Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-07-2009, 03:26 AM   #1
physics@war
Connoisseur
physics@war began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question What is the button on the stylus for?

Hi I realize their is a side button on the stylus for the DS1000S,

Wonder if it is used for any reason?

physics@war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Is it a button? I can not press it.
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
It's not a button. I think I've read that's a spot in the molding of the plastic body where the WACOM sensor is inserted into the stylus during production. Some other styli do have a button there as well, but the basic one does not.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
ayhanb
ayhanb began at the beginning.

Device: q1u
yes it is a button because i have a oqo same sort of pen i have from wacom you can use for right click or whatever you want it to do
ayhanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I think the default stylus doesn't have a button. It is just a cover for the Sensor as Shaggy said. The alternative styli do have buttons, but they are not used in the DR at present and (probably never will be IMHO)

Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
Avenger
Connoisseur
Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.

Device: iREX DR 1000S
The button emulates a right mouse click when you touch the stylus on the surface of a Tablet PC. It has no function for the Digital Reader.
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
Warriah
Enthusiast
Warriah began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR-1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
The button emulates a right mouse click when you touch the stylus on the surface of a Tablet PC. It has no function for the Digital Reader.
are we talking of the same stylus? I wonder it were usable..

Last edited by Warriah; 08-09-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Warriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriah View Post
are we talking of the same stylus?
I suspect not.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
lastgasp
lastgasp began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000 Hanvon N516 Bebook NEO
I tested the tiny stylus that comes with the dr1000 on a tabletkiosk PC tablet with wacom support. From my test I find there is no right-click function available. The tiny stylus works fine otherwise on my pc tablet i.e. left click function with pressure. The thing I am curious about is if the plastic nib is removable in the tiny dr1000 stylus.
lastgasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
Avenger
Connoisseur
Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.

Device: iREX DR 1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriah View Post
are we talking of the same stylus? I wonder it were usable..

No, I am talking about one of the other syluses they produce (I don't know if its called professional or advanced?) I though that was the kind of stylus the OP was referring to. I happen to have one because a Tablet PC I have has a Wacom touch screen and came with it. It has an actual button to press for right clicking. Sorry for the confusion.
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #11
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
My stylus on HP tablet came with 3 button,
1. on the tip for click.
2. on the side, work as right mouse
3. on the tail, work as eraser when using in word or some application.
It is default stylusfor new tablet with VISTA+

the button functions can be changed by control panel.
It is also exchanged with DR stylus but all buttons do the sane thing "CLICK" usless DR has new firmware.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #12
cmhsieh54
Enthusiast
cmhsieh54 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Earlier tonight, I left my 'basic' stylus on the DR1000S screen and it rolled and it left a mark. Then I discovered that if you drag the stylus with the 'button' touching the screen, it simulates a pen mark.

Interesting, but I'm not sure whether there's any practical use that one could derive from this behavior.
cmhsieh54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:39 AM   #13
Groen
eReader
Groen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsieh54 View Post
Earlier tonight, I left my 'basic' stylus on the DR1000S screen and it rolled and it left a mark. Then I discovered that if you drag the stylus with the 'button' touching the screen, it simulates a pen mark.
The Wacom-technology is based on a resonance loop. The stylus comprises part of a resonance loop, probably an electrical coil (causing inductance). The tip itself is probably only a core for the electrical coil.

This would mean the part of the stylus that is recognised by the board is in the stylus itself. The core only "expands" the electromagnetic "presence" to the tip.

The supposed button is probably covering the opening where the coil was inserted into the stylus.

Groen
Groen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groen View Post
The Wacom-technology is based on a resonance loop. The stylus comprises part of a resonance loop, probably an electrical coil (causing inductance). The tip itself is probably only a core for the electrical coil.

This would mean the part of the stylus that is recognised by the board is in the stylus itself. The core only "expands" the electromagnetic "presence" to the tip.

The supposed button is probably covering the opening where the coil was inserted into the stylus.

Groen
Exactly. As far as I know, there's actually nothing in the tip. It's just a plastic nib. The "guts" that trigger the screen are in the stylus itself, and are inserted during the manufacturing process through a hole left in the molding of the stylus body. The "button" is just a plug to fill in that hole afterwards.

Yes, other WACOM stylus do have buttons, but the basic one that comes with the iRex device does not.

That's also why the calibration is so sensitive to the angle you hold the stylus. Since the component that triggers the screen is in the body, not the tip, holding it at different angles will effect where the screen thinks the tip is located. It's important to calibrate it using the exact same position as you do for writing.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:11 PM   #15
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
One noticable.
I got spare stylus tip, it is useless when use with screen. but insert it into a stylus pen works.
It should not be a whole plastic unless plastic can convey magnetism (some polymer can)
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote