Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
ohskigod
ohskigod began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300
sony reader 3.2 not working on my mac

this actually isnt my reader, its my wife and i am trying to help her.

she recently updated her reader software to 3.2, and ever since it hasnt worked right.

the reader library software shows as being open in the dock bar, but there is no window for the program. a menu bar shows at the top but it only says reader library next to the apple symbol with no other menu options.

anyone have any idea on this. did a search and couldnt find anything. I just want my wife to be able to download books and read them. shame on me for going the sony route.
ohskigod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
I had this problem. Try searching out all the various Sony preferences (look both in ~/Library/... and also in /System/Library/... (I'm afraid I don't remember exact directories, and I'm at my work PC right now [sigh]). Delete all the various preferences, then re-install. There is a thread somewhere in this topic that gives exact locations, though.

Fixed my problem.

I find it's generally best to use the Sony software ONLY for purchasing books from Sony. For all other interaction with my Sony Reader I use Calibre instead. It's faster, more reliable, provides more functionality, works better, etc. Overall, Calibre makes the Sony Library software look thoroughly pathetic, with two exceptions:
  1. Sony's graphic design is better. Calibre looks like it was designed by programmers.
  2. Sony's software can buy books from the Sony store. Calibre can't.
In all other ways, Calibre kicks their *ss!

Xenophon

Last edited by Xenophon; 06-24-2010 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added note about Calibre.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert