Notices

Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
Derek R
Zealot
Derek R began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cannot get thumbnail cover image to display

Hello,

I have just discovered Sigil (5.2) and it has been an absolute boon to me. It is an excellent resource. However, I have just been using it to try to edit an epub that I previously made 'by hand' and cannot get the cover thumbnail image to display in iPad, even though the validation process threw up no problems. I am sure that I have missed some obvious mistake in the OPF file, but I can't see it.

I am attaching the said file in the hope that some kind soul out there might look at it and be able to tell me where I have gone wrong.

Many thanks
Attached Files
File Type: epub FairyLegendsIreland.epub (2.82 MB, 283 views)
Derek R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I assume you mean iBooks and not iPad. The iBooks program does not support ePUB that well and use covers differently compared to other readers. I believe it has something with the order of the files. There are some posts around here about it. The search function should help you.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
I noticed you have the cover html file marked as cover, but not the image. Try right clicking on the image and use Add Semantic -> Cover for the cover image.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
Derek R
Zealot

Mysteriously fixed

Thank you Toxaris and meme. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I created another epub yesterday via Sigil and when I added it to the iTunes book library on my PC the cover thumbnail showed up without a problem. I have just added this book to it and the cover thumbnail did not display. However, when I loaded it into the iBooks app the thumbnail appeared without a problem.

I wasn't aware of the 'Add Semantic' function for covers, meme, so that will prove useful. I'll try that now to see what happens when I load the book into iTunes.

Many thanks!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #5
Derek R
Zealot

P.S. Add Semantics

BTW, meme, I did as you suggested and the cover thumbnail showed up in the book section of the iTune library.

Thank you very much for your help.
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Note that the ePub specification says nothing about covers, so each reading program and device makes its own assumptions, and what works somewhere might not work elsewhere.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
Derek R
Zealot

Yes, I know - it's a bit of a pain trying to cope with the idiosyncrasies of all the different devices - you can't please all the devices all of the time - that's why I generally try to keep code as simple as possible when creating ebooks.

Thank you all again for your responses.