Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #1
ylsul
Connoisseur
ylsul is on a distinguished road

Battery Meter

Hi,
I spent 2 hours last night reading my ereader after I had freshly charged it. Over that time, the battery meter dropped a bar (!). I had updated the rom as soon as I bought the unit.

Have any of you noticed this also?
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
The question is: how many pages have you turned?
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
ylsul
Connoisseur

Haha, only a chapter or two. I dunno, maybe 60 pages?
Old 03-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Are you using the updated firmware?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Read this thread. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9937 Apparently some people get the full 7500 page turns while others don't. Did you charge the reader when you first got it, and for how long? I charged mine till the red light turned off. I read, I think, 3 rtf books (around 300 pages each) before I lost a bar (in the middle of the third book). I don't know, I suppose that about average.
Also, did you read pdf? rtf? lrf? I think pdf takes more battery power than other formats.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2007, 05:18 PM   #6
ylsul
Connoisseur

I updated the firmware, and charged it until the light went off.
I've been reading a book I got from the Sony bookstore (Snowcrash), which has been loaded onto the Reader's internal memory. I'm only a few chapters into the story, although I set the font size to large, so I've been turning the pages more often than I suppose one normally would.

I'll keep an eye on battery life and see how things go over the next few days.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:38 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm guessing that this is your first charge cycle? Yes no?

If so you may have to do a full discharge/recharge cycle before the meter fully calibrates itself -- it has to 'learn' what a full and empty battery 'looks' like.

You could try playing an MP3 file (it'll auto-repeat) 'til it shuts down from the low battery warning, and then charging it fully from there. That might help.

As I recall, a number of folks had 'first cycle' battery issues like you're describing.

Hope that helps.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
The problem is probably with the updated firmware. Since I updated the battery meter keeps fluctuating all over the place. Reset the unit and see if it shows fully charged. If so its the firmware.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:46 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To fix the battery meter, first charge it with the wall charger until the "Charge" light goes out. Leave the charger plugged in. Then, switch on the Reader (if it isn't on already), unplug the charger from the Reader and with the Reader switched on plug the charger back into the Reader for a few seconds. The battery meter should immediately jump up to 4 bars and is now correctly calibrated.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
ylsul
Connoisseur

Ooh, great. Thanks, I'll try that HarryT.

On another note, how does one reset the reader? I can't find the "any key"
Old 03-23-2007, 12:25 PM   #11
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
If you lift the bottom of the cover, you'll see a small hole. Push a paper clip in there and it will reset it.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:35 PM   #12
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ
If you lift the bottom of the cover, you'll see a small hole. Push a paper clip in there and it will reset it.
Don't forget to turn the unit of after your pushed the reset button. Otherwise you will wait a long time before something happens.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #13
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylsul
I updated the firmware, and charged it until the light went off.
I've been reading a book I got from the Sony bookstore (Snowcrash),
Oh, oh, there's your problem. You probably caught a "snow crash" from that book. All is lost unless you can get Hiro to fix it.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylsul
On another note, how does one reset the reader? I can't find the "any key"
DougFNJ and diabloNL have covered the soft reset, the more involved hard reset instructions are in the wiki if anyone wants those.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #15
ylsul
Connoisseur

Great! Thanks guys (bad pun there...)!