Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #1
arcanekn
arcanekn began at the beginning.

Device: A good one (????)
Best e-reader for a geeks tech library

Hi all
have been thinking about getting some kind of e-reader for a long time now and as my reading habits tend toward the Nerd/Geek/Dork/Dweeb end of the spectrum (read: tech manuals) that are non-DRM'ed pdfs and epub files i was just wondering "What is the best e-reader for a geeks tech library?".

am living in the land of Vegemite and drop bears if that helps.
arcanekn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Depends on how detailed the pdfs get. If they have multi-columns, graphs, tables, etc..., that would fall in the realm of a larger screen device. It also depends if those pdfs are image based, or text based. Open one in Acrobat Reader and try selecting text. If you can't, it's likely image based and you would only be able to zoom those on readers with that feature, like Sony. If it's text based, reflow can help by increasing the font size, but it often destroys formatting and pictures.

Large screen devices:
iRex 1000
iRex 800
Amazon Kindle
Sony PRS-900 (large~ish screen)

Here's a thread that may give a bit of help regarding tech manuals on a 6" screen device.

Before picking up my PRS-600, I took some manuals for my HP 50g calculator with me on an SD card and gave it a try. Nothing too complicated in the manuals, but it worked out for me quite well.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 01:29 AM   #3
arcanekn

thanks for the info.
no a vast majority of the pdfs are text based.
might have to take some in and play with a few readers
Old 02-08-2010, 01:46 AM   #4
Ebiumn
Connoisseur
Ebiumn doesn't litterEbiumn doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kindle Voyage
take a look at the pocketbook 360
Ebiumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanekn View Post
thanks for the info.
no a vast majority of the pdfs are text based.
might have to take some in and play with a few readers
Oh boy, with mostly text based that opens you up to just about any of the readers. You can use soPDF (in the PDF forum) to crop margins and gain, essentially, a permanent zoom.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 03:13 AM   #6
arcanekn

ok well i narowed the list down to the iriver story or the kindle. but i think i may get the iriver as it seems to render the text better (IMHO).
Old 02-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
I have the Story, and about half of the eBooks are tech books. (You are aware of O'Reilly's "EBook deal of the day" $9.99 eBooks? Look at oreilly.com)

I am very satisfied so far, the firmware updates released since I have the device (1.61) have very much improved the usefulness, enabling zooming on pdfs and reflow. The keyboard is nice for searching, but I use this rather seldom so far.

What should be improved is enabling pdf zoom in landscape mode and enabling access to bookmarks from within the book (you have to got to the home screen for that).

I have tried the Story in a bookstore (after ordering online ) while bringing a SD card with a variety of books. The firmware in the store was old, so I would recommend to bring the current firmware with you on the card for an update .
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
arcanekn

@ischeriad: Thanks for the info on O'Reilly's may just visit and see for myself.

well im getting a story it does everything i want.