Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-21-2006, 05:52 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Hack to enable Web browsing on the iRex iLiad

Props to our dear iLiad hackers for totally rescuing a slow news day by dropping this in our laps: ali, arivero, and R2D2 et al. have figured out ways to enable the wired and/or wireless connection of the iLiad, even when you are not using it to connect to the iRex Delivery Server. If you want to browse the Web with your iLiad, jump to this thread and follow the details.

Don't forget to stop by our new iLiad hacking section - I am sure there'll be soon tons of more goodies to satisfy everyone's appetite.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:06 AM   #2
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Good thing that tribble was so an enthusiastic user, risking to do every kind of things in a new machine.

And note that it is a potential risk to enable browsing in a huge LAN because the root password is very easy to guess, and worms will get into it if they wish. No problem afaik if you browse from your NAT address at home. In any case, the risk is low because automated attack systems do not carry ARM binaries nor busybox.

Last edited by arivero; 07-21-2006 at 06:08 AM.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2006, 07:35 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Thanks for the hint, arivero. And our gratitude to tribble for testing.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I am your humble servant
But it would not have been done without the help of many others. I would say nice group effort. Lets hope we will keep working together so successfully.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:02 AM   #5
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
Yes, better replace "R2D2" by "tribble". I am just the one not finding the power switch, asking stupid questions and trying to do even more stupid stuff. ;-)
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2
Yes, better replace "R2D2" by "tribble". I am just the one not finding the power switch, asking stupid questions and trying to do even more stupid stuff. ;-)
Hey, in computers, "stupid" questions just make you think about things from the bottom up. Well, not in tech support, but otherwise....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:30 AM   #7
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Hey, in computers, "stupid" questions just make you think about things from the bottom up. Well, not in tech support, but otherwise....
i can say what stupid questions cause in tech support:
the urge to strangle the user with the phone cord or alternatively wish you had a E.C. button on your phone (aka Electrocute Caller).

b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
the urge to strangle the user with the phone cord or alternatively wish you had a E.C. button on your phone (aka Electrocute Caller).

Yeah, they stop letting me answer the user calls, something about suggesting that someone had been smoking crack I think -- I love it when a plan comes together
Old 07-21-2006, 11:35 AM   #9
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k

Someone's been reading too much BOFH...
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:38 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz
Someone's been reading too much BOFH...
Okay, I give: "BOFH?"

Edit -- oh, wait, nevermind
Old 07-21-2006, 11:49 AM   #11
Riocaz
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you work or have worked in IT then I recommend you read them...

I know several real-life sysadmins who match this general description, though not quite so ready to take a luser's life via cattleprod.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:21 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
If you work or have worked in IT then I recommend you read them...

I know several real-life sysadmins who match this general description, though not quite so ready to take a luser's life via cattleprod.
I'm reading them now. You'll probably also enjoy www.UserFriendly.org -- I do.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:36 PM   #13
Riocaz

not for a couple of years.

It started getting a bit samey.

Much like Dilbert.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Much like Dilbert.
Last place I worked, I had to stop reading Dilbert -- it's bad when it get's too similar to what your actual work is like.