Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #16
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Quote:
One doesn't need secondary LCD screen that Nook has, it is only a distraction from reading experience.
That's what I thought at first, but now I've grown to love it. The Nook also has a cool "swipe" feature that allows you to turn pages by swiping your finger along the LCD touchscreen. Once you get the hang of it, you'll never want to press the page turn button.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #17
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
What is most important is finding an e-reader that suits you and your needs. If you can go to Best Buy you will be able to see the Sony, Kindle, and Nook. That will probably help you make a better decision.

I want my e-reader to make my purchasing of reading material as easy as possible. For me, that means an e-reader that has WiFi or 3G. I travel enough that I know there are times I am not going to have a lap top with me or access to a computer. Having an e-reader that allows me to download what I want when I want it is very important to me. Having an e-reader that allows me to download from my archive effortlessly is important to me.

If I were to buy an e-pub reader today, it would be the Nook because it appears to be the best of the e-pubs that has Wifi or 3G and it is reasonably priced. I like my keyboard for taking notes and browsing the Kindle store. It is not that big and I don't notice it when I am reading. I don't understand why the Sonys are so expensive. It probably is the touchscreen, a feature which would drive me bonkers.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #18
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
The Nook also has a cool "swipe" feature that allows you to turn pages by swiping your finger along the LCD touchscreen. Once you get the hang of it, you'll never want to press the page turn button.
The same in Sony Readers. You also can configure which way you want to swipe Forward to backward to turn pages.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #19
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevdeforges View Post
The dictionary feature was an unexpected plus. It's really easy to use, but the one downside is that you don't seem to be able to add dictionaries (which I gather you can on the Kindles). I do make use of the dictionary on my Sony, but it would be really nice to be able to also have some language dico's (French-English and German-English). I think that's about my only "wished for" item with the Sony.
Not sure what demo model you saw, but my 650 has French, German, Italian, and Dutch language dictionaries on it, one for translating from that language to English and another for translating English to that other language for a total of eight language dictionaries.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #20
isis
Enthusiast
isis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony, Elonex, Imagin
I have seen a lot of ebook readers in colour today, well maybe they weren't true ebook devices, maybe they were tablets, I am not sure.
My question is why do people use the black and white ones more than the colour ones?
The noly thing I can think of is a memory issue with the colour ones xxx
isis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #21
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Here's what I've observed while researching ereaders for my first purchase.

B&W (e-ink) screens are easiest to read under most lighting conditions. It is easier to add light in the dark (for e-ink... not a backlit screen) than to take away light (for LCD displays like a laptop) if reading outdoors in sunshine.

The color LCD screens just cannot compete with e-ink in bright light. Inside, the color screens are killer. The e-ink screens have excellent readability in all lighting conditions except darkness. But it's simple to turn on a light or add a book light in that case.

Wait a few years and you will likely see color e-ink displays.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #22
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by isis View Post
I have seen a lot of ebook readers in colour today, well maybe they weren't true ebook devices, maybe they were tablets, I am not sure.
My question is why do people use the black and white ones more than the colour ones?
The noly thing I can think of is a memory issue with the colour ones xxx
The difference is in the screen quality. The color ones are some variety of LCD screen. With LCD you gain color and the ability to use more apps, but you lose battery life, clarity, and lack of glare. Put something like the color Nook or an iPad next to a Sony x50 or Kindle 3 to see the difference in screen quality. My 650 measures battery life in weeks and is easier to read than paper. Since the covers are the only parts of my book that are in color and I have a Palm Pre for the other apps, the LCD readers have no value for me. People with other reading materials/preferences will have other opinions.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #23
isis
Enthusiast
isis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony, Elonex, Imagin
Hi

Thank you so much for replying so quickly,I now know that I am going to get the Sony 650 reader.

I cant wait to get it, I will be in Ireland when Santa brings it haha
isis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #24
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by isis View Post
Hi

Thank you so much for replying so quickly,I now know that I am going to get the Sony 650 reader.

I cant wait to get it, I will be in Ireland when Santa brings it haha
The 650 is very nice indeed. In fact, for my money, any of the Sonys are nicer than any of the other EBRs. My portable (really does fit in a pocket) EBR of choice is my Sony 300 - if I didn't have one, I'd grab a 350 today! And I just took a look at the Daily Edition (the 950) and would buy one for home if I didn't already have a Kindle DX.

The 650 is a compromise between the 350 and the 950, but that doesn't mean that it's compromised. In fact, it is barely larger than my 300, so it's pretty portable, but has a larger screen which is nice.

I know you will be very happy together!
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote