Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Touch odd charging problems

I picked up a kindle touch the other day and I'm having strange charging issues with it. The first time I plugged it into my computer and let it charge overnight. When I got up it was still amber and had not charged at all. I assumed that might be because my computer possibly went into hibernate mode, although I don't really think so as hibernate doesn't come on for hours. I thought it could also be the USB.

I then plugged it into the wall charger and it charged fine. I did unplug it before it was fully charged though, it still had a bit left to go. The light was green, however.

Then last night before bed I plugged it in to the wall to charge it. It wasn't very low, but I wanted to test it's behavior again at this point. I woke up this morning and the light was still amber and it hadn't charged past where it was.

I then looked around online and found posts from others having similar charging issues with their touch. It seems to be pretty finicky. It's almost like sometimes it doesn't engage and then if I unplug it and plug it back in then it starts charging properly.

Then another odd issue - today while charging (testing it again) the light turned green and stayed green for awhile and then suddenly it turned amber. I then unplugged it and plugged it back in and it turned green after a few seconds.

Has anyone else experiencing odd charging behavior with their touch? Has anyone else had their charging light go from green back to amber while charging?

I'm not sure what to make of it and/or if it's defective.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
nonobjective
nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.

Device: Sony 500, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I picked up a kindle touch the other day and I'm having strange charging issues with it. The first time I plugged it into my computer and let it charge overnight. When I got up it was still amber and had not charged at all. I assumed that might be because my computer possibly went into hibernate mode, although I don't really think so as hibernate doesn't come on for hours. I thought it could also be the USB.

I then plugged it into the wall charger and it charged fine. I did unplug it before it was fully charged though, it still had a bit left to go. The light was green, however.

Then last night before bed I plugged it in to the wall to charge it. It wasn't very low, but I wanted to test it's behavior again at this point. I woke up this morning and the light was still amber and it hadn't charged past where it was.

I then looked around online and found posts from others having similar charging issues with their touch. It seems to be pretty finicky. It's almost like sometimes it doesn't engage and then if I unplug it and plug it back in then it starts charging properly.

Then another odd issue - today while charging (testing it again) the light turned green and stayed green for awhile and then suddenly it turned amber. I then unplugged it and plugged it back in and it turned green after a few seconds.

Has anyone else experiencing odd charging behavior with their touch? Has anyone else had their charging light go from green back to amber while charging?

I'm not sure what to make of it and/or if it's defective.
Same here - I thought it was a powered USB issue at first. Are you on 5.0.3 yet?
nonobjective is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm on 5.0.3 yes...
Old 01-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I haven't charged mine yet on 5.0.3.

On 5.0.0 my Kindle Touch battery would charge but the amber light never turns green. I charge via my cell phone wall charger.

I don't worry too much about it since the Kindle does charge and keep that charge as advertised. It sounds like your occasionally doesn't charge.....in that case, I would get it replaced.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I think your Kindle is fine. Sometimes the light doesn't change on mine either, and it is still fully charged. Probably a software glitch.

As for the USB, I know that when I attached my Sony to my iMac for charging, if the iMac went to sleep, the Sony would begin discharging. By morning it would be completely dead. Likely the same thing happened to your Kindle.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Nothing is wrong with your kindle. If wi-fi is on and you keep it on the charger once charged it will stop charging and then start using battery power checking wi-fi. Once power goes down a certain amount it will begin charging again, therefore showing the amber light. Nothing to worry about.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Try a reset (from Home screen, hold power button 20 seconds & release). That fixed a similar problem I had once.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Charge indicators tend to be flaky in general, not really kindle related. This might for instance happen with repeated charging over a short period of time.

You can use the device until it's battery almost runs out juice ... then do a full charge.

Rebooting as suggested above by tomsem might also make the indicator show more accurate results.

Ignoring the issue as janrey suggested is also good advice, the battery in the kindle is so powerfull that if it stops charging at 90% instead of 98% due to meassurement issues, it's of no real consequence. Most likely everything is OK anyway ... just ignore the light until it complains about not having any battery left :-)

Last edited by tovare; 01-25-2012 at 09:36 AM.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone.