Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Question Sony Software Under Ubuntu

I recently unplugged my last Windows box at home. I am all Ubuntu. I was hoping that the Sony software would run in a virtual machine running XP. I downloaded the software from the the Sony site. It installed OK but won't run. I launch it and nothing happens. I tried downloading and installing a second time. Same result.

Has anyone gotten the Sony software to run under Linux either in a VM or Wine?
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I run it in XP using VirtualBox on OSX without needing to do anything special...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Try adding the program to XP's DEP exclusion list.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Try adding the program to XP's DEP exclusion list.
Didn't have any effect. I'm running Virtual Box with Ubuntu 8.10 as the host. Any other ideas??

Norm
Old 08-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #5
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Have you tried using Calibre instead? It handles my PRS505 beautifully.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithno View Post
Didn't have any effect. I'm running Virtual Box with Ubuntu 8.10 as the host. Any other ideas??

Norm
Have you tried VMWARE SERVER? It's one of the best virtualization softwares and it's free.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
smithno
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediax View Post
Have you tried using Calibre instead? It handles my PRS505 beautifully.
I use Calibre. I can't buy books from the Sony Store without the software. I don't buy a lot of books from them, but now I can buy none.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:57 AM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
the OSE version of Virtualbox, which is the version in the ubuntu repository, does not support the use of USB. There is another version, available direct from the official Virtualbox website, that includes parts that are closed source, that has USB support.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:05 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You shouldn't need USB just use Adobe Digital Editions or the SONY software in windows to download your books. Add them to calibre and use it to send to the reader.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kovid, will Calibre work with transfering DRM'ed books? I know it can actually get the files on there, just don't know about having the books then recognize the device
Old 08-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Depends on the DRM scheme, I believe it works for DRMed EPUB and LRX books
Old 08-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #12
Hellmark
Wizard

I was mostly interested in epubs with ADEPT, since well, that is what everything seems to be switching to.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

DeDRMing ADEPT EPUBs in linux is quite trivial. But yes, they will work if you register your device with digital editions and use it to download the books to you computer, then use calibre to send them
Old 08-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #14
Hellmark
Wizard

Oh, I know, and the DRM'ed epubs I've bought, I immediately stripped the DRM. I was just curious if it was possible, without stripping the DRM.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:51 PM   #15
TomHiggins
Emonk
TomHiggins began at the beginning.

Device: Soney PRS 505
DRM fluff and bother

Is nice runing Linux as we can avoid much of the DRM clap trap spread out over the years.

Much as I hate DRM i was tempted to try the Adobe Digital Lockdown Editions, I even got as far as installing it on a tinyXP virtual , but at the last moment I got my senses back and rm'd that noise.

Until and unless they make it a benefit to the paying customer I am having little or none of it. Fictionwise was able to sell me, with very little bother, an epub of Harlan Ellison's Dangerous Visions. If you can get something from Ellison that easy it should be a snap for other authors to get behind it.

As for VirtualBox vs VMware, VB 2.+ and soon 3.+ have some real muscle under the hood such that VMware has not been needed on my systems for some time. Even though a small part of VB is going under a non open license it still is hands down the virtualization app of choice for me.
TomHiggins is offline   Reply With Quote