Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #46
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
P, How is this done?

Thanks!
You have to strip the DRM and convert the file to something the Sony can open, like ePub.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #47
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Another technique that I use to transfer files from the computer to my T1 wirelessly is to use Dropbox. I upload the book on my computer to Dropbox. Then I log-in to the mobile Dropbox website on my T1 to download. No USB cables required! It's nice if say you've left your ereader on your bedroom nightstand and are working on your computer in another room (especially if you have a two-story house).
COOL! I like that! Will use it!
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #48
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
You have to strip the DRM and convert the file to something the Sony can open, like ePub.
P, Thanks!

That's what I figured.

Then I don't think this option should offered up here as being viable...and certainly not as a favorable attribute for Kindle.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #49
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Then I don't think this option should offered up here as being viable...and certainly not as a favorable attribute for Kindle.
It's not being offered as a favorable attribute for the Kindle. It is being offered as a favorable attribute for the Sony.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:17 AM   #50
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
It's not being offered as a favorable attribute for the Kindle. It is being offered as a favorable attribute for the Sony.
Which really isn't an advantage, since a Kindle owner could just as easily remove DRM from a non-Amazon purchase and convert it into Amazon's silly proprietary format.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #51
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Quote:
P, How is this done?
1.) Root the T1
2.) Install Kindle App
3.) Enjoy
4.) Mess the device by installing incompatible apps or doing weird stuff.
5.) Search for help: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141
6.) goto 3.)
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Huh. I have 4 Kindles, and one Sony, and I find that they all work just fine.

And - by the way - the Kindle is NOT locked to a single supplier for content.
It is if you are talking about content with DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #53
matteos72
Enthusiast
matteos72 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
unfortunately not.

Yes - there's one in the Dev forum. But if you are a beginner - don't try that. There's allready a forum member that bricked the device without any chance for recovery.

The best way for you is go with Link2SD as explained in the wiki. This will move apps to external SD card.

the problem is that with the last routing I have really very low space to download applet from android market... less than 10 megabytes. The latest Kindle's applet is more or less this size so I cannot ever download, and first you have to install in your main memory before you can do Link2SD. I really would like to try to increase the memory of the main Linux partition. if you have a specific link of the dev forum to suggest...?
matteos72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #54
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170132
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #55
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is if you are talking about content with DRM.
Amazon pulls enough truly Draconian moves without our having to make the company look good by accusing them of things they haven't done and being forced to munch our words afterward.

Like most stores connected to proprietary e-readers, Amazon is annoyingly controlling: It would like Kindle owners to stick to the Kindle Store. It does not, however, confine users to solely purchasing mobi books, let alone, DRM-wrapped mobi books, from there.

We've covered this multiple times in this one thread alone.

That said, the reason I bought a Kindle is because I'm in the publishing business and need to check how well a given title works on the Amazon store. In terms of everyday reading options, I much prefer my Sony Readers.

As a reader, I find myself having to convert mobi books to epub.

Recently, I bought an ebook from Amazon to support a friend, only to learn there were several passages in languages in which I wasn't fluent. I need to convert the book to epub to access Sony's multiple language dictionaries.

My Kindle doesn't include dictionaries in several languages, let alone, give me the option of switching inline language dictionaries while searching any book.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 02-26-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #56
matteos72
Enthusiast

(highlights does not work)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
Really? I've never noticed this to be a problem. Are you sure it's not a problem with this particular one?

Don't quite understand what you mean by this. Do you mean if you set it up to swipe? You can change the page turn preferences from right to left under 'General Settings'.

1st) (highlight) it does not work with the Kindle applet download by the android market. Probably this applet is developed for color tablet and not for electronic ink tablet. In any case when I highlight a part of the book the highlight is not visible, even if it is well recorded. Why I want to use Kindle? because I like the synchronization mechanism with other reader (like the same applet on Ipad) and it is easier way to buy book at Amazons.

2nd) button left/right: also here with the Kindle's applet does not work. As Kindle is developed for mobile phone it has an option to use Volume up /down to switch pages.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Like most stores connected to proprietary e-readers, Amazon is annoyingly controlling: It would like Kindle owners to stick to the Kindle Store. It does not, however, confine users to solely purchasing mobi books, let alone, DRM-wrapped mobi books, from there.
True Amazon does not force you to buy from them. But if you want to read an eBook that has DRM, you HAVE to but it from Amazon (stripping/converting not applicable).

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-27-2012 at 02:29 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:32 AM   #58
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Quote:
P, How is this done?

Thanks!
You install the android Kindle app on your rooted T1.
If you don't want to get into a risky business of resizing partitions etc,
do not use the latest version of the Kindle app, use version 3.2.0.35 instead.

matteos72,

The Kindle app version 3.2.0.35 still fits in

Last edited by parkher; 03-05-2012 at 02:41 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:44 AM   #59
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
uboot,

It seems that there is a slight possibility of messing a rooted T1 up by doing nothing:
there was at least one report that the recovery package was needed after the battery ran out possibly while T1 was in the sleep mode without a proper shut down - some apps were crashing after that, the recovery package was needed to fix the problem.

Fanchee,

You are describing a non-rooted T1.
If your T1 is rooted, you can use your own nested directory structure for your books, no need to keep them all together.
I have a 32 GB card full of books in my T1, maybe 100,000 books on the card, so I have folders for languages, for authors or multi-author collections, authors are split into first letters, then inside the letter "A" only the authors whose last name begins with "A", then the folder for that author, then a subfolder for each series (if there are any), etc.
This way you have your library in the way you like, not relying upon artificial logical collections.

To navigate this folder structure you could use an android file manager, but you don't have to. Both FBReader and Cool Reader 3 have their own integrated file managers. Especially suitable is Cool Reader as you can use page up/ page down with the T1 buttons, no need for scrolling.
You start Cool Reader, and you never leave it: you read books, you open new books, you get to the list of the last read books and switch to a different book, you use dictionaries, etc. - never leaving Cool Reader.

With Cool Reader, I also can use fonts I like at exact sizes I like, interline spacing I like, etc.
The most important - I can set margins I like. Can you believe it - the Sony reader does not allow to change margins at all! You are stuck with the impossibly tiny ones. And if you attempt using cropping - the margins may disappear altogether.
With Cool Reader, I can set any margins I want: at least more reasonable 4 mm, or in landscape mode - 1.5 cm or more on each side.

Last edited by parkher; 03-05-2012 at 06:14 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #60
matteos72
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
You install the android Kindle app on your rooted T1.
If you don't want to get into a risky business of resizing partitions etc,
do not use the latest version of the Kindle app, use version 3.2.0.35 instead.

matteos72,

The Kindle app version 3.2.0.35 still fits in
thanks
Are you too experiencing the issue with the Kindle Application on the Sony PRS-T1 where the highlights are not shown?
I have PRS-T1 Sony reader routed with the minimal Russian set.
any suggestions how to solve this issue?