Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-14-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
Ancalagon
Ancalagon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which one?

First of all, sorry about my english. I'm here to ask for help. I'm interested to buy a device that allow me to read e-bbok, PDF in first place. I had found 2 model that I think can be good for my intention. The fist one is iLiad of IRex. It's beautiful, and the Wacon pen ... the only thing that I dislike is battery. I had read that I can read no more than 5 or 6 hour. This is a bad point for iLiad. The good thing is that I can write notes on my pdf like chracters profile, how is how and notes. The second one is CyBook 3 (Bookeen). 300 euro, e-book reader only. But the battery? Now, what I0m searching is a device that allow me to read e-book, but I must be sure for battery. 6h is nothing in a travel in train. At least 12.

I know that iLiad us a LinuxOS, and this is e great point for this device because I LOVE linux! So, if you have some idea of what device can be good for me, I'll be greatfull to thank you.
Ancalagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
First of all, sorry about my english. I'm here to ask for help. I'm interested to buy a device that allow me to read e-bbok, PDF in first place. I had found 2 model that I think can be good for my intention. The fist one is iLiad of IRex. It's beautiful, and the Wacon pen ... the only thing that I dislike is battery. I had read that I can read no more than 5 or 6 hour. This is a bad point for iLiad. The good thing is that I can write notes on my pdf like chracters profile, how is how and notes. The second one is CyBook 3 (Bookeen). 300 euro, e-book reader only. But the battery? Now, what I0m searching is a device that allow me to read e-book, but I must be sure for battery. 6h is nothing in a travel in train. At least 12.

I know that iLiad us a LinuxOS, and this is e great point for this device because I LOVE linux! So, if you have some idea of what device can be good for me, I'll be greatfull to thank you.
If you are only interested in PDF then iLiad is the best available. The typical PDF is page oriented and needs a large screen. The iLiad has must better battery life in the new version 2 device. It will do what you want while traveling on a train.

Both iLIad and CyBook use Linux but at this time only iLiad lets you get to the OS level and do Linux things.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Sony Reader runs Linux too.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
Ancalagon

I'm interested in e-book in general but most of my manuals or book are in PDF format. I had found some page on the net where some user of iLiad say that the battery has a poor life, somethig like 5 o 6 hour. Some person say that 60% iLiad have a problem whit wiFi and suck all the battery... I happy to read that is some software for iLiad... but I'm unsure
Old 11-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
The iLiad 2.0 should at least give you 10 hours. Up to 15 if you are just reading.
WiFi works fine as long as you dont need special encryption. It works with WEP and WPA TKIP2.

And it has the largest screen available, and is the only device that can zoom into PDFs so far.

CyBook and Sony are smaller, but their battery lasts much longer. So it mainly depends on your needs
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The latest iLiad's have a larger battery, which lasts at least 10-12 hours.

Note that no current E-Ink device will read Adobe secure e-books. The Sony PRS-505 MIGHT be able to read these when the announced Adobe Digital Editions software upgrade becomes available.

Adobe's own PDF reader also no longer reads e-books, so if Adobe Reader version 8 (e.g. on Windows) can't read your documents then neither can the iLiad.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
Ancalagon

How moch life had a CyBook or a Sony reader?
Old 11-14-2007, 01:25 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
The new Sony PRS505's battery goes 2~3 weeks without a charge, I think the Cybook Gen3 is similar.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
You can measure in weeks
My CyBook is loosing about 20% battery in 24hours, if i leave the autoshutdown function off, but thats just an estimate. Havent had it long enough yet.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:29 PM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
With the autoshutdown function off and the reader on the whole time my Cybook lasted 5 days.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #11
Ancalagon

So... iLiad is a tresure, of what I had seen is beautiful. The bad thing is battery, only 10hour. I mean, is not bad, I shall not read every day 10 hours, but if I read 3 hour today and knowing that tomorrow I shall go out whit friend in a travel of 6 hour... so... CyBook3 or Sony. Now this is the question. I know where I can find CyBook3, for Sony I hadn't look yet. Between this two... why I must prefer one from another? Batteryu here isn't a problem. And now... WHICH ONE?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:18 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
So... iLiad is a tresure, of what I had seen is beautiful. The bad thing is battery, only 10hour. I mean, is not bad, I shall not read every day 10 hours, but if I read 3 hour today and knowing that tomorrow I shall go out whit friend in a travel of 6 hour... so... CyBook3 or Sony. Now this is the question. I know where I can find CyBook3, for Sony I hadn't look yet. Between this two... why I must prefer one from another? Batteryu here isn't a problem. And now... WHICH ONE?
You have already been told all of the data. You will have to decide for yourself. iLiad is more like 15 hours if you are careful by the way.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 11-14-2007 at 03:21 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:14 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Since you plan to purchase an eink based device for primarily reading PDF, then you will be very unhappy with both the 505 and the Gen3. The 6" screen is not all that good for PDF reading without using a program such as pdflrf to enhance the PDF. The iLiad is really your only choice.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:00 AM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
The battery problems you heard about on the iLiad (5-6 hours) were fixed with a software patch. The wifi was turning on when it should not.

I get about 12 hours per charge with my first version iLiad (old, smaller battery). I think 15 hours with the new battery is a good estimate. If you want to be able to make notes on your PDFs you really need the iLiad.

If you want to see what the screens will look like, try cutting holes in cardboard to match the screen size. Put the hole over an A4 page. This is how much text you will be able to see. Try photocopying the page to reduce size until it fits the rectangle. Are you happy with the result? If so, you can buy that size screen.

The iLiad has the best support for PDF right now, with zoom, pan, and continuous pages, and the largest screen.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:51 AM   #15
Ancalagon

I had think about it... and is true. I'm a little afraid about battery of iLiad but CyBook and SonyReader have both a small display. So, I shall buy an iLiad. I'm almost sure but I have some question about take notes and other things.

1. The motes for me is a good thing because when I read a book biger than 1000 pages where I find a lots od characters I take always notes about how-is-how. So, can i jump between my e-book and notes whitout problems? I mean, I need a sort of "paper" where I write that Bob is brother of Sam, Jane is the mother of Minni. Maibe I can write it directly in the book, don't know.

2. I love reading, but I love write too, so iLiad is a good thing another time =). But, in which format the notes are saved? JPEG? Can I transfer the notes on pc and read it?

3. I really don't know if this is possible, but, can I convert my notes (handfree) in a regular font? Why this question. In a page I had seen some picture, whitout explanation, where I had seen a document on the left in handfree taken from iLiad and on the right the same word and text in arial.