring ?
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:50 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you mean knowing if the version of a book in Calibre's library has been updatged since it was last sent to the reading device, then the answer is no.

I tend to use the Book Sync GUI plugin, and when I update a book in the library I then add it to the Sync queue to be sent to the reader when I next plug it in. That should cause the book to be resent to reader overwriting the copy already there.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSFReader View Post
Thanks, wil try that !
Any way to know if the ereader version is up to date ?
Any way to update the ereader version "easier" than removing/restoring ?
I have a custom Date field: 'Last_Edited'
Every time i make any change to the contents of the book or metadata, I bump the date to 'today' (there is a button for this on the custom fields tab OF the metadata.
Then I can sort, and re-send the stuff that floats to the top (date decending)
Old 03-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I have a field "updated" (boolean), which I set to "yes", if I update the book in my library. When I connect my device(s), I will select all updated books (by use of a filter) and know I can replace the one on my device for all selected books.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote