Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #16
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
Hello Skydog. How would a cam ruin it?
I personally prefer the 7". Its so much easier to carry around.
I like the 7" too, however...

The addition of a camera would 1) add weight and 2) increase the cost. The reason so many of us purchased the Fire was precisely for its form factor (small, lightweight) at an inexpensive price. Adding any more features will raise the price and put the Fire in another category altogether.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:33 AM   #17
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
What's funny is now Apple is working on a 7-8 inch tablet to compete with the Fire
and Amazon is working on a 8-9 inch tablet to compete with the iPad
We will see who's strategy works and who's doesn't
I think most Fire owners bought one due to price alone and not for its features or what it could/couldn't do
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:52 AM   #18
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
What's funny is now Apple is working on a 7-8 inch tablet to compete with the Fire
and Amazon is working on a 8-9 inch tablet to compete with the iPad
We will see who's strategy works and who's doesn't
I think most Fire owners bought one due to price alone and not for its features or what it could/couldn't do
$200 is a very fair price for the Kindle Fire. That was a smart move on Amazon's part. It'll be interesting to see how Apple prices their smaller tablet.

Even though I won't be shopping for another tablet anytime soon, I'm looking forward to seeing what Amazon comes up with if they do sell a larger tablet. If they do it right (right features at the right price), they can give the competition a run for their money!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #19
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
If we all waited for the next version, we would never buy anything and the industry would just stop designing anything. I know we all are low on money but we have to thing about what is going to work and go for that if that is what we are going to use. I am finding that the Fire is great for what I want it for. Could it be better sure but I do not see it any better for the price.
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #20
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
Reading this kind of reminds me of Ralph Kramden not buying a tv because he was waiting for 3D tv.

I have a cellphone I carry everywhere I go; it has gps and a camera - I don't need every device I own to have duplicate features. And although I went and bought a "button" microphone, which works for recording on the Fire, I've actually found little use for it.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #21
hoosiermama
Enthusiast
hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
I have a cellphone I carry everywhere I go; it has gps and a camera - I don't need every device I own to have duplicate features. And although I went and bought a "button" microphone, which works for recording on the Fire, I've actually found little use for it.
This is me...I have no need/want for a camera on my Fire. I don't Skype, so I don't see a need for a microphone. The Fire does everything I need for it to do. I love watching movies on it, I read on it, I play games on it, I surf on it...I don't see much else that I need.
hoosiermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #22
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiermama View Post
This is me...I have no need/want for a camera on my Fire. I don't Skype, so I don't see a need for a microphone. The Fire does everything I need for it to do. I love watching movies on it, I read on it, I play games on it, I surf on it...I don't see much else that I need.
Same here. I take pictures, I bring them into the Kindle and edit them with the Adobe apps which is great. Using a tablet as a camera is a pain in the ... It's actually a huge waste of battery too.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #23
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I like the 7" too, however...

The addition of a camera would 1) add weight and 2) increase the cost. The reason so many of us purchased the Fire was precisely for its form factor (small, lightweight) at an inexpensive price. Adding any more features will raise the price and put the Fire in another category altogether.
I'm inclined to agree. I find the KF a near perfect content consumption device. What it is NOT is a tool for photography. Neither, by the way, is my iPad. If I want a quick snapshot I use my phone. If I want a photo to save for posterity I use a...what's it called?....oh, yeah...a CAMERA. Furthermore, Furthermore, beyond quick notes and email management, the KF is simply not well designed for content creation.

Furthermore, I'm skeptical that Amazon can compete successfully in the pure "tablet" product category space. (In this case tablet means a 9"-10" screen, bluetooth support for peripherals, and other features designed to support content creation.)

I say that because as formidable as Amazon is, it is neither a computer hardware manufacturer nor a software development firm. The infrastructure necessary for development and support of cutting edge devices in this product space goes far beyond what Amazon currently has in place.

In addition, once Amazon moves into that marketplace, their central business objective for the entire Kindle line is undermined. Devices like the iPad and full-fledged Android tablets are not so singularly focused on selling digital content. And for that reason Apple and other tablet manufacturers must make a significant profit on the device, itself. If Amazon wants to play in that space, they will have to change their business model to reflect that same need.

All in all, I'd like to see Amazon move cautiously and incrementally in terms of adding new devices to the kindle line. They did a great job of making the KF an enhanced version of the Kindles that already existed. I think that's the proper strategy as they go forward.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #24
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
I have a cellphone I carry everywhere I go; it has gps and a camera - I don't need every device I own to have duplicate features.
This is my feeling as well.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #25
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle1/iPhone/iPad/Droid/KindleDX/Kindle 3G/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire
Nope. Not waiting. Not anymore.

I just pressed the buy button after reading through the posts here.
jacksonunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
How about an SD Card!
Most definitely. The device is useless without one.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #27
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonunit View Post
Nope. Not waiting. Not anymore.

I just pressed the buy button after reading through the posts here.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #28
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
I think I'm more interested in an Amazon Smartphone than a Fire 2. Hopefully we'll see one by the end of the year!
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #29
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't think we'll ever honestly see an SD card reader on the Kindle fire. I've got a newer android tablet and a newer android phone, and the trend (even the OS), is moving away from using SDCards.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #30
enrigonz
enrigonz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire |iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Most definitely. The device is useless without one.
"Useless"?

Not sure what exactly you want to do with a kindle Fire but I find it very useful with or without the SD slot.
enrigonz is offline   Reply With Quote