Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I am gong to make myself crazy(er)

I decided to delete some books from my kindle library. I thought I would just delete all the free books, because I have them on Calibre. Well, you have to do it one by one (and I started buying and downloading free books in 2009), and every time you delete a book, it goes back to the beginning. Well, I am going to be on vacation next week, and I guess I will spend a couple nights with a glass of wine deleting 4 years of books!

And before you ask, I am cleaning up the library so I can find something! Finding something from August of this year is impossible - I went to page 50 and I didn't find it. And I don't download every free book, just ones I would be interest in reading. Luckily, Calibre handles this so much better!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I decided to delete some books from my kindle library. I thought I would just delete all the free books, because I have them on Calibre. Well, you have to do it one by one (and I started buying and downloading free books in 2009), and every time you delete a book, it goes back to the beginning. Well, I am going to be on vacation next week, and I guess I will spend a couple nights with a glass of wine deleting 4 years of books!

And before you ask, I am cleaning up the library so I can find something! Finding something from August of this year is impossible - I went to page 50 and I didn't find it. And I don't download every free book, just ones I would be interest in reading. Luckily, Calibre handles this so much better!
I hope I understood you correctly. Delete them with Calibre where you're not limited to one at a time.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I hope I understood you correctly. Delete them with Calibre where you're not limited to one at a time.
That won't get them out of her Kindle library on Amazon.

It's quite painful to delete multiple books from the MYK page. Actually MYK in general is kind of painful to use. I've got thousands of freebies from back when I grabbed everything that sounded even a little bit interesting that I'd love to be able to easily delete permanently.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool DUH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That won't get them out of her Kindle library on Amazon....
DUH! I need a mug of coffee!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool open mouth, insert foot

Quote:
....I am cleaning up the library so I can find something! Finding something from August of this year is impossible - I went to page 50 and I didn't find it. And I don't download every free book, just ones I would be interest in reading. Luckily, Calibre handles this so much better!
I hope I don't open mouth, insert foot again, but IIRC the on-line Kindle library has a pretty good search function when it comes to using partial strings.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I hope I don't open mouth, insert foot again, but IIRC the on-line Kindle library has a pretty good search function when it comes to using partial strings.
It has been for me. Of course you have to wait several minutes for all of your books to 'load' (if you have a lot) before doing a search or it won't work right.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I think if you use the Your Collections page from "Your Media Library", you can use the check boxes to select the items you want to move to the trashcan. It should be pretty fast. You can also sort by "date acquired", "author" and "title".

I'd test it for you but I'm not looking to delete anything right now.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I think if you use the Your Collections page from "Your Media Library", you can use the check boxes to select the items you want to move to the trashcan. It should be pretty fast. You can also sort by "date acquired", "author" and "title".

I'd test it for you but I'm not looking to delete anything right now.
They go into the trash so they're hidden from your MYK page, but they aren't permanently deleted if that's what you want to accomplish. At least that's how it used to work.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They go into the trash so they're hidden from your MYK page, but they aren't permanently deleted if that's what you want to accomplish. At least that's how it used to work.
Interesting. I wonder if after selected items is sent to "trash", a call to Amazon can get them to permanently delete everything in the trash. I think I did that early on with a Topaz book I had issues with.

Even if items are only hidden from MYK, it might still work for Sydney's Mom's needs. She'll have a pared down view of her library that she can navigate easier.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Even if items are only hidden from MYK, it might still work for Sydney's Mom's needs. She'll have a pared down view of her library that she can navigate easier.
Oh, I agree. I'm thinking that for myself it might actually be better in a way. If it turns out I deleted something I shouldn't have there's a way to get it back.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Oh, I agree. I'm thinking that for myself it might actually be better in a way. If it turns out I deleted something I shouldn't have there's a way to get it back.
Great minds!...
Old 03-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is a wonderful idea! Even if they are retrievable, I am sure my family wouldn't look in the trash, because they are not that computer savvy.

I called Amazon and asked if they could delete my entire library. For reasons I understand, they said no. They suggested I create another account with another email address. But I thought Amazon didn't like multiple accounts for one person.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I called Amazon and asked if they could delete my entire library. For reasons I understand, they said no. They suggested I create another account with another email address. But I thought Amazon didn't like multiple accounts for one person.
Maybe it's because you have multiple Kindles on one account. Splitting out one Kindle would give you the ability to start fresh.

If you do this, I'd do it on the phone or via chat with CS so it doesn't come back to bite you in the rear in the future (make them put a note on your old and new accounts that this was "their" suggestion).
Old 03-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

DAFFY I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE YOU!

This is going to be great. I checked all 2600 books, and I can just uncheck them. You can also do it page by page. Amazon should have suggested that-Daffy you are the best!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Glad it worked for you!