Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 03:08 AM   #76
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
I can recommend installing iTerm and Midnight Commander for Mac. Then you control all the operations 100% the Linux way.

iTerm:
http://iterm.sourceforge.net/

MC installer:
http://louise.hu/poet/?p=4015
http://rudix.googlecode.com/files/mc-4.7.1-2.dmg
Or you can use MacPorts / Fink for compiling from sources.

After installing MC start iTerm and type there mc

Last edited by dima_tr; 10-12-2010 at 03:12 AM.
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:28 AM   #77
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
mackx,
Everything now works. I rechecked all the directories and files, copied what was missing and all is now ok.

Thanks, Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:26 AM   #78
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Good to hear it works now. So the trick is to 'merge' the zip-file onto the SD-card, because by default all folders on the destination are removed and re-created. Did you use any of the tools that dima_tr recommended? I will add a special warning in the manual (anyone read it?)
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #79
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
(anyone read it?)
Yes. And it helped me finding the setting for reopening the last read document after a reboot.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:25 AM   #80
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Oh yes I read the manual. I didn'tuse the tools, just compared directories as ther isn't a lot in most
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #81
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
Quote:
Is it possible to use rxvt as indicated a few messages up? The output would be interesting (if you still find energy to install patches that is...).
Running the desktopfile gives:
ApplyMackxPatch.desktop line1: [Desktop: not found
ApplyMackxPatch.desktop line4: MackxHack: not found

Though I got similar errors with the djvu-patch, which did eventually install (correctly I think).

Installing from the .sh file did install the patch. And it seems to be working except for:
- Recently Read is still Recently Added (in name and function)
- When safely removing the screen goes black, then blank screen

These problems might well be peculiar to my device though.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #82
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Could be the same problem with extracting files on Windows PC using WinZip ... 7zip rulez.
See this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=93627&page=6 from #85 and further.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #83
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs View Post
Running the desktopfile gives:
ApplyMackxPatch.desktop line1: [Desktop: not found
ApplyMackxPatch.desktop line4: MackxHack: not found

Though I got similar errors with the djvu-patch, which did eventually install (correctly I think).

Installing from the .sh file did install the patch. And it seems to be working except for:
You should indeed run the .sh from rxvt and not the desktop file.

Quote:
- Recently Read is still Recently Added (in name and function)
The behaviour has changed (since p4 I think), I added an extra icon called Recently Read, so you should see both Recently Read and Recently Added (and Applications and Xournals).
Did you see the new settings-icons in the Settings-view? (See manual /Programs/_mackxpatch/docs/.)
Quote:
- When safely removing the screen goes black, then blank screen

These problems might well be peculiar to my device though.
Safely removing from PC or safely removing SD-card from DR? There was an issue in an older 2.0RC where you could not recover anymore after Safely Remove SD-card from the DR.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #84
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
The behaviour has changed (since p4 I think), I added an extra icon called Recently Read, so you should see both Recently Read and Recently Added (and Applications and Xournals).
Did you see the new settings-icons in the Settings-view? (See manual /Programs/_mackxpatch/docs/.)
No, they aren't there. None of those you mentioned. They're also missing from the settings menu where you can set the priority. Perhaps this is because I didn't "upgrade" from p4, but installed p5 directly?

Quote:
Safely removing from PC or safely removing SD-card from DR? There was an issue in an older 2.0RC where you could not recover anymore after Safely Remove SD-card from the DR.
Safely removing from DR1000. This happens when I select the function to remove the card. When I actually remove it, it shows the right message (no SD-card) and inserting again works fine too I think.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #85
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
No, they aren't there. None of those you mentioned. They're also missing from the settings menu where you can set the priority. Perhaps this is because I didn't "upgrade" from p4, but installed p5 directly?
No, it should be possible to update directly to p5.

Quote:
Safely removing from DR1000. This happens when I select the function to remove the card. When I actually remove it, it shows the right message (no SD-card) and inserting again works fine too I think.
From above messages, it looks like there is a problem with gconf. The installation scripts adds the new views to gconf and they are read from during startup of ctb (ContentBrowser). So if gconf can not be updated, no new views will appear.

Is there anyone that knowns how to check correctness of gconf?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #86
dima_tr
Groupie

From http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/

Some other weird thing is wrong with my gconf!!!

Try shutting down gconfd (gconftool-2 --shutdown) and running the gconf-sanity-check-1 or gconf-sanity-check-2 applications - these will tell you about common problems.

No personal experience though ...
Old 10-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #87
rvs
Groupie

Thanks dima_tr and Mackx.

Im not very Linux-savvy so I don't really understand much of what I'm doing right now

gconftool-2 is installed and I can get it to shutdown, but the sanity checks aren't installed (I think). I also tried gconf-edit, but also to no avail.

I take it gconf isn't reinstalled when installing new firmware?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #88
rvs
Groupie

Perhaps it's not a gconf error, but an install-error. The required schemas haven't even been copied to etc/gconf/schemas.

I could try reinstalling it and see what happens. But I suppose I need to uninstall it first? How do I uninstall the patch using rxvt?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #89
rvs
Groupie

I solved the first problem by modifying the install script so it only installed the schemas. After two tries it worked. So I'm almost where I should be.

The problem with removing the SD-card is still there, but I can live with that (for now )
Old 10-13-2010, 02:39 AM   #90
Mackx
Guru

Hi rvs,

What I did not do for this patch is to create a schema file for the extra keys that are used for the last-app functionality. I wonder if that could cause some of the problems. gconf-data is not overwritten when a new firmware is installed, so people that had the 'RecentFiles'-patch of firmware R1.7.1 installed would still have the correct keys in gconf (including me).
If the keys are not in gconf that would also mean that the 'last-app' functionality is not working. Did you have an opertunity to check it?
(Although, I forgot to handle SD-card removal in the current patch, so I am not using gconf during card-removal at this moment...)

See that attached file for the schema file of the R1.7.1 patch, you would need to copy it into the _mackxpatch/schema folder and add the following lines to _apply.sh (make sure you use an editor that is 'Unix-line-ending-aware'):
Code:
	/bin/cp -f ./schemas/open_files.schemas /etc/gconf/schemas/open_files.schemas
	gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule /etc/gconf/schemas/open_files.schemas
(I attached a modified _apply.sh)

I will add them for the next update of the patch.

The missing keys in gconf could explain the black-screen during start-up, the keys are read and maybe the code (that I added) does not handle the 'keys not available' situation correctly, causing a crash of (the patched) ctb...
If this is the real problem, the code above should solve that.
(Unfortunately I still have no explanaition for the problems when removing the SD-card.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip open_files.zip (511 Bytes, 265 views)
File Type: zip _apply.zip (1.8 KB, 255 views)