Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-14-2012, 03:46 AM   #76
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
The current Nook Simple Touch has great battery life. No matter how they count it, what does and what does not draw power, it's fine!

What worried me is that according to their own specs that battery life i halved! Even with light off! I hope those specs are wrong!
Asawi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #77
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I am really excited about finally having some improvement in contrast even if it's just a bandaid (I want a new generation eink screen with improved contrast). I've preordered this nook. I can't wait!

As far as the poster that said that ereaders don't use battery when not used-- you're wrong. When I switch ereaders, I've left a fully charged kindle (and later nook touch) sitting unused with the wifi off. I went back several weeks later to find that the device was dead.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #78
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Most e-ink reader manuals will specify to shutdown your device if you don't plan on using it for an extended period.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #79
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
Most e-ink reader manuals will specify to shutdown your device if you don't plan on using it for an extended period.
Some devices, however, such as the Kindle, CANNOT be shut down. All you can do with a Kindle is put it to sleep. There's no way to "turn it off".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #80
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I was glad when people began to mention the PRS-700 four pages in.

My first thought at seeing the ST Glow: How are B&N going to fix the clarity issue encountered in the 700 if even Sony abandoned that idea?

I realize that e-ink workarounds have progressed since the 700, but isn't adding front lighting a job for a company that creates panels and film, not a one that repackages preexisting tech with budget-friendly specs and smart industrial design?

B&N can make e-readers which many users might prefer to Sonys, and they can offer a better value and shopping experience. But how are they going to solve what has remained an ongoing problem even for the company that first mastered the e-ink touch screen?

Of course B&N are going to call it "new tech." It's in their interests to find and point out some arbitrary distinction between the Glow and the 700. But is there a real distinction? There doesn't seem to be from the photos. Only those who demo the product in stores or buy it on faith will be able to tell us.

So far, B&N hasn't even given us an integrated light in any of their covers (not, at least, that I've seen).

The issue which B&N should be addressing is tighter case design and light implementation. Their hard cases make the Nook ST far larger than it needs to be, and the case mechanism is often arbitrary and too easy to unattach.

Picture Sony's slender case with the built-in light, but with the more modern approach to design used in third-party cases and some of the official Nook covers: fashionable, textured, current-color-palette aware. It would be nice to see a more snug version of covers like the Amalfi, too.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-14-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #81
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I am really excited about finally having some improvement in contrast even if it's just a bandaid (I want a new generation eink screen with improved contrast). I've preordered this nook. I can't wait!

As far as the poster that said that ereaders don't use battery when not used-- you're wrong. When I switch ereaders, I've left a fully charged kindle (and later nook touch) sitting unused with the wifi off. I went back several weeks later to find that the device was dead.
The eInk nooks have an auto shutdown mechanism to save battery if not used for extended periods. The nook classic would shutdown after 3 days. The STR is 2 weeks if memory serves me well.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #82
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps this is the reason that lit e-ink is suddenly viable -- that, in order to improve the front lighting of e-ink screens, Sony first had to correct the blurriness caused by the touch screen implementation, which they did after the 700's release.

From the Lit Kindle Touch thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovare View Post
The front light on Sony PRS-700 was apparently a disaster for most users, but lower-contrast and a touch-layer in addition to the side-lights might have added to the fuzzy display.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZUKaEf1eww

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/12/n...ight-hands-on/

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-14-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #83
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Some devices, however, such as the Kindle, CANNOT be shut down. All you can do with a Kindle is put it to sleep. There's no way to "turn it off".
You can turn off the Kindle if you hold the power down for about 10-15 seconds. The screen will go completely blank and when you turn it back on you will get the Kindle "load screen".
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #84
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I've never found a clip on light I've been happy with, can't wait to try a Nook with Glowlight
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #85
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
looks awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Cnet has a nice little video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dosj17Wotrw
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #86
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
This is about the only feature I'd need to add to an ereader. Oh, there are minor things like standardization of format and elimination of DRM, but this is really the big thing about my ereaders that I'd like to see.

Battery life is already so great that it can be halved without causing me any problem.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #87
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Well, ruggedness would be nice to have, or the reader being waterproof so I can take it to the beach with no fear the way I'd do with a cheap paper back ...
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #88
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Of course it can be turned off. Hold the power button for about 10-15 seconds until the screen goes blank.

Last edited by Skydog; 04-14-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #89
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Of course it can be turned off. Hold the power button for about 10-15 seconds until the screen goes blank.
The two of you might want to be clear as to which Kindle you're talking about. The Kindle Keyboard has a power slider, for example. Sliding and holding the switch for 20 seconds used to reset and reboot the device, not turn it off.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-14-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #90
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
The two of you might want to be clear as to which Kindle you're talking about. The Kindle Keyboard has a power slider, for example. Sliding and holding the switch for 20 seconds used to reset and reboot the device, not turn it off.
There are actually three different actions with the slider for the Kindle Keyboard:
Quote:
To put your Kindle to sleep: Slide and release the power switch. Other keys and buttons are locked in Sleep mode. Your Kindle will go to sleep mode after 10 minutes if you are not using it.

To turn your Kindle off: Slide and hold the power switch for seven seconds until the screen goes blank and then release.

To reset your Kindle: Disconnect your Kindle from any power source, and then slide and hold the power switch for 15 seconds before releasing.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200505460
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote