Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Strange problem with formatting

This refers to an issue with an ebook file on my Sony 505, but I believe it has more to do with the formatting and thus I chose this forum as opposed to the Sony 505 forum.

I have a book in rtf format that I cleaned up, converted to html in MS Word, and then to lrf in Book Designer 4. It is a short book with the file size being only 0.5 MB. I import the ebook to Calibre and then to my 505. When I open the book in the 505, it actually goes through the formatting process for several hours before the book finally opens up, and each page turn takes 2 or 3 times longer than any other book I have. I have re-done the book several times and still get this strange behavior. Any ideas?
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
I have a book in rtf format that I cleaned up, converted to html in MS Word, and then to lrf in Book Designer 4. It is a short book with the file size being only 0.5 MB. I import the ebook to Calibre and then to my 505.
At least judging from Kovid's version control log comments, Book Designer produces pretty terrible LRFs. Try just converting the HTML to LRF (or EPUB!) directly with Calibre?
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
ive only ever seen a load time once in over 60 LRFs..
I use the sony library for syncing though

send me a copy of your HTML0 File, and the LRF and i will see if it happens on my 700.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
This refers to an issue with an ebook file on my Sony 505, but I believe it has more to do with the formatting and thus I chose this forum as opposed to the Sony 505 forum.

I have a book in rtf format that I cleaned up, converted to html in MS Word, and then to lrf in Book Designer 4. It is a short book with the file size being only 0.5 MB. I import the ebook to Calibre and then to my 505. When I open the book in the 505, it actually goes through the formatting process for several hours before the book finally opens up, and each page turn takes 2 or 3 times longer than any other book I have. I have re-done the book several times and still get this strange behavior. Any ideas?
I've been told that MSWord has truly horrible HTML formatting. Why don't you just import the RTF directly into calibre?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

Why convert it to HTML in Word? BD will take the RTF directly without all the junk Word put into it's HTML. If you want PM me for an email addy and I'll try you file on my 505 to see if it does the same thing (or send the HTML0 and I'll process it in my BD install to see if anything different happens).

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram
At least judging from Kovid's version control log comments, Book Designer produces pretty terrible LRFs. Try just converting the HTML to LRF (or EPUB!) directly with Calibre?
Do you know what's supposed to be wrong with them? I've made dozens of LRF's in BD and haven't had any problems with them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2009, 03:05 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All my Sony books are created with BD. I've had no reports of excessive load times with them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:15 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
One of the major bugs in BD is how it handles unicode characters. The LRF format has a special structure for unicode, however BD just puts unicode directly into text streams, this can lead to invalid LRF files if the unicode happens to contain characters that when encoded correspond to formatting codes.

There are various other ways that the LRF generated by BD is sub-optimal, but I wont go into them here.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Lots of good replies, thanks.

I'm going to play with it a bit and might take some of you folks up on emailing you the file to try on your devices.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #9
daesdaemar
Addict

OK, here is what I did:

I tried to convert the book in rtf format with Calibre, but it failed. BTW, most of my rtf files will not convert in Calibre. I generally have to convert them to html first. Any ideas why?

I imported the rtf file into the Sony Connect software and then ported it to my 505 and it opened instantly. So, I guess I would have to suspect the problem is Book Designer???
Old 01-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
I tried to convert the book in rtf format with Calibre, but it failed. BTW, most of my rtf files will not convert in Calibre. I generally have to convert them to html first. Any ideas why?
THis happens for RTFs that violate the RTF spec an have non ASCII characters in them
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote