Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
user
Connoisseur
user began at the beginning.

Device: Benq P51
best device?

hello!

please tell me the best device (even if it not yet available and it has been announced) to
1) read color textbooks on the go
2) browse the internet

thanks!
user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by user View Post
hello!

please tell me the best device (even if it not yet available and it has been announced) to
2) browse the internet

thanks!
Sounds like a tablet with as good a screen as possble. I'd say iPad 3.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
hello!

2) browse the internet

thanks!
Honestly? A laptop. Other than that, a 10" tablet.

I use e-textbooks and they look and flow better on a larger screen, the bigger the better. IMHO.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iPad. No doubt about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
user
Connoisseur

sure the bigger the better

the problem is I cant find a 14" tablet, which would be best for A4 pdf textbooks

any idea?
Advert
Old 07-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I think that Toshiba has a large (13 inch) tablet:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...ream-sandwich/

I don't know much about it, but it might be something that you want to look into.
Personally, I use my iPad for reading PDFs and textbooks, and I love the size - it is portable but not so small that I have any trouble reading.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
sure the bigger the better

the problem is I cant find a 14" tablet, which would be best for A4 pdf textbooks

any idea?
Check out the 13 " Toshiba mentioned above. If I were going with a 10" tablet, I'd go with an Acer eee slider. I like the option of the keyboard, but that's just me.

If you have deep pockets, check out the Samsung Series 7 Slate. A full windows pc in tablet format.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
user
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
I'd go with an Acer eee slider
maybe you mean Asus?
Old 07-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I think that Toshiba has a large (13 inch) tablet:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...ream-sandwich/

I don't know much about it, but it might be something that you want to look into.
Personally, I use my iPad for reading PDFs and textbooks, and I love the size - it is portable but not so small that I have any trouble reading.
The Verge has a review of the 13" tablet.

Like others have said, either a laptop or an iPad sounds like the best device for your uses OP.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
Rich_D
Fanatic

Quote:
maybe you mean Asus?
I did!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #11
user
Connoisseur

I have very bad experiences with ipad (well, to be honest, with ipad 1, that I had)
it couldnt connect as external disk drive via usb to a pc in order to exchange files!

I am more positive about the 13" tablet, even with its 1900x1200 resolution, it would display A4 pdf in nearly natural view, right?

however it doesnt seem to be available yet, or I am wrong?
Old 07-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #12
kateeus
kateeus began at the beginning.

Device: none
You want the best? Here you go my friend:

http://www.techspot.com/news/48865-a...-graphics.html

I'm going to get one too Unless the batteryl ife is really bad < 4hrs.
kateeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would go for the iPad 3.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #14
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
If you absolutely need a larger tablet, you could wait until later this year when they begin to put out the Windows 8 convertibles. There are some in the running that are larger than 10" (like the Lenovo Yoga).
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #15
user
Connoisseur

I dont understand why you think ipad is the best

it's screen characteristics are convenient to display an A4 pdf?

it is because of better image clarity, or color representation, or wide viewing angles in ipad?

because, imo, the best thing for that kind of use, it's not to have to scroll to see the full page and not to have to magnify in order to see the text

so, you suggest ipad, for its advantage on that?