Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Fact? Or Urban Legend

The Internet is an interesting mix of facts and Urban Legends. Do you know the difference?

Post your Urban Legends or strange facts and lets see if we really know the difference.

"Megan Fri was killed by 14 state troopers after she wandered onto a live fire training scene. Seeing the troopers all walking slow down the street, Megan jumped out in front of them and yelled, "Boo!" The troopers, thinking she was a pop up target, fired 67 shots between them."

Fact or Legend?
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
It's so stupid - gotta be fact!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
It's so stupid - gotta be fact!
Thats what I keep thinking, but then every time I say fact it's always a legend
Old 04-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Thats what I keep thinking, but then every time I say fact it's always a legend
So I assume it's untrue...?

Here's one:

An American woman dried her pet poodle in the microwave, killing it. She successfully sued the manufacturer, because the instructions did not say not to dry an animal in it.

True or false?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia

I don't actually know the answer, it could be either

The poodle in the microwave is a myth?
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The poodle in the microwave is a myth?
Until I looked it up, I actually believed it was true. However, there have apparently been no cases of this happening, or at least coming to court.

Origin: The legend about the microwaved pet has been with us since 1976, but its antecedents were around long before that. If lore is to be believed, foolhardy old ladies have been attempting to dry wet pets in clothes dryers and conventional ovens long before the invention of the microwave oven.

So you are right, Mortis.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Until I looked it up, I actually believed it was true. However, there have apparently been no cases of this happening, or at least coming to court.

Origin: The legend about the microwaved pet has been with us since 1976, but its antecedents were around long before that. If lore is to be believed, foolhardy old ladies have been attempting to dry wet pets in clothes dryers and conventional ovens long before the invention of the microwave oven.

So you are right, Mortis.
Yeah - I've heard numerous versions of drying the bunny in the oven. Esp. around Easter!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
One of my favorites quoted below;

On July 20, 1969, commander of the Apollo 11 Lunar Module, Neil Armstrong was the first person to set foot on the moon. His first words after stepping on the moon, "That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind", were televised to Earth and heard by millions. But just before he re-entered the lander, he made the enigmatic remark:

"Good luck, Mr. Gorsky." Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs. Over the years many people questioned Armstrong as to what the "Good luck Mr. Gorsky" statement meant, but Armstrong always just smiled. On July 5, 1995, in Tampa Bay, Florida, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26 year old question to Armstrong. This time he finally responded. Mr. Gorsky had died and so Neil Armstrong felt he could answer the question.

In 1938 when he was a kid in a small Midwest town, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit a fly ball, which landed in his neighbor’s yard by the bedroom windows. His neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky.

As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky. "Sex! You want sex?! You’ll get sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"

But.....is it true?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Nice one. I can't believe it's true, so I'd say myth.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia

I remember hearing this one, and Neil Armstrong's reply was actually that he only heard about it in 1995 and the NASA tapes confirm that he never said it.

Since we are talking about the Moon landings, here's another about Armstrong.

"When Neil Armstrong and co. walked on the moon, they heard sounds in a strange language they did not understand. ‘When Neil Armstrong went to Egypt, he heard the adhan, and said, “it was spacey something similar I heard while I was on the moon". Egyptian Friend told him that, it was the sound of Azaan (call for Muslim prayer). And Neil Armstrong immediately became Muslim because of this experience."

I can tell you that this was reported in the Malaysian news papers, I have a clipping someone gave me.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Winnebago, manufacturer of RV/Mobile Homes were sued by a woman who went off the road while driving.
She had set the cruise control and went back in the vehicle to make coffee. She won and got both money and a new RV from Winnebago.

Myth or fact?
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #12
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
I remember hearing this one, and Neil Armstrong's reply was actually that he only heard about it in 1995 and the NASA tapes confirm that he never said it.
Darn, I really wanted that one to be true!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
Winnebago, manufacturer of RV/Mobile Homes were sued by a woman who went off the road while driving.
She had set the cruise control and went back in the vehicle to make coffee. She won and got both money and a new RV from Winnebago.

Myth or fact?
I heard she wasn't making coffee but had gone in the back to see her poodle, which she was drying in the oven, was done.

Part of me wants to say true, but I'm pretty sure it'll be false since. On the other hand there has to be a reason Superman halloween costumes all say "Wearing of this costume does not allow the wearer to fly."
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #13
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Winnebago:
Actually, she was taking a nap.

To be honest I've heard that the story is "confirmed" and also that it is an "Urban Legend". This link indicates that it is urband legend.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #14
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
Winnebago:
Actually, she was taking a nap.

To be honest I've heard that the story is "confirmed" and also that it is an "Urban Legend". This link indicates that it is urband legend.
I have heard that one to many times for it to be fact, in one version it was an ethnic minority, in another an old man, and an old woman in another. My favorite was when the husband went into the back to have lunch with his wife.

On a related note, when I was younger and much much dumber, I fell asleep with the cruse on, I woke in the ditch doing 120 km/h. Not the best moment in my life, but I managed to cheat Darwin
Old 04-21-2011, 05:24 AM   #15
orlok
Close to the Edit!

A couple checked into a hotel and have to put up with a foul odor in their room all night. They call the staff to complain and somebody figures out the stench is coming from the bed. When the staff take off the matress they discover the couple has been sleeping over the rotting body of a dead girl who had been stuffed in the box spring.

Truth or legend?