Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-01-2017, 08:21 PM   #1
sweet_lemons
sweet_lemons began at the beginning.

Device: K4 NT
Exclamation USBNetworking with KUAL [non-conventional]

About a week ago, I posted here asking about missing gtk libraries on a K4-NT when attempting to launch KTerm from KUAL. I learned that I needed a touch-enabled device.

Now, I've got a K4 (Touch). However, I'm having the hardest time getting usbNetworking on it.

Steps:
- Jailbreak
- Restart to enable MKK
- Add KUAL file to "documents"
- Launch KUAL
- Upload Update_usbnetwork**.bin
The "Update Your Kindle" button is greyed out. Further, all Update_**.bin files are removed immediately after unmounting the kindle.
- Install KindleTools and follow instructions to convert and extract from .bin files
- Upload the appropriate usbnet folders to root of kindle and extensions (for use in KUAL)

After all that, I'm stuck. Using the USBNetwork Kindlet from KUAL, I "Toggle USBNetwork". However, plugging in USB defaults to file transfer mode regardless.

Any tips for getting USBNetworking going? Also, any ideas why Update_**.bins are not working?
sweet_lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
There is no such thing as a K4 with a touch screen.
Update_*.bin are model locked, since you do not know that device you have (by our nickname) you most likely have packages for the wrong model.

Please post the first six characters of the device's serial number.

Also post that firmware version your device is running.

This is a technical forum and those technical details are important to both you and the people who try to help you.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #3
sweet_lemons
sweet_lemons began at the beginning.

Device: K4 NT
derp. Explains why I was "stumped".

I just learned that I have a Kindle Touch (4th Generation).
Serial Number: B011 14...
Firmware: 5.3.7.3
Found the correct Update_usbnetwork**.bin for the device and installed.
Everything is working!

I'm hoping to do a Kindleberry Pi remix for a senior research project following this gist and using my new KT instead of the Paperwhite.

Are there any potential roadblocks you can foresee given my device info?
I've basically got this weekend to wrap up the Kindle portion of the project, any advice/help would be extra appreciated.

Thanks again for the kindness you've shown to another struggling noob!
sweet_lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
"Generation" names are from the marketing department and can vary from region to region (because not all parts of the world received all models of the Kindles).

Use the nickname in that table when you post here.
You call what you have a Kindle Touch, a K5 or a KT here (AND in your info box on the left - just for when you forget to mention what model you are posting about).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kual, usbnetwork, usbnetworking