Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 09-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Mobi, LIT and epub and upgrading OS/new hard drive

MOBI:
I don't remember what the Mobi PID is based on. Next month I'll be adding a new hard drive and installing Windows 7. I'm going to keep my Win XP hard drive around for a bit (dual boot) but eventually be Win 7 only. Is there a way to keep my same PID on my new install? I know that as long as I keep track of my current PID I can continue to convert them so its not a huge deal but was just wondering if it is possible to keep my current PID.

LIT:
I just have to know/find/remember my MS login or something, right? And then activate it under my Win 7 install?

EPUB:
Same as lit but thru Adobe, right?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
MOBI:
I don't remember what the Mobi PID is based on. Next month I'll be adding a new hard drive and installing Windows 7. I'm going to keep my Win XP hard drive around for a bit (dual boot) but eventually be Win 7 only. Is there a way to keep my same PID on my new install? I know that as long as I keep track of my current PID I can continue to convert them so its not a huge deal but was just wondering if it is possible to keep my current PID.
Not sure, but I think the PID is randomly assigned when the Mobi software is installed. I'm no expert though.

Quote:
LIT:
I just have to know/find/remember my MS login or something, right? And then activate it under my Win 7 install?
As long as you haven't reached your authorization limit, 6 I think.

Quote:
EPUB:
Same as lit but thru Adobe, right?
Yep
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 05:02 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Not sure, but I think the PID is randomly assigned when the Mobi software is installed. I'm no expert though.
I believe that, on a PC, it's based on the MAC address of your network card. Reinstalling, either Windows or Mobi, doesn't change the PID.

Quote:
As long as you haven't reached your authorization limit, 6 I think.
Four. But you can remove old unused PIDs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe that, on a PC, it's based on the MAC address of your network card. Reinstalling, either Windows or Mobi, doesn't change the PID.
Well, according to this thread, the PID is based on the hard drive serial number, so since my Win 7 install is going to be on a second hard drive, it will have a separate PID generated.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Four. But you can remove old unused PIDs.
I think when he said 6 he was talking about LIT/Ms Reader PC activations, not Mobi.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert