Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Norton Internet suddenly blocks Mobileread

I have been using Norton Internet Security for many years. Suddenly this morning, it blocks Mobileread as a dangerous site. It has done this on both mine and my husband's laptop. I am posting this from my iPad. I am not really technical, but this has me concerned. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't feel right overriding the block manually. Thanks.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
As far as I am concerned, Norton is the thing you need to be protected against.
Spoiler:
Norton charges for what other people offer for free, and they engage in shady business practices to sneak onto your computer and into your life (manufacturer-bundled bloatware for one), I assume because they can't convince people to buy their product without resorting to scare tactics, and a few other things that offend me about that company.

MobileRead is just fine. Sometimes antiviruses trip over false positives, and some antiviruses are less reliable than others.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder if it is/was related to Possible Virus in Kobo Forum Posting
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I love Ubuntu. I love Ubuntu. I love Ubuntu.

This laptop dual-boots, but it's probably been 3 months since the last time I looked at Windows. When this one dies, I'm completely done with Windows.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #5
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

This started for me this morning and is still going on. I've ignored it to post here.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I love Ubuntu. I love Ubuntu. I love Ubuntu.

This laptop dual-boots, but it's probably been 3 months since the last time I looked at Windows. When this one dies, I'm completely done with Windows.
I love ArchLinux. I love ArchLinux. I love ArchLinux.

It's been quite a bit longer than 3 months for me, but sadly I still have to cope with fixing other peoples' Windows computers. Occasionally I can convert them.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:33 PM   #7
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Thanks all. I figured it was a false alarm.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I wonder if it is/was related to Possible Virus in Kobo Forum Posting
Yes - Norton is calling it a Trojan program "Hacktool"

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 07-13-2015 at 09:34 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:35 PM   #9
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
The best solution, assuming you are not about to fall in love with Ubuntu or ArchLinux, is to get rid of Norton's. Years ago a luddite friend of mine was running it. I don't think I ever managed to convince him that all pdf files were not viruses!
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:09 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
The best solution, assuming you are not about to fall in love with Ubuntu or ArchLinux,
NO! I am a demented command-line user, I wouldn't dare suggest Arch to anyone who wasn't a devout geek.
Ubuntu maybe, since it is after all nice to run an OS that doesn't have to worry about antiviruses and their attendant false positives and general slowdowns...

Quote:
is to get rid of Norton's. Years ago a luddite friend of mine was running it. I don't think I ever managed to convince him that all pdf files were not viruses!
Probably the best idea.
There are so many good antivirus choices out there, but I haven't seen anyone recommending Norton.

AVG, Avast, MalwareBytes (the Pro version), Panda, all those have good reputations.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:43 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Friends, don't let friends do Norton.

Mint, for that clean, minty Linux flavor
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Norton's been good to me, but I also run the pro version of MalwareBytes.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote