Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which free selection from The Patricia Clark Memorial Library shall we read?
Solomon Kane by Robert E. Howard 8 23.53%
Dr. Izard by Anna Katharine Green 15 44.12%
The Nine Tailors by Dorothy Sayers 9 26.47%
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift 6 17.65%
Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Montgomery 7 20.59%
The Case of the Golden Coprolite by Ralph Sir Edward 3 8.82%
Le Morte Darthur by Thomas Malory 14 41.18%
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle 9 26.47%
The Shepherd of the Hills by Harold Bell Wright 5 14.71%
The Martyrs of Science by David Brewster 4 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
It never looked like the sort of book that I would enjoy or get anything out of so I never even bothered to obtain it. So the unspoken consensus is that I missed nothing?
As an example of what people used to enjoy reading in foregone days, it is instructive. In that aspect I feel myself educated.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #17
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I enjoyed it much more than I expected to but I won't be reading others like it unless they come up in the Book Club again.

My notes for this centered around the fact that Polly was willing to provide so much of her money to her father despite that he walked out on her when she needed him the most. The duty she felt she had was incredible. I don't know for sure that this sort of family duty was held by most people when this was written, but I do know that anyone who was in this situation now and provided money like that would be considered an idiot. Especially given his attitude towards her and how he was using the money (especially his parties).
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #18
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
It never looked like the sort of book that I would enjoy or get anything out of so I never even bothered to obtain it. So the unspoken consensus is that I missed nothing?
I think desertblues is being extremely kind!

The best thing I can find to say about it is that it was short, so I didn't have to put up with it for very long.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:39 AM   #19
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I think desertblues is being extremely kind! (...)
You're saying this to a person who will even read the back of rice-packets, cleaning fluids or boring instruction books if there is nothing else to read.............
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #20
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I can relate to that!

Fortunately I have a large pile of books waiting to be read, so I haven't been keeping up with developments in rice packets and cleaning fluid recently.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote