Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
VivianJ5
VivianJ5 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, IRex DR800S
Question My DR800S skips pages with flip bar and stylus!!

Hi all,

I've had a Sony PRS-505 for over a year now, and love it, but have just moved on to the IREX DR800S (yes, I currently live in Europe!). I downloaded the new software, and all seemed to be working fine.

BUT, when I go to turn a page (mainly in EPUB) with both the flip bar, or the stylus, it skips ahead a page. I think I understand what is happening: with the "medium" font (need for my middle-aged eyes!), the "book" page usually spreads over two pages of the reader screen. The ereader turn jumps ahead to the next "book" page, and skips right over the second screen of the previous "book" page. I hope I'm making sense.

For example, if I'm reading page 130 of the book, the flip bar will go straight to page 131, instead of the second screen of page 130. I can access the second screen of the previous page by then pushing the flip-bar to the left, but this means I must 1) push the bar to the right once, 2) push the bar to the left once, and then 3) wait for the "wait" screen (with flashing green) to clear (usually between 3-5 seconds). (In PDF, usually goes to the page continuation, but the "Please wait" screen can take a long time...). In books where the book pages are small (one screen each), it doesn't skip pages, but the "please wait" box appears almost every turn. Ugh!!

REALLY annoying, as you can imagine, especially since this didn't happen in the Sony, and since I purchased the IREX specifically to have fewer page turns. If anyone has any ideas what I can do, or if this has already been discussed (I looked but didn't find anything), I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
Vivian
VivianJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianJ5 View Post
BUT, when I go to turn a page (mainly in EPUB) with both the flip bar, or the stylus, it skips ahead a page. I think I understand what is happening: with the "medium" font (need for my middle-aged eyes!), the "book" page usually spreads over two pages of the reader screen. The ereader turn jumps ahead to the next "book" page, and skips right over the second screen of the previous "book" page. I hope I'm making sense.
Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. I don't read ePub's often, but I know this worked correctly with the original firmware. For example, if there were two screens for each page, turning would go 1-1-2-2-3-3-4-4... etc.

Maybe there's a bug in the new firmware that doesn't turn right in the case where an ePub has been reflowed so that page counts and screen sizes are not 1:1. I haven't tried an ePub since the beta came out. Most of my content is PDF.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
VivianJ5

Thanks for the reply, Shaggy. Maybe I'll have to go back to the original firmware. Either that or convert all my epubs to PDFs in Calibre. Although I'd much rather just find a solution...I really enjoy my DR800, but the page turn thing just disrupts the reading so much...
Old 06-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
I don't experience this problem. Depending on the selected font size, on my DR800, a pageflip shows the next part of page 130 (in your example). Does this happen to all your epubs? There could be something with the layout of the epub you're reading at the moment. Could you post an example that shows this behaviour?
PS In the original firmware the page numbers were shown on the far right side of the display. In the new firmware (RC2) these pagenumbers or not shown anymore.
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
VivianJ5

Thanks, Pauli, for your comments. I think I figured out the issue. What I thought was a Epub file was actually a PDF. And I think maybe it was formatted for my Sony PRS-505? Anyway, I converted the book into epub in Calibre, but formatted for the DR800, and, lo and behold, problem solved. I'm not sure what exactly was causing the issue (since I thought PDFs were the best format for the DR800), but maybe I set something up incorrectly. I'm still learning the best ways to use this new (to me!) ereader.

Thanks for your help; I'm enjoying my Irex DR800S more every day...!
Vivian
Advert

Tags
dr800, flip bar, irex, page turns, skips