Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-16-2008, 07:30 AM   #1
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Official Beach Boys thread

I like the Beach Boys because they are something of a hold-out from an era-gone-by (and were even then), yet incorporated juuuust the right mix of progressive and traditional elements to make music that is still very memorable and relevant. Their big hipster album to review on Pitchfork is Pet Sounds, which is a very good album even if it does peak early on in the listen, which is officially my new criticism that I am leveling at Brian Wilson for that one (Brian, if you're reading this...you're like a big, immature kid but it's probably just a mental illness, so it's all good; I love you, man!). If you like Pet Sounds, you should check out this website:
http://www.autistici.com/petsounds.htm
...which has some good stuff on it ("I Know There's an Answer" is my favorite). And also if you like The Beach Boys and their music, I would also recommend Dave Chapelle's stand-up comedies and movies (i.e. Half Baked, The Nutty Professor). If you like that stuff, you will like Chapelle's Show and especially his stand-up comedy. Check it out, but this is still the Beach Boys thread so if you have any thoughts about the Beach Boys, then let 'em fly!
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:27 AM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky69 View Post
hold-out from an era-gone-by
Hey!! Some of us resemble that remark. I'm guessing you are one of the younger generation of forum members.

And that website didn't sound like the Beach Boys *I* remember.
But I'm glad you like their (original) sound. I do too.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert