Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2007, 06:44 AM   #1
quek
Enthusiast
quek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS500, Iliad
My review on PRS500 -> Good!

Hi Everyone

This is Quek from Singapore. I have just joined the forum. I got my reader on the 6th of Dec 2006 and have been quite satisfied with it. With the correct expectations set, I think the reader can be a great buy! Here is why:

1. *** Excellent battery life ***
Expect to charge the reader every other day if you play lots of mp3. Otherwise, the battery can really last for at least 4 weeks per charge. I can't remember any other modern gadgets that is on par with its battery life, can you?

2. *** Reading pdf files ***
When I first received the reader, I tried to open a 14Mb pdf file(402pg) using it and it actually froze! So I extracted about 50page and retried. While it was possible to display the text, the page turning is painfully slow. My conclusion on pdf files is that regardless of the size or number of pages, it is going to be slow and impractical. Even if the next firmware upgrade adds more zooming or even panning capabilities, it would still have a speed problem and hence make reading of pdf files a painful process.

I tried to use the librie printer to convert my pdf file to BBeB format but the printout quality was too bad and the text was not legible. Luckily alex_d saved the day with his PDFrasterFarian printer(http://tinyurl.com/yf6l27). It managed to convert my 14Mb pdf textbook into BBeB format with very good quality. All equations, diagrams can be clearly displayed on the reader. Since seeing is believing, I have attached a sample pdf and its corresponding BBeB output. The file "Razavi.lrf.pdf" needs to be renamed to "Razavi.lrf" in order to be used on the reader.

Setup is simple: Simply download the 4 rar files, uncompress them and execute the file "install.cmd" (Thanks alex_d, just a little advertisement for your tool. I am really happy that you came up with the tool )

How about conversion to BBeB format for 2-column research papers? The tool is capable of breaking up a page into 4 parts so the text can be easily read. See the attached sample pages. Notice that the tool is even intelligent enough to allocate vertical and horizontal overlaps between pages.

3. *** Connect software ***
It is really strange that I have been reading so many negative comments on it. I think it is a basic but nevertheless ok software. I have encountered worse. So far, it has never crashed, froze, etc. The only complaint I have is that it does not have a button to disconnect the reader. So this means that after every transfer, if I would like to view the file on the reader, I have to close the program before pulling the usb plug from the reader. A minor inconvenience.

4. *** Screen colour ***
As noted in other reviews, the screen is not white as we have hoped that it would be. It is slightly greyish which give a little problem when reading under low light conditions.

5. *** Asian text display ***
While it is not able to display Asian text in BBeB format, it is possible to do so if it is in pdf format.

Hope that this review is useful for those who are still deciding on whether to get an Iliad or PRS500. I have attached a sample picture to help you decide.

Best regards
Quek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sample_pic.JPG
Views:	627
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	2566  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Razavi.pdf (75.9 KB, 403 views)
File Type: pdf Razavi.lrf.pdf (64.7 KB, 296 views)
File Type: pdf paper.pdf (51.2 KB, 813 views)
File Type: pdf paper.lrf.pdf (239.0 KB, 306 views)
quek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by quek
3. *** Connect software ***
It is really strange that I have been reading so many negative comments on it. I think it is a basic but nevertheless ok software. I have encountered worse. So far, it has never crashed, froze, etc. The only complaint I have is that it does not have a button to disconnect the reader. So this means that after every transfer, if I would like to view the file on the reader, I have to close the program before pulling the usb plug from the reader. A minor inconvenience.
Hi Quek - welcome to the forum!

The "Connect" software is a strange one. Some people seem to have major problems with it - hang ups, crashes, the works - whereas for other people (including me) it works perfectly. I have to agree with you about being able to view files on the Reader while it's connected to USB, though . There's a new version of Connect being released this month, apparently, so perhaps that will address some of these issues.

All the best,
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Yeah, Connect software... I think the store is poorly organized, but I've never had any problems with the software itself in terms of functionality or crashing.... um, *knocks on wood*
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
TND
TJ
TND began at the beginning.

Second reader in singapore?

Hey congrats on getting the reader. Its a brilliant device. A lot better than the illiad (I got that first and that does show potential if they get the software and batt issues sorted out).

So now we have 2 devices floating around in Singapore (I have one and am in Sing).

Wonder if there are others?
TND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:11 AM   #5
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Hi there ... wondering where you got your Readers from in Singapore? Any lobang?
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #6
quek
Enthusiast
quek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS500, Iliad
Not two. Three in Singapore.   I got one for my friend too. A friend in US brought them over.
quek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
TND
TJ

Snappy i got mine from williamg. You can drop him a pm if you want. Nice person and very prompt to respond.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
TND
TJ

Hi quek. Well two and a broken one then. A friend of mine sort of took mine away and just returned it with a broken screen. I could just cry i tell you. So now i have a broken reader that i need to get fixed somehow.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #9
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Ouch! Hope your friend is paying!
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #10
TND
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
Ouch! Hope your friend is paying!

Oh boy is he paying!! Not just the cost of the repairs but I am going to get free drinks out of him for this as well!