Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-25-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
ladyodenacht
ladyodenacht began at the beginning.

Device: none
newbie with basic questions

I am an on-line publisher and downloaded calibre to help me convert to mobi pocket. I read the tutorial that came with the program but it talks about conversions to specific devices which you plug into the computer. I am hoping I don't have to make use of a device since I am converting multiple books in multiple formats to upload to different sites and don't own a Kindle. Am I going to be able to do that with the calibre or do I need to look for another program? (can you tell I'm new?)
ladyodenacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyodenacht View Post
I am hoping I don't have to make use of a device since I am converting multiple books in multiple formats to upload to different sites and don't own a Kindle. Am I going to be able to do that with the calibre or do I need to look for another program? (can you tell I'm new?)
No need for a device. Calibre can convert and show the results of the conversion by viewing using Calibre's viewer.

Of course you might want to install other reading software on your computer to test files you create. Kindle4PC or Mobipocket to view mobi or prc files. Adobe Digital Editions, Kobi reader, B&N reader or Epubreader extension for Firefox to view ePubs.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, ladyodenacht!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Welcome to MobileRead!

As dwanthny said, calibre does all its conversions entirely standalone. You don't need to keep a stable of ebook devices around! Just batch-convert your books to whatever format(s) you need. I'd go a step beyond his suggestion of testing them with the various desktop viewers, though, and say you should find someone with each of your target devices who could test out the books for you. Check around here -- I'm sure you could find someone with a Kindle, for example, who would be more than happy to read a book and tell you if the formatting is broken. Given the level of quality found in entirely too many commercial ebooks, developing a reputation as a perfectionist would be a good thing.

Feel free to ask questions. We were all new once.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:45 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Lady. Best of luck with the conversions. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
ladyodenacht
ladyodenacht began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks so much

Y'all seem to be a great group!!! Thanks for all of your help. Now, for another question. I have some books that have black and white graphics. I would really like to be able to keep those in the books but am not sure how I will be able to do that since html doesn't support them. Do you have any suggestions on how I can do that? I want them for Amazon, Sony and Borders.

Linda Voth
PawPrints POD
ladyodenacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
*looks around at a Web page made of HTML that's full of graphics*

Um ....

I build Web pages, not ebooks, so I can't help much with the book-specific part of things, but if you have any HTML/CSS questions, feel free to toss them in my general direction.

Also, it might help a bit if you'd mention the file formats you're targeting, not stores -- for instance, Sony sells/sold several different formats. I think they're all epub now, but "Sony" means "anything the Sony store sells" (or maybe "anything that can be read on my 505", which is quite a lot) and doesn't help us much when we're trying to work out your formatting issues.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote