Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
d47
d47 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Why I'm returning my Kindle DX

Hopefully someone finds my comments helpful:

- Refresh time is too slow for me. This is especially true for some larger PDFs. (Can read them and load them fine though after some PDF cropping and stuff with free software online.) If i have a bunch of articles I'm going through, paging through them and switching between articles and files takes too long.

- I bought the kindle to review a lot of my documents and books, but with that I need to take more and more notes as I read. Notetaking is just too slow on the kindle pad and annoying to export. I do a lot of practical reading which is pointless for myself unless I can highlight, take notes, and export things efficiently. If only I could use my wireless keyboard with the kindle or something. If you copy your mbp and mobi files to your kindle for PC documents folder, you can view your notes with your book (even if it's not an amazon book), but the PC software doesn't let you copy or paste the notes or highlights.

A better solution (for myself at least):

A wireless monitor or tablet pc as an extention of my desktop. Ipad lets you do something like this with Macs I think, but you can't lock the touchscreen so if I read with my hands it just moves the page around. I read yesterday that E-ink is necessarily better for your eyes than LCDs, so besides long battery life (which I don't need) and looking nice, I find E-ink isn't worth it just yet.

Buying Tip:

If you just like reading books, not seriously note taking, the Kindle DX would be great for you if you don't mind the cost. Maybe amazon could make a cheaper wifi version.

I read somewhere that the DX is suited more for the business crowed, but I don't find that to be true. It just feels like beta software.

P.S. I used the 30 day refund to try it out instead of agnozing over what device to get.

Last edited by d47; 11-01-2010 at 04:48 PM.
d47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
d47

p.p.s I may get the smaller version of wait till around xmas to see what else comes out
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
i just use my Kindle DX G every day (college student here)

Morning - NYT and WSJ from calibre, plus some textbooks/pdfs from professor
MidDay - Light Gmail browsing
Night - reading classics

yeah, i know the kindle isn't meant for note taking... and that's what i'm not doing on the kindle. my notes are separate from my texts
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Smart testing it out within the 30 day window. Sorry it didn't work out for you, but the tablet technology is advancing so quickly, it's only a matter of time before someone manufactures one that meets your needs.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
psycholoner
Enthusiast
psycholoner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
yea, I've had my DX for quite a while now, and I can agree with that. I love this thing, but I've tried using it practically for school, and its just too slow and inconvenient.
psycholoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 01:13 AM   #6
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I checked the refresh rate on youtube. Can't understand the complaints. Okay the note taking is better with Irex devices but there is no such device.

Small advice, you can press the next page button one second earlier so you get to the next page in time. Needs a little bit of exercise but works fine.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:54 AM   #7
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

I've made several posts about this, along with the proper way to fix the refresh problem with PDFs. It involves "printing to PDF" at a specific paper size, which causes the DX to not have to rescale each page, so it displays them natively. It can then display even complex pages/graphics quickly and without loss of quality. Document size stays the same, as do image DPIs, it's just something wonky with PDFs and their containers.

It takes me mabye 3 seconds to fix any pdf, acrobat, print to adobe pdf, select paper size (kindle dx) which i made custom, problem solved.

Can't take notes. It's a reader, no stylus anyways. E-ink is shitty for taking notes @ best case scenario. If you need something complicated, get the Entourage edge, Ipad, or tablet PC, as nothing else is currently available.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:23 AM   #8
zzzxtreme
zzzxtreme began at the beginning.

Device: nook
yeah even with my netbook 1.6ghz atom, loading a picture based 70MB PDF is slowwww
zzzxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:32 AM   #9
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

If you are using imaged based PDFs that are text, you should OCR them into clearscan if they are quality scans, and then print to kindle native size~
Old 11-02-2010, 05:40 AM   #10
d47

A tablet PC seems like a better choice if it's true that the screen won't hurt my eyes. My old laptop was horrible on my eyes, not sure why.

For about 500, bit more than the DX, I can get a tablet netbook. Color, webcam, full w7 features and software, video... Makes more sense for productive work. Will try a 30 day run with that too. Looking at GIGABYTE and ASUS models right now.

ASUS Eee PC T101MT and GIGABYTE TouchNote

- The PDFs were resized with calibre for the dx screen.

- I saw some video of color e-ink fast enough to play video. That on a tablet or a Mirasol display maybe will make a great device
Old 11-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #11
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
This is basically why I don't think kindles (or even e-readers) will really ever replace textbooks. Not in terms of ease of use for actual studying, anyway...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #12
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
This is basically why I don't think kindles (or even e-readers) will really ever replace textbooks. Not in terms of ease of use for actual studying, anyway...
* until eink gets faster, or gets color
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #13
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
I just ordered my DXG yesterday. I'm optimistic. My academic needs are relatively light (I just need to browse the literature in my field) and I'm old enough to remember when one checked journals out of the library (and therefore could not write in them, a poor student couldn't afford photocopies!), or had to wait for copies from the document delivery service--talk about slow.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #14
curstpriest
Confused

I got my degree in exp psych and had to check out lots of journals from our library... Sadly nobody uses the stacks any more, or even knows they are there. But they just don't have that many journals online, and many of the PDFs that are pre 80's are horrible quality. What if you need a 50-70's research article? Basic research is very important. I was lucky that we also had everything available on microfilm too. Sadly many students don't know about this either. If it isn't on EBSCO or PROQUEST they just give up and look for something easier.

Although digital documents/pdfs are nice, it's still good to know how to get what you need. Though they really do need to get the ball rolling on conversion of old documents, and copyright holders need to stop being so goddamn greedy charging 20$ for the viewing of single articles.

I usually just use inter-library loan, but that can take up to a week or more for some articles/books as some librarian has to hand scan and email them to me.

I'm only 26 =X
Old 11-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I wish I had had my DXG when I was in graduate school. The number of journal articles I had to print out from JSTOR is far too high. All that paper wasted, not to mention the expensive back pack need to lug around 50 pounds of reading material.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote