Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #10711
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Nice try, but not right, nor the right approach. You didn't know that you had the right answer, and if you get the right answer for the right reason, you'll know that you've got it right.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #10712
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Soup of the day, because one can't possibly know what it actually is until it comes.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #10713
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'm ashamed to say I had to give in and look up the answer. Very clever, but I wouldn't have worked it out .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #10714
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll give the answer tomorrow morning, unless someone spots it first.

Lewis Carroll would have liked this one.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #10715
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I can't believe I actually guessed/intuited the correct answer right after I saw HIMS answer, then had to look it up to be sure. Very clever riddle!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:35 AM   #10716
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Stitchawl, if you guessed the right answer, but had to double-check, please give the answer and reason that you guessed. I won't hold it against you that you had to check the answer. Not all of us memorised silly things at a young age .
Old 01-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #10717
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll put it into a spoiler so someone with real skills can still figure it out. When it comes to this particular 'skill set' I just estimate and guess. I seem to be pretty close to the money with most of my 'guesses.' I can usually look at a full shopping cart and take almost the exact number of bills from my wallet without actually 'figuring it out.'

Spoiler:
It was HIMS's mention of Shepard's 'Pie' that did it. And I guess somewhere in the back of my brain knowing your love of numbers subconsciously joined in, I went back and counted the number of letters in the words. I could never 'use' it to solve problems and get the correct answers, but I could always remembered the various formula that it was supposed to give answer to. I have no problem 'remembering' it to the five decimal places that the teachers drilled into us. I just can't 'use' Pi!

Stitchawl
Old 01-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #10718
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
(Hint: Our European readers might find this just the tiniest bit easier.)
Can you explain why you think so?
Spoiler:
I think there are very few European languages that pronounce "pi" like "pie". I'm not sure what a German waiter would have brought him.

And to Stitchy:
Spoiler:
You're telling us again and again that you can't put one and two together and now you know the first 21 digits of pi by heart?????
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #10719
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Stitchawl has it!

Count the number of letters in each word of the poem.

It was slightly easier for Europeans, as then the punctuation in the poem matched how numbers are written out, using a comma for the decimal marker.

And yes, I did just write out Pi from memory to 20 digits....

.... even though Pi is wrong, and Tau is the proper circle constant.

Over to Stitchawl for the next one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I'll put it into a spoiler so someone with real skills can still figure it out. When it comes to this particular 'skill set' I just estimate and guess. I seem to be pretty close to the money with most of my 'guesses.' I can usually look at a full shopping cart and take almost the exact number of bills from my wallet without actually 'figuring it out.'

Spoiler:
It was HIMS's mention of Shepard's 'Pie' that did it. And I guess somewhere in the back of my brain knowing your love of numbers subconsciously joined in, I went back and counted the number of letters in the words. I could never 'use' it to solve problems and get the correct answers, but I could always remembered the various formula that it was supposed to give answer to. I have no problem 'remembering' it to the five decimal places that the teachers drilled into us. I just can't 'use' Pi!

Stitchawl
Old 01-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #10720
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
And to Stitchy:
You're telling us again and again that you can't put one and two together and now you know the first 21 digits of pi by heart?????
Nope. I'm telling you that I know the first five. What on earth would make you think I know 21 of them? We didn't have to memorize more than five.

(Actually, I can even remember all 11 numbers of my telephone number, and all 9 of my Social Security numbers. Five is easy.) I can remember almost all the formulas that I had to learn in school. And as long as I don't have to 'use them' in any way, or write them down, I don't have a problem. It's only getting them from my brain out through my fingers onto paper, keyboard, or calculator that's a problem. Saying them is easy peasy!

But it's my bedtime now, so if anyone has a question, please feel free to put it up!

Stitchawl
Old 01-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #10721
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have a hard time believing the waiter would get that.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #10722
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I have a hard time believing the waiter would get that.
He would in Puzzle Land.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #10723
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Nope. I'm telling you that I know the first five. What on earth would make you think I know 21 of them? We didn't have to memorize more than five.
Because there have been 21 words! We silly ordinary mortals tried to make a sense of every one of it!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #10724
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Because there have been 21 words! We silly ordinary mortals tried to make a sense of every one of it!
It must be difficult to be ordinary...
But I didn't 'figure out' anything, or make sense of anything. My mind doesn't work that way. The idea just popped into my head when I read HIMS's reply of 'Shepard's Pie.' But I've been trained to trust my instincts. They are a natural part of human mental activity, but we've all been 'programed' since childhood not to believe them. "If Science can't 'prove' instincts or intuition, it must not be valid." In 1977 I joined a training program that said 'don't worry about proof. Use them anyway.' The 'training' over-rode that old programming. I have done so for all these years and have learned to trust them, use them, and benefit from them. BTW, that training is available to all. It works.

Since no one has posted a question, and I'm now awake for the day, here's a quickie;

A two-parter: What marine creature has the most deadly venom. (Note: NOT which marine creature is responsible for the most human deaths! Ergo, not the Box Jellyfish or Blue Ring Octopus.)

Why are there so few deaths resulting from this creature?

Stitchawl

Stitchawl
Old 01-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #10725
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
The Stone Fish?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote