Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #31
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Not the Stylz cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqncigars View Post
My white EZ has started to peel a bit on a couple of places near the left page buttons as well as on the right edge, but it doesn't bother me enough to send it in. I got it in November, IIRC. I hope it wasn't brought on by the Stylz cover.

Wayne
Dear Wayne:

I was one of the very first to buy the Stylz cover. I have had it on my Pocket PRO every day for four months. Never a problem.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #32
ashdragon
ashdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader 5" Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Yes, they just changed the inside lining. The outside is unchanged!

It is a very good case and for FREE it is even better!
So does the change in colour of the inside lining have any correlation with the Paint problems experienced in earlier batches? There was some mention of the oil in the leather reacting with the paint IIRC in one of the other paint problem threads and i just wonder if that was the reason for the change in linings?
The issue with my Blue one doesn't seem to be getting any worse but i imagine over time the paint will start to peel off from where it is wrinkled.
ashdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #33
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Ok, thanks. So I guess that means that the cream cases don't necessarily mean they'll have trouble with paint.
Now I am confused Which is the older case, gray or cream? Mine is cream, and I bought it after Robert announced that all the paint problems were fixed. It is a white PP, and no paint problems so far.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #34
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Now I am confused Which is the older case, gray or cream? Mine is cream, and I bought it after Robert announced that all the paint problems were fixed. It is a white PP, and no paint problems so far.
My case (first month) is cream inside. My First PEz blistered within a week. My second began peeling in 2 weeks, I completed the peel over time (since the one I had worked )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #35
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The cream color is the new case.

Quote:
Dear Jusmee:

The gray is the newer case. However, after alll this time, neither case should present a problem.

Last edited by Robertb; 04-07-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #36
ashdragon
ashdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader 5" Pocket Pro
Quote:
Dear Jusmee:

The cream is the newer case. However, after alll this time, neither case should present a problem.
Hmm, well that blows my theory out of the water, i figured the cream was the older case seeing out of the 5 I ordered I have the only cream case and the only one of the 5 to experience a problem with the paint is mine!!
ashdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #37
Robertb

Sorry... Gray is the newer case

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdragon View Post
Hmm, well that blows my theory out of the water, i figured the cream was the older case seeing out of the 5 I ordered I have the only cream case and the only one of the 5 to experience a problem with the paint is mine!!
Dear Ashdragon:

Sorry. My PM corrected me. Gray is the new one.

However, the problem was with the chemical (gas emitting) in the original cream. That is now long gone. It now should make zero difference which one you have.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #38
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
They may be using cream again as a recent exchange came with one. Which is fine with me as the grey one I have here has a sticky feeling to the cover and the interior is meh. The new (old?) cream one is much more refined looking, nicer embossing, etc.

That said, I have a Stylz as well.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #39
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Dear Jusmee:

The gray is the newer case.
How can that be? You assured us in this forum at one point, that all PP being sold were now new stock, so I ordered mine, and here you tell me I got an old one!

So the only reason for my lack of paint problems is probably that mine does NOT spend much time at all in the case. Just as well, or you would have an extrememly unhappy customer!!!
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:04 AM   #40
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I have a cream cover and my reader is fine. No peeling. I have taken it out of the case less than half a dozen times, usually because I had to access the reset button.

I think the cream cover combined with the earlier batches might be the problem. The cream cover is obviously okay with the later batches. The finish feels different on this one than the ones that peeled--it's harder.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #41
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
I have a cream cover and my reader is fine. No peeling. I have taken it out of the case less than half a dozen times, usually because I had to access the reset button.

I think the cream cover combined with the earlier batches might be the problem. The cream cover is obviously okay with the later batches. The finish feels different on this one than the ones that peeled--it's harder.
Yeah, on the unit I have which is peeling now, as I type this, the outer paint seems to have an almost kind of slightly tacky rubbery texture. When it peels away, the undercoat is harder and smoother.

The BACK of the unit, where it touches the cover constantly, is kind of a mess. I just noticed that this morning when I briefly slid it out of the cover. Its not peeling on the back as much as it is consistently distressed and discolored.

I've emailed support and hopefully will get this resolved. Any doubts I had about sending this back for exchange are gone now after seeing the back.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #42
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
So the only reason for my lack of paint problems is probably that mine does NOT spend much time at all in the case.
I am not at all convinced that the cover has anything at all to do with it, as my blue PocketPRO is now peeling on the right hand edge that is never in contact with the cover. OTOH, the front where it contacts the cover whenever it is closed has lost almost all of it's paint, so maybe there is a cover issue. The back looks like an escapee from a leper colony.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #43
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
All three units that I have had (all the blue) have had a soft-touch coating. However, on the first two, which peeled, the coating felt mushier and thicker than the coating on the third unit, which is still perfect nearly six months later. I use the reader daily.

I used to have the same problem when I used nail polish that had started to dry out, or if I put it on too thick. Takes too long to cure, and it peeled more easily; and each coat felt thicker.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #44
Robertb

New Stock

Quote:
How can that be? You assured us in this forum at one point, that all PP being sold were now new stock, so I ordered mine, and here you tell me I got an old one!

So the only reason for my lack of paint problems is probably that mine does NOT spend much time at all in the case. Just as well, or you would have an extrememly unhappy customer!!!
Dear Jusmee:

They are new stock. The case change was made on about our third order. This was after they had already changed the paint base to allevate the problem. After they changed the paint base they changed the case lining. Now, it makes no difference on the case as the "gas" from the liner is long gone. This was only a problem on the first batch paint which, if you were here when we first started selling Pocket PROs, was rushed out with a different paint to get them on the market pronto. We had done a pre-order on the Pocket PRO before release and people were getting worried about getting what they had already paid for. So, they rushed that first shipment with paint that reacted to the lining.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #45
Robertb

Correct, Maggie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post

Dear Maggie:

Yes, they did a paint base change before they got out the new lined cases. It is indeed harder and has a different feel.

Maggie was here from the start of the Pocket PRO and can remember the mad scramble to solve the problem. First they changed the paint base and then, to be doubly sure, they changed out the liner!