Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Basic Kindle as a kick around device

I'm thinking about getting the $69 Kindle as a device to carry for reading on the road, on the subway, sitting in waiting rooms and standing in lines. I'm curious what thoughts and advice others might have. I love my old Kindle greatly and use it all the time but would rather not bring it with me into situations where it might get broken, lost, or stolen.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:48 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
I'm thinking about getting the $69 Kindle as a device to carry for reading on the road, on the subway, sitting in waiting rooms and standing in lines. I'm curious what thoughts and advice others might have. I love my old Kindle greatly and use it all the time but would rather not bring it with me into situations where it might get broken, lost, or stolen.
These are currently selling new at Staples or Best Buy for $49. I've done a lot of reading on one. I recently found a couple of them in good working condition at a pawn shop for $5 each (they have trouble selling non-color "tablets" without power supplies).

What's your "old" Kindle?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:58 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
These are currently selling new at Staples or Best Buy for $49. I've done a lot of reading on one. I recently found a couple of them in good working condition at a pawn shop for $5 each (they have trouble selling non-color "tablets" without power supplies).

What's your "old" Kindle?
According to his profile info, the Kindle DX.

My personal thoughts on the matter would be not to bother -- I have been carrying around my Kindle Touch everywhere, for a long time now, and it's still good. I don't expect anything to happen, either. But I appreciate that other people may feel less confident for their particular usage scenarios.

A better idea would be to upgrade to the PW, just to have a new ereader. The touchscreen experience is a vast improvement over the Keyboard/DX/Basic Kindles, and you DO want one!

YOU WANT IT, YOU WANT IT!!

*target is subliminally encouraged to buy new Kindle*
*target is subliminally encouraged to buy new Kindle*

Think about it, you can then use your old kindle as a kick around device, guilt-free!
*YOU WANT IT!*

Sorry about that.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-27-2014 at 01:00 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I going to get a Basic for Dr appts & such. Since the K3 been disc I got lucky to get one in Nov from amazon! Thanks for the tip I check BB or Staples!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:56 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
According to his profile info, the Kindle DX.
Okay. Then I understand why Teyrnon would want something lighter to carry around. I think either the Kindle "NT" or Paperwhite would be fine -- but the Paperwhite costs about twice as much as the "NT"-- and it appears Teyrnon is quite happy with the DX for reading at home and that he/she is looking for a secondary Kindle, not a primary one.

As for the Paperwhite ... I'm still considering whether I want one or not. They are nice, but so are all the other Kindles, in my opinion. I've got a used Touch now -- which is turning into my primary reading machine (unless I'm reading in the dark where I use the Kindle "NT" with my M-Edge case and E-Luminator). I really don't have any problem going back and forth from buttons to touch. Of course, I'm used to it, because I went back and forth between my Kindle "NT" and Nook Simple Touch for quite a while -- still do use the Nook sometimes.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
On sale at Staples until 29th. Sold out in my area...sigh
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:46 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
On sale at Staples until 29th. Sold out in my area...sigh
I'm sorry ... but aren't they offering free shipping? That's one advantage in an area like DFW -- lots of Staples around. And -- currently -- I've got a very slow Staples nearest to me, so they almost always have sale's stuff in stock. (This is probably one of the stores slated to be shut down, however.)

Have you checked Best Buy? They're also offering free shipping.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:02 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I honestly wouldn't recommend "kicking around" a basic Kindle. Like all eInk Kindles it has a screen with a glass substrate, which will fracture if subject to shocks. Kick it, and it will almost certainly break.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I honestly wouldn't recommend "kicking around" a basic Kindle. Like all eInk Kindles it has a screen with a glass substrate, which will fracture if subject to shocks. Kick it, and it will almost certainly break.
How about gently nudging it?

My Touch had something dropped on it (by someone else before I bought it). So, I've got a smallish grey spot in the middle of my screen. But I don't really notice that, what I notice is the little scratch on the bezel and sometimes I can't ignore it when I reading. I really like the black Kindles better than the grey, the bezel seems more "invisible" to me.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #10
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I don't know where you are located but..I was at Bestbuy this week and they were selling two certified pre-owned Paperwhite 2 readers for $79 each with a one year bestbuy warranty. Any issues within a year and they will give me a new unit. I have been curious to know how the kindle compares to my Kobo Glo so I purchased one.

You may be able to get a pw2 at a good price if you shop around.

Just food for thought,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #11
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I have been thinking about getting one of these just so that I can have a secondary kindle device that controls my collections. Recently I deregistered my paperwhite and ended up losing most of my big collections because Amazon has it set up for an actual kindle device to control where collections are synced from. Since the paperwhite is my only official kindle device that supports the new cloud collections, I've been debating if I want to get one. Of course even for $49 it is kind of expensive to buy just for the purpose of maintaining my collections.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #12
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
I would consider getting a paperwhite. The value of those minutes add up to a number much much larger than $69 during a year, so I'd just get the best. If it breaks, get a new one

The basic kindle is very good, but the built in light on the PW converts even more boring and wasted time into fun.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #13
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I think it's a great idea. I bought a kindle for $50 and it has been my take-with-me device for a year now. If it breaks or is stolen, it is not a loss that will give me a lot of angst. It was also my lender model - family members would occasionally borrow it to read a book and then give it back. Again, if they drop it, I'm not going to get angst over it.

My bro is giving me his Kindle Keyboard since he hasn't read since he had a stroke. So, free. My prior lender model is being given to a family member since I currently need the text-to-speech function due to vision issues.

I know a lot of people push the PPW, but if lighting is not an issue, the low cost kindle is your best bet. I went for YEARS reading paperbacks everywhere - the light wasn't necessary. But, if the places you read at do have poor lighting, then it makes sense to use something with a light.

Last edited by Tarana; 04-01-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #14
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Kick it, and it will almost certainly break.
Kick it? I don't know. I'd say it's 50-50.

Sit on it? Yea, that will do it
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #15
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I bought a basic Kindle a year ago on sale, and I take it with me everywhere. I don't worry about leaving it in the car, reading in sub-zero temperatures while waiting for the bus, leaving it on the beach when I go for a swim, etc. With a cover, it really is pretty knock-around (maybe not kick around).

I would like a Paperwhite, though. But I have a stack of Kindle 3s that I've been given and repaired over the years, so I can't buy anything for awhile (well, I currently have only 4 of them, as I just gave away a couple to students).
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote