Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Kobo vs Nook

Hi all!

I have been using my BB Storm with Mobipocket so far to read my ebooks. I actually love using it, but recently I (or my 1 year old actually) cracked my screen and it bothers me quite a bit now. It is actually cheaper to buy a ereader than paying somebody to fix it or buying a new one.

First off, I am in Canada, so the extra features on the Nook like wifi and 3g would be pointless. I would also never use the mp3 player as I use podtrapper on my phone for audiobooks or my zen.

I own 100's of ebooks already. Some are from Kobo in epub format, some are mobi (from amazon), some I have had for years and would use calibre to convert them. I want an ereader that will keep all of my files in one place. I don't want to have to go back and forth between different folders (unless it is for authors or series), and I want all of my covers to show up while looking through my library. I am told the Nook will be able to do this if I root it? It looks pretty easy (I have done a few different phones etc...), but I wonder how many people have bricked their Nooks, or is it as straight forward as it seems? also, would the Kobo do as I mentioned above?

Things I like about the Kobo:

- small and lightweight
- available here in Canada
- maybe will show all of my books (in epub format) in my library with covers, even ones not bought via kobo.com
- syncs to BB, although I read here it doesn't to storm yet (?)

Things I like about the Nook

- colour cover flow (but won't work with the books I have now unless I soft root it?)
- touchscreen (is just the cover flow area, right?)
- has page turn buttons on either side of screen

I am going to the US this weekend, so I could pick up a Nook while there (or a Kobo and get the giftcard).

Thanks, any info is appreciated!
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
for the Nook, the touchscreen is for your navigation as well as the cover flow

the nook also has page turning with the touchscreen (when it goes dark) using the finger swipe.

Cover flow does only work with books bought through BN but it does still show color book covers on books bought elsewhere. and yes you can buy Books from Kobo bookstore as well. and there are ways around the whole US Canada thing.

So you can shop and read anywhere with the Nook as you can the Kobo, both support e-Pub and with a work around you can also buy books wirelessly from BN.

I love the nook

Last edited by boswd; 07-28-2010 at 12:39 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... wifi and 3g would be pointless ...

Really? You don't go to your local large bookstore every couple of weeks? None of your favorite restaurants or municipalities offer free WiFi? (Just asking out loud ... )

>> ... would the Kobo do as I mentioned above?

You are a more sophisticated eReader than I am. I just know that when I turn on my Kobo, a list of all my books on the device are there alphabetically ... and when I go to the DOCS page, all my files I have loaded onto my SD card are there alphabetically. Others here will address this for you!

>> ... syncs to BB, although I read here it doesn't to storm yet ...

Please view / search the Kobo forum - there's a particular model/series of Blackberry that is "at fault" regarding Bluetooth connectivity.

>> ... Nook's colour cover flow ... touchscreen ...

Ahh, yes - those battery-eating features ... (grin)

>> ... Nook ... page turn buttons on either side of screen ...

I thought that I, as a left-handed person the past 50+ years, would find my Kobo "lacking" when it came to this feature. I see my wife using her Kindle2 with either hand ... But to be honest with you, the Kobo is just fine me.

>> ... Nook's faster page turns ...

Yes, if you sit there wil a stopwatch, there are more milliseconds in a Kobo page turn than with some other eReaders. But in reality - while doing something unique like READING a book - you get into a "flow" and find your eyes moving ahead on that last line of text on the bottom of the page ... push the button ... and easily flow to the next page.

It is different comparing two eReaders' page turning capabilities when sitting them side-by-side on a table and just measuring the page turning time. But I can easily and without irritation read books on either a Kindle2 or a Kobo.

You don't need Nook's connectivity ... and you'll appreciate the lighter weight of the Kobo. Nook has a easy-to-replace battery - cost right now is US$29.95. For half that amount, I have a Square Trade warranty for three years, which will cover a battery replacement, if I need it.

Long live Kobo.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
kingduct
Enthusiast
kingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litter

Device: none
recently went through same process

Hi, I recently went through the same comparison, which you can see on another thread here. A couple of notes that you may find relevant (since you have fairly similar criteria to mine):

1) The screen is slightly better on the Nook.
2) The battery life is much better on the Kobo (though compared to a cell phone or computer both have excellent battery life)
3) The Kobo is much lighter than the Nook.
4) I found the Nook touch screen interface for navigating books and your library to be awkward, whereas the simple Kobo menus were very easy.
5) I like that the Nook has the 2 page turn buttons (one on each side). I find my right thumb tires a little with the Kobo and wish I could use my left thumb for a while (actually, I have found a method of holding that lets me do so, but it isn't great).

I think that for me it was basically a tie. Since I don't plan to buy books, but instead will get public domain and library books, I got the Kobo. Were I planning to buy them, I'd get the Nook, but from what you say, the Nook's built-in book buying features don't work in Canada, so that's irrelevant.

If I were you, I'd probably get the Kobo, just because support will be slightly easier for you to get. However, either one would be a good choice.
kingduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Thanks for all the replies!

Clint, I don't actually go to our local Chapters (our big bookstore, about 25 mins away) very often. I have two little ones and believe me, I have taken them into the bookstore a few times, and I usually leave stressed out! I am actually out in the country, so we don't have a lot of wifi around. If I'm out and about and I want to browse the web, I would just use my phone.

I did do a search about BB syncing, but there seems to be conflicting answers. :/

I don't care at all about page turns. If I said it, I don't know why I did. The difference is milliseconds difference, nothing I would care about.

Kingduct, I guess I can somehow buy books with the Nook in Canada, but I don't know how. I searched for the answer, and some people say yes, and some say no.

The way things stand right now I am leaning towards the Kobo. I haven't actually touched/seen a Nook in person, so that could change. If the Nook came with organization like the softroot, I would like it more.
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... leaning towards the Kobo. I haven't actually touched/seen a Nook in person ...

The Nook is noticeably heavier. Its touch screen implementation is touchy.

Even if I were purchasing anew today, I truly believe I'd go with a Kobo - but that is a conscious decision to NOT be "connected" ... because I know I'd be messing around with connectivity. I am enjoying READING BOOKS on my Kobo.

At this point in time, just go out and get something so that you can play with it and start using for the weekend! Either unit will prove to be an enjoyable experience. Will something "better" happen in three months with a new model? Probably. Will Borders drop the retail price of the Kobo a little bit in a month or two - or quadruple our Rewards points?? Probably. But get one NOW and start ENJOYING!
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
twistedsteel76
twistedsteel76 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Had a Kobo first. Drove to Buffalo to look at a Nook, bought one on the spot. Returned the Kobo. For the same pricepoint the Kobo is an inferior product.

The screen is vastly better on the Nook, trust me. Go hold the two untis side by sidee if you get a chance. Anyone with half decent eyesight will admit the Nook puts Kobo to shame.

I personally can deal with the shorter battery life of the Nook and was happy when I saw that a wall charger adapter was included with the purchase rather than having to spend money on a third party product. I hate charging through usb via computer.

I bought it purely for reading and could do without the wi-fi ( I honestly never use it). I mainly chose the Nook over the Kobo because it is a more polished product. For the same price the decision was no-brainer for me.

JMO
twistedsteel76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Here's a thread from a Canadian with a nook on buying from the B&N store. There is a certain amount of hoop-jumping involved.

Frankly, if all you want is a simple reader, then the Kobo sounds good enough for that, especially if you're not planning to use the nook's wi-fi or other special features.

And you can get support for it in Canada.

Perhaps the best thing is to try both out during your weekend trip if you can, and see if there's anything in particular about each that really appeals to or bothers you.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
Grierson Huffman
Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Too many!
I prefer the nook (for its superior screen and other virtues), but if I were Canadian I would consider the Kobo.
Grierson Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
People always like their device better and since most of them don't own the other device, their opinion can be biased and misinformed. If you want unbiased data, please go to the individual "Nook" and "Kobo" threads in this board. You will find all your answers in battery life, user interface, firmware update, searching/downloading/managing books. All the compliants, user problems, advantages and disadvantages are out there in these two threads for you to make an educated decision.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #11
Care
Aes Sedai

Wow, thanks again for all the info! ATDrake, I will check that thread out.

Another question, I just realized that when reading a book on the kobo it doesn't show the page number. It shows the page you of the chapter you are on, but not where you are in the whole book. IE: My phone shows me a bar at the bottom of each page that tells me whereI am in the book, it also tells me I'm on page 127 out of 500. The kobo tells you that you are on page 2 of 11 of chapter 3.

I don't mean to be nitpicking, but I read 3 or more books a week and I like to know where exactly in a book I am.

Also, I know both the Nook and kobo bookmark the spot you left off at, but can you make bookmarks to go back to later?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #12
kingduct
Enthusiast
kingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litter

Device: none
small answers

The Kobo only seems to show the page within the chapter as you described. I really wish it would tell me how far along in the book I am. I do hope they update the firmware with that.

It does not seem to allow old bookmarks, another negative. I think the fact that it is so easy to use is related to its lack of features. I don't know if the Nook allows bookmarks, but it does let you search for words, which I can definitely see being handy at times.
kingduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #13
Care
Aes Sedai

My phone lets me search for words which is great. I could see myself using that feature quite a bit.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
The Nook shows what page you are in the entire book and also has a progress bar. The Nook lets you search for a word in the book. The Nook allows you to go to the chapter, specific page, previous bookmarks (more than 1) and the furthest read.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #15
Care
Aes Sedai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
The Nook shows what page you are in the entire book and also has a progress bar. The Nook lets you search for a word in the book. The Nook allows you to go to the chapter, specific page, previous bookmarks (more than 1) and the furthest read.
Ah now see, you are tempting me back to the Nook!