Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
reyes
reyes began at the beginning.

Device: kobo orig
Just Bricked my original kobo

hi all, i need some help or ideas on what to do next (if anything is possible) with my original kobo.

i received the unit as a gift for christmas this year however i have been unable to use it at all.

first it would be stuck on the ereading anytime anyplace screen with the loading boxes on an endless cycle, unable to make any contact with my windows 7 machine.

i read about upgrade mode and upgrading firmware through the external sd slot with a specially formatted linux partition.

when put into upgrade mode (hold menu while powering on) it went through the cycle, when it was time to connect to pc it was actually recognized! but it never copied any upgrade files. when unplugged it said it was performing upgrades but after it rebooted itself it was back to being stuck on the ereading anytime anyplace screen.

so i decide to try the upgrade via ext3 formatted sd with the firmware 1.4 files untared directly to the sd card (cannot locate any newer version) when i put the sd card into the kobo and tried to boot off it, it would get to the 5 solid blocks and stay that way for hours.

here's where the bricking comes in... after messing with the kobo for 2 days now i took to the internal sd card using the same method as the external.

currently the internal sd card is formatted in ext3 with nothing on it, as the upgrade this way did not work.

now should i have used a different format for the internal sd? maybe ext2. i have ruined all original partitions on the card maybe someone here has taken an image of the original content on the sd card?

if not is there anything that can be done with this, say maybe cool-er firmware? im willing to try anything that would make the device functional

thank you
reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
The Cod Father
Enthusiast
The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: KOBO. Kobo Aura
I have had similar problems with my 1 gen unit freezing and after getting frustrated I just contacted KOBO directly and they were willing to replace it with a new ( referbished ) unit .

TCF
The Cod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
this is good for you!
Now you got an excuse to buy a new one!
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bricked, firmware, kobo