Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #16
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BL3P47Y

BTW, this is a Hatchette book, so I'm a little confused as to why this is discounted considering the war that's going on between Amazon and Hatchette.
Because it's a publisher discount; it's on sale at Kobo as well.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #17
specficwriter
Groupie
specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - CS Lewis.

$1.99 US

http://www.amazon.com/Lion-Witch-War...dp/B001I45UFC/

Great book.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:00 AM   #18
jshoughton
Enthusiast
jshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipsejshoughton can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony Reader Wifi (PRS-T1) & Nook Simple Touch
Short Story: Sad Kapteyn, by Alastair Reynolds

A bit of a different one. Queen Mary University of London has commissioned a short story, written by British Sci-Fi author Alastair Reynolds.

According to the website:

"Kapteyn's star is a very peculiar star in the Solar neighborhood, so the team asked science fiction writer Alastair Reynolds for a short fictional story about this discovery."

Although it's not available in eBook format, it is a very short piece contained on the website. Thought some of you guys may be interested

Ancient worlds around Kapteyn's star

Last edited by jshoughton; 06-05-2014 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Spelling error in subject
Old 06-05-2014, 05:02 AM   #19
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Cute! Thanks!
Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #20
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshoughton View Post
A bit of a different one. Queen Mary University of London has commissioned a short story, written by British Sci-Fi author Alastair Reynolds.

According to the website:

"Kapteyn's star is a very peculiar star in the Solar neighborhood, so the team asked science fiction writer Alastair Reynolds for a short fictional story about this discovery."

Although it's not available in eBook format, it is a very short piece contained on the website. Thought some of you guys may be interested

Ancient worlds around Kapteyn's star
Very interested. I was just reading tonight on some news site or other, about the worlds that orbit Kapteyn's Star. Apparently the "earthlike" world is around 11.5Bn years old. (http://www.sci-news.com/astronomy/sc...tar-01965.html)
Old 06-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
A couple of repeat L. Ron Hubbard freebies...

The Invaders Plan: Mission Earth Volume 1
I tried reading this. It's way way way overpriced at free. That's how bad it is.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #22
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I tried reading this. It's way way way overpriced at free. That's how bad it is.
I've always found it interesting that L. Ron has been more prolific since he's died...
Old 06-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I've always found it interesting that L. Ron has been more prolific since he's died...
That massive drek of a series was written before he died.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #24
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
A freebie short Heart's Fire by Sarah A. Hoyt

When a priceless magical jewel is stolen, Ausenda, who has no magical power, has to track it down before the thief uses the jewel for some unspeakable crime.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KRPX8WU/
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00KRPX8WU/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KRPX8WU/

Still free (first in series) Draw One in the Dark (Shifter Book 1)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00APAD6J2/
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00APAD6J2/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00APAD6J2/
Old 06-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #25
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Five of the first six Chung Kuo recast series by David Wingrove are on sale at Amazon today for $1.99, book 4 is inexplicably unavailable in a Kindle edition. Kobo has all of them available, all couponable, book 4 is $3.79.

From what I can tell, the Chung Kuo series was originally a 8 book door-stopper series from the 80s/90s about of China triumphant dystopia that people either loved or hated, but I never got around to reading. Supposedly, Wingrove's publisher rushed the end of the series, too.

Chung Kuo recast is a rewritten version of the earlier eight-book "Chung Kuo" series. It is intended to run to twenty volumes and is not the same series. Story is being rewritten and two extra prequel books are added to this new series. Supposedly the series will be finished in 2015.

I'm really on the fence on this one, since I'm not sure I want to start a 20 volume series that people either seem to love or hate, especially when the consensus seems to be that the original series definitely went downhill towards the end. Maybe I should start a discussion over in the Recommendations forum.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #26
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I've heard that these Chung Kuo series are very good.

I'd like to get the original ones - which I used to see in paperback all over the place.

Has anyone else read these - the old and/or the new ones?
Old 06-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #27
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I guess there are already a couple of threads on this over at the reading recommendations forum:

Chung Kuo recast

Chung Kuo original series

As I alluded to earlier, for the original series, the publisher told Wingrove that they weren't going to publish any more in the series, so the final novel or two were a poor attempt to wrap it up, and many fans of the series hated it.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 06-07-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #28
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Five of the first six Chung Kuo recast series by David Wingrove are on sale at Amazon today for $1.99, book 4 is inexplicably unavailable in a Kindle edition. Kobo has all of them available, all couponable, book 4 is $3.79.

From what I can tell, the Chung Kuo series was originally a 8 book door-stopper series from the 80s/90s about of China triumphant dystopia that people either loved or hated, but I never got around to reading. Supposedly, Wingrove's publisher rushed the end of the series, too.

Chung Kuo recast is a rewritten version of the earlier eight-book "Chung Kuo" series. It is intended to run to twenty volumes and is not the same series. Story is being rewritten and two extra prequel books are added to this new series. Supposedly the series will be finished in 2015.

I'm really on the fence on this one, since I'm not sure I want to start a 20 volume series that people either seem to love or hate, especially when the consensus seems to be that the original series definitely went downhill towards the end. Maybe I should start a discussion over in the Recommendations forum.

Book 4 is available in the UK alone or as a 2-volume omnibus (at about the same price, IIRC).

I actually have book 4, from when it was available at one time (perhaps by accident) and #1, but haven't read them yet.

This is also the "recasting" of the series (with #1 of the original series at #3, I think, and the other 4 not from the original series).
Old 06-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #29
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
A fair number of Robin Hobb's books have been discounted on Amazon UK in advance of the next book in the Fitz/Fool series. The first book in each trilogy is £1.99, the second is £2.99 and the third is £3.99. Except for the most recent series where the first two are £2.99 and the second two are £3.99.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Assassins-Ap...rds=Robin+Hobb

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fools-Errand...rds=Robin+Hobb

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ship-Magic-L...rds=Robin+Hobb

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Keepe...rds=Robin+Hobb
Old 06-09-2014, 04:38 AM   #30
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Today's Kindle Science Fiction & Fantasy Daily Deal for the US...

Today only, start a new science fiction & fantasy series for $1.99 each.

56 titles available...
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link...d_i=1000677541
Closed Thread