Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
geenp
Enthusiast
geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: none
Help with Calibre and margins

Hi all,

I've recently received my new KT and while messing around, I've discovered that I can't adjust margins on books sideloaded using Calibre. I get full formatting support in books bought from Kobo and from other stores using ADE but have limited formatting options in Calibre.

I get to pick font, font size, line spacing and the justification but not the margin size. I've deselected the "remove false margins" option in Calibre when converting to EPUB but it doesn't make any difference. Is it because converting it doesn't actually allow you to convert from EPUB to EPUB even if there are changes made?

Could anyone point out what I've done wrong? Thanks!
geenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I'm a little confused, do you mean the Calibre ePub viewer or are you loading the books onto your Kobo through Calibre?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
geenp
Enthusiast
geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

I'm loading the books onto the Kobo via Calibre. The margins are unnaturally small in the Calibre viewer as well but I'm not concerned about how they look there.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
ePub to ePub usually works, does it show up in Jobs?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
ePub to ePub usually works, does it show up in Jobs?
ePub > ePub can make a heck of a mess sometimes. You really don't want to do that. Use Sigil and edit the CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 02:59 AM   #6
geenp
Enthusiast

I've had a look at Sigil and correct me if I'm wrong but what it seems to do is change the current margin settings permanently. That's not what I want to do. I want the Kobo Touch itself to be able to adjust the margins so that I won't have to do it for each book. Right now, any sideloaded book has the margin locked to the minimum size. All other formatting options work perfectly. Yes it shows up in jobs, but I'm not exactly sure which version of the epub (before or after edit) it is putting on the Kobo.

Before I go ahead and assume that my edits are correct but aren't taking effect, can anyone confirm that "remove false margins" is the correct setting to change if I wanted to "unlock" the margin adjustment settings.

All my books are from Kobo or some other ADE source so far so it's no big deal but I was just wondering how to do it if I needed to in future.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
In Calibre, when Converting, on the Look and Feel page, there is a tab called Filter Style Information. Select it, and select the Margins checkbox. This will turn off the margins in the epub, and let the KT handle the margins.

In Signet, edit the css to remove the margins.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
Eccles
Eccles began at the beginning.

Deleted by user.

Last edited by Eccles; 02-23-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
geenp
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
In Calibre, when Converting, on the Look and Feel page, there is a tab called Filter Style Information. Select it, and select the Margins checkbox. This will turn off the margins in the epub, and let the KT handle the margins.

In Signet, edit the css to remove the margins.

Yes, that worked. Thanks very much!