Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #31
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
Does anyone have a screen with a 8:5 aspect ratio (1280x800 WXGA) like the Note 8? How is it to read on compared to iPads 4:3 ratio? I still think 4:3 is the ideal form factor for reading, widescreens are for media consumption. But then again I guess people who mainly use there devices for reading are dwindling.
4:3 is the old TV form factor as well as the old CRT monitor.
It is good for reading.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #32
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I think I'll go for the galaxy note 10.1 it is the same price as the note 8.0 and will be more use to me as I already have an ipad mini.
I tried the Note 10.1 for 2 weeks and found the software for using the stylus appallingly bad (I tried all the Android apps I could find for this). Much easier to write on my iPad Mini with my adonit stylus and a wonderful app called Notes Plus.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #33
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
I tried the Note 10.1 for 2 weeks and found the software for using the stylus appallingly bad (I tried all the Android apps I could find for this). Much easier to write on my iPad Mini with my adonit stylus and a wonderful app called Notes Plus.
Interesting. I've tried the stylus on the Note II and on that device I thought it worked surprisingly well.

I went to Notes+ webpage to see what they had to say about an Android version:
Quote:
Do you have plans to port the app to another OS like Android?

We do, but not in the near future, as we’re focusing on bug fixes and usability improvements on this iOS version. It’s never a good idea to migrate the same bugs and weaknesses to another platform, so we believe Android users will benefit a lot from this wait.
Seems like a promising app will be interesting to try it out when they port it to Android.

Last edited by thinkpad; 04-01-2013 at 04:20 PM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #34
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I have to say that I'm exceedingly happy with the stylus on my Note 10.1, the handwriting recognition in S-Note is very good and the ink in LectureNotes is astounding. If you use the stylus a lot you can also set it up so it rejects any sensitivity from your palm.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #35
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I have to say that I'm exceedingly happy with the stylus on my Note 10.1, the handwriting recognition in S-Note is very good and the ink in LectureNotes is astounding. If you use the stylus a lot you can also set it up so it rejects any sensitivity from your palm.
I had the opportunity to go for a 10 inch Lenovo Tablet 2 (running full blown windows 8) but I felt it would become too big to haul around alongside the laptop. How do you like your 10 inch Note when it comes to portability Kumabjorn?
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #36
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Quote:
Well, a lot of the programs on the iPad, including Notes Plus, allow you to write in a window at the bottom of the screen that is enlarged. That way, it is easy to write a whole 8.5x11" page just as if you had written it by hand. Without that ability, you can't put very much on a page, even on a 10" screen, and it's not like writing on a piece of normal-sized paper. I also found that the choices of stationery on the Note were pretty minimal, at least on Samsung's program. True, the stylus itself writes well. The problem I found was with the software, something true of Android in many respects compared to iOS, at least in my experience.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #37
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
I had the opportunity to go for a 10 inch Lenovo Tablet 2 (running full blown windows 8) but I felt it would become too big to haul around alongside the laptop. How do you like your 10 inch Note when it comes to portability Kumabjorn?
Compared to schlepping around a laptop and textbooks it's a zinch. Everything I need during a day with the exception of a phone it can handle. I wish it had 4G then I'd just use a Bluetooth headset for phone calls. I have a leather cover that works as a stand and since the stylus can be stored internally I don't even need a rucksack, but I carry one anyway. I just think I could do the same with an 8" Note and keep it in a pocket.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #38
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
I will give your suggestion a go thanks. I have the original note and find the s-pen to be fine on that. I'd expect that the s pen with the note 10.1 would be an improvement. I am dubious about getting another android device as I've experienced stability issues with all the devices I've used.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:53 AM   #39
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:

I wish it had 4G then I'd just use a Bluetooth headset for phone calls.
I don't understand this reasoning. Explain please.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #40
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I would only need one gadget to carry around.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I would only need one gadget to carry around.
How about your car - how many gadgets there?

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #42
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Jeez - all those gadgets and they still manged to put the steering wheel on the wrong side
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #43
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

I use a bicycle, so I'm safe.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #44
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I use both an iPad and an iPad Mini - and I teach, so I have been doing a lot of 'academic' reading. In my experience, 10" is barely enough, 8" is clearly insufficient.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I use a bicycle, so I'm safe.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote