Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
scotland52x
scotland52x began at the beginning.

Device: kobo e-reader box
Am i able to get internet (non wi-fi) on a Kobo vox e-reader

i travel to london a lot and there is no wi-fi on the trains. i also have a flat in london with no broadband. would be great if i could use this kobo on trains etc.
I'm sure i saw somebody connected on a train before? is there anything i can pay for for it or anything at all?

thanks guys
scotland52x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
No internet on the Vox without Wi-Fi...sorry! Could have been a Playbook you saw, since they are the same size OR it could've been another 7" tablet with the Kobo app loaded...?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I answered in your other thread, but I'll post here too...

The only thing I can think of is some type of MiFi device. I know at least one of our moderators, HarryT, who's from the UK has mentioned using one (not specifically for the Vox).

I don't know if this is a good one or if the price is good compared to others...
http://store.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/MiFi

Basically a MiFi device uses 3G (4G?) to access the net and acts as a WiFi router for devices like the Vox.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
None of the e-reader tablets from the majors companies (aka the Kindle Fire, the Kobo Vox, etc.) have 3G. You have two options that I can think of:

- create a wifi zone via a 3G connected device (such as a laptop with both Wifi and a 3G internet stick)

- get a 3G-enabled tablet (such as the 3G iPad) and run the Kobo software on it.

I have a smartphone for my data access on the go, and use my Kobo Vox for reading on the go. I suppose that's another option, if you don't need to download books all the time (because you preload piles of them before you go).
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote