Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
tobor
tobor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Looking for Linux PDF editing tools for DX format

Hello you all,

I find the DX's PDF viewer deficient. It really needs zoom and pan ability. I hope Amazon gets their collective head out of their collective butt and fixes this problem.

Until then I was thinking that reformatting PDF files for viewing on the DX would help a lot. With that in mind I am asking for suggestions for Linux PDF editing tools.

The kind of PDF editing I'm talking about is dealing with books that have been scanned in as images. If I could removed the boarder areas that would help a lot. Also, perhaps cutting individual pages up into peaces that would fit integrally sideways on the DX would help, especially if I can keep figures from getting cut in half. Furthermore, some of my PDFs need to be de-skewed. To do any or all of this automatically through the entire book would be great.

What are the best tools for Linux to do this kind of work? Is anybody else trying to do similar things?

Thanks.

Last edited by tobor; 06-19-2009 at 05:08 PM.
tobor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
brteag00
brteag00 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Well, since you're only interested in scanned images, most any image-editing tool should work. The ImageMagick toolkit has a bunch of command-line tools which are easily scriptable, ie with PERL or Bash. The "convert" tool is a swiss-army knife for cropping, etc. I'm not sure about skew correction, though.

Also, a quick Google turned up this: http://www.gnurou.org/blog/2007/01/0...e_ebooks_linux
brteag00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
you're it